Re-makes of the greats

Quasar

I don't think it's necessarily confusing content with engine.

It would require HEAVY modding to make the Unreal engine do what you're talking about. It's not created to make dungeons and act as an RPG.

It would be far easier to remake Daggerfall in Morrowind.

...It would require HEAVY modding to make the Unreal engine do what you're talking about. It's not created to make dungeons and act as an RPG...

Neither is netimmerse, this is the same engine used on Pirates and the playboy mansion.

I talked to one of the devs on morrowind and asked him why they didn't go with the unreal engine. His anwser had nothing to do with that. He said it was about the engines inability to handle large number of characters on screen at once(This was a while ago so I may be a little off but I am certain I don't remember having that many anything on the screen ever in all my experience playing morrowind).

...It would be far easier to remake Daggerfall in Morrowind.

This is why they pay programers. I am convinced that it can be done just looking at my collection of mutators alone.

Yaw devs, Yaw!!! (

• 2 weeks later...

I've just tried to reinstall Might & Magic 7 on my fancy new Win2000, DirectX9 machine... and guess what? Won't play. So it occurs to me that many of my old favorites, which contain more gameplay goodness than most of the new games I've purchased recently, will eventually be relegated to the scrap heap simply because they won't be usable on new machines.

So hell yes I'd buy any and all upgrades of my favorite games, including but not limited to: All the old Might & Magic games (excluding 9, which sucked); all the old Wizardry games; Baldurs Gate and Baldurs Gate 2, with expansions; both Fallouts; Jagged Alliance 2.

Those are the main ones I can think of right now, but I'd buy all of these games at "new" game prices if they were upgraded for new software/hardware. The realization that all too soon I won't be able to play them at all is... scary. :p

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to see a remake of the Eye of the beholder saga (1-3). That would RAWK!

"The purpose of abstracting is not to be vague,

but to create a new semantic level in which one

can be absolutely precise."

-Edsger Dijkstra, 1930-2002

LARGEST SIG WINS !?

This seems to be as good a place as any to post this...

I've noticed that a lot of people seem really sick of the basic "pseudo medieval with magic" settings so common to RPGs. Why is that? There's nothing about that setting that in any way inhibits creativity... True, the world could use a few more good sci-fi RPGs, but there's nothing wrong with more fantasy. I think the problem isn't so much with the basic fantasy setting as that no one really does anything NEW with it when they make their fantasy RPGs. But that

How many tactical RPGs have you played?

If you want large armies, then play the Total War series. If you want a tactical RPG, then you're dealing with small squads, or battles would take ages. I wouldn't mind seeing a darker, grittier tactical RPG.

Dark Omen! Best. Tactical RPG:ish game. Ever.

http://www.cdmag.com/articles/011/166/dark_omen_review.html

To me its quite obvious why most people like remakes of the old-school games. As a starved cRPG enthusiast new kewl game features and technical gizmos sounds 'meh!' at best. I mean all the shiny things a developer pours into a game, that dont contribute to the story, takes away valuable development resources from the said story.

The new innovative cRPG features such as arcade like fighting, tactical mumbojumbo, graphical magic, all sounds good, but seriously dont add anything solid and time resistant to the cRPG game. Most people, IMO, want the developers to utilize the KISS dogma and focus their efforts at what matters in a cRPG.

I would love to hear from a developer that brags about the new writers or innovative story they are developing. I would love to hear about tools and game resources that support the story and dialogue - the RPG:ish elements of the game. Not the new graphical bla bla that lets you use custom hilts on your lightstick.

Since this likely never will happen, I wish for remakes of the simple but true RPG games I enjoyed, and keep on enjoying.

Back to playing BG i guess. And look into Dark Omen if you dont have.

"The purpose of abstracting is not to be vague,

but to create a new semantic level in which one

can be absolutely precise."

-Edsger Dijkstra, 1930-2002

LARGEST SIG WINS !?

Hmmm.... Well, the lack of ability to pause would give me the same issues with Dark Omen that I have with WC3. I LIKE realtime strategy, but I'm just not that fast, darn it. :) I likes me my strategy turn based much more.

Battles involving large numbers of units COULD be done quickly if entire squads of units could be given orders as a whole and act all at once, unleashing spells or ranged attacks or whatever as AI dictates.

And really, I am more interested in what people think of the system save idea. (I have no clue as to wether thats original or not, but I did think it up by myself. If there IS another TRPG out there with an option like this, please let me know! :)) Also, thoughts on how it would work as a multiplayer game would be appreciated as well.

See. that's the thing. Games like WC3 are RTS rather than a tactical RPG. With a tactical RPG, every unit has unique stats, and advances. WC3 has heroes, who have this to an extent. Imagine how slow WC3 would go if you needed to do exact movement for each troop, and give each attack command for each unit every round rather than having reat-time combat?

I'm a late comer to pc gaming, so my list would probably be a zillion old 8-bit titles... <_>

Some all time favs:

Lords of Midnight/Doomdarks Revenge, the best turnbased strategy/rpg mix ever. Has actually been remade in a great pc version. I'm still beating the crap out of it :p

Forbidden Forest, the best survival/horror game ever. Resident evil go home. This game still gives me goosebumps when reaching the final stage... :ph34r:

Ultima I-IV, doesn't need a lot of explanation :)

Fort Apocalypse, outstanding action game. Can anybody spell claustrophobic ? Trying to navigate your chopper above and below ground, dodging flak and missiles. Had that magic mix of being frantic without being unplayable :p

Seven cities of gold/Heart of Africa, from back when EA releases were looked forward to.

Elite, the first real space exploration/trading game. Originally released on the Acorn BBC computer. The first game that gave me a feeling of total freedom, where do you wan't to try your luck today ?

Boulderdash, I'll be damned if you can't find a handful of cheap clones somewhere out there, I just never did, the idea is so simple...

Lets see, that was a small handful from my wishlist of remakes, only a few hundred more to go ;)

Bah, who cares. Most of these titles are from before half of the board members were born...

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein