force powers

The arguement that "I killed a bad guy who would likely do bad stuff down the road" didn't work.

If you used violence directly to prevent further violence, it was somehow justifiable.

With my previous example, let's say the Dark Jedi was attacking someone, and the Adept ambushed the Dark Jedi to save a life, that's fair game. But he was running away, and had opportunity to escape. He instead chose to ambush the Dark Jedi and kill him using the Force.

He got a dark side point.

Players also received plenty of opportunities in the game to work towards attonement.

One of my favorite moments as a Star Wars GM was when the players developed empathy for one of the major villians and set out to attone and rescue the Dark Jedi rather than kill him.

My main question would actually be, if the dark Jedi was so much more powerful, how did the adept kill him? And about the no choice idea, I was wrong as I speciously assumed that the adept was trapped with nowhere to go against a powerful foe, so the dark side point is certainly justifiable if you are a little strict. I'd say this would be a choice based on the circumstance and whether the player can present a compelling reason.

Did you ever read the Tales of the Jedi series?

Naomi Sunrider's husband was a powerful Jedi who wasn't paying attention and got suprised.

In the West End RPG rules-set, there is a Danger Sense Force Power. But you have to activate and maintain the power. Doing so, puts you at a dice-penalty to other actions, but you can't be suprised. The Dark Jedi knew that he was more powerful, and chose not to have the power activated. If the power was activated, he wouldn't have been caught off guard.

And as powerful as you may be, an unexpected lightsaber blade through your side will kill you.

The West End system wasn't level based, or class based either. You didn't get more hit points by "leveling up". You had bigger dice pools for other actions, but your Strength pool for soaking damage stayed pretty much the same forever. If you got hit by a lightsaber blade, you likely died.

Thusly, it was important to have lots of dice in dodging and parrying skills.

Ha! Compelling reasons shmeasons ;) Just give 'em a darkside point!

but seriously, if they start reasoning why their character did it you shouldn't bother listening. (maybe that's not what you're saying, but I have to suggest it anyway) If they didn't see a way out and THOUGHT they were in a dead end and played that trick, no DS point.

Awesome! Sounds like my type of PnP game. Can I be one of your players? :(

How did it manage Force use?

I use the wizards D20 system. While absurdly they dont have any danger sense that I remember off the top of my head, no high level jedi will be killed by one hit. A lightsaber does a max of 48+strength damage (as you advance level your saber goes up in damage from 2d8 to 6d8) not including critical hits. You get between d8 and d10 health as a dark side jedi usually. That means s/he should be able to survive approximately 3 or 4 saber hits.

I think that system works okay. There would be a better explanation in the rules than "the character is experienced and thus is able to take more damage" as to why they can avoid being cut in half by the saber when they are hit by it.

The West End system was fairly neat.

You got to add your Control rating to damage, and your Sense rating To-Hit.

Powerful Jedi had powers like "Reduce-Injury" that could take a fatal-blow, and reduce it one injury level. Stuff like that helped Jedi stay alive, but lightsabers were quite fatal in the hands of a Jedi.

I haven't played it online, but I'd be willing to. I could put together documents of the Force Powers. The basic rule mechanics you can learn in 5 minutes. It is one of the simplest rules systems I've ever encountered.

So how would basic things work, like detailed communication. Would you need a program to do the rolls, or would people use their honesty and say what happens. Would there be a virtual map? Could people choose pictures to represent them? How would one do anything if a member can't make it? How would one coordinate and do this?

There are a variety of programs for that.

It all depends. Sites like Ethereal Realms are chat-rooms with dice rollers that require no software. You have pictures for your characters, and can role-play there. Or you can get Web-RPG software that includes mapping, character sheets, etc.

I haven't looked into that kinda stuff in a while. I've wanted to run a game online, but never really have. Some of the systems claim to be fully customizable for any rules-set. Then again, if you have a flexible dice-roller, then you don't need the computer to really do anything else.

I'd probably RPG with you (though doing 4 at the same time could be tough...). A major RPG member who is in both my LOTR and BTVS has gone to Japan for 3 months and another member will be out of town. I can' t RPG solo, so I won't be doing that much of 2 of my RPGs this summer.

I'm definately willing to try and organize it.

I'm pretty busy with some side projects right now (doing web sites for people, etc)

Give me a week or two, and I'm willing to start running an online game. If you want in, drop me an email or PM. The West End books may be hard to find, but the rules are simple enough that I can probably put together documents for everything we need.

That's fine. I know a few players I could ask as well, but since they're local to me, I'm sure they would prefer face-to-face gaming.

The Rancor Pit

Star Wars RPG

These two sites feature TONS of resources for the game. The rules system is so easy, that I can teach it to anyone in five minutes. The only complicated part is character creation. I will have to type up rules/instructions for character creation.

I wouldn't mind giving this a try, if there's room.

I used to roleplay WAY back using those West End Games books, but it's been about 10 years since I did.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Well, I only have two players so far, so you'd be the third.

You're more than welcome to play. I strive for three-to-six players. When we get a group, we need to decide on a time-period and setting. It would also help if I knew what kind of game would wanted to play.

I'm normally a big fan of either three time periods. In the middle of the Thrawn trilogy, right before Empire Strikes Back, or during the KOTOR time period.