Re-makes of the greats

Quasar

So, let's take an example at random. Baldur's gate - An absolutely stunning game, but getting on in years, no? How'd it be if this awesome game was ported to the Kotor 2 engine... With full sword duelling etcetera... I personally would buy it!

Come on Obsidian, we want the classics!

I want a remake of Wasteland, but with an engine that represents the best of todays technology. I'm not sure about how InXile will treat Wasteland..

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

All we know is they are going to outsource it.  Maybe to Obsidian.  ;)

I wouldn't want Obsidian to handle Wasteland! I mean, a company that makes a KotOR-sequel really should have nothing to do with Wasteland. They'll be too disneyfied (or in this case LucasArtsified) by then. InXile has Brian Fargo who I think was the main designer on the original Wasteland together with Alan Pavlish.. If they could consult Alan for the new Wasteland AND skip the comic style they have chosen for Bard's Tale (which is what makes me worry about InXile) then it might be a great game. I want more of that gritty, realistic, wasteland feel!

I'd rather have Baldur's Gate + Expansion + Baldur's Gate 2 + Expansion recreated using 3.5 and a good solid turn based engine.

How about redone with the TOEE engine?

Only if they could fix the bugs (which is why I almost... but didn't... use it in my original statement :blink: )

Take another look at games like Fallout and Planescape Torment again.

Are you accusing these guys of Disney-fying games based upon a product that's not even released yet and discounting their past titles?

That's rather fair.

Ok, want to make a bet then? I bet you $100 that the word fuck won't appear anywhere in KotOR2.

Perhaps you want to make a bet about STD's? Or if there will be functioning brothels? Or perhaps you think we'll be able to kill children? Hey, you think we'll be able to steal from the stores this time around? Do you think we'll even see dismemberment in this installment? Do you think there will be any kind of sex in the entire game? Or nudity?

Besides, my LucasArtsified remark was to be considered a joke. I just want the original team to do the new version of Wasteland.

Ok, want to make a bet then? I bet you $100 that the word fuck won't appear anywhere in KotOR2.

Perhaps you want to make a bet about STD's? Or if there will be functioning brothels? Or perhaps you think we'll be able to kill children? Hey, you think we'll be able to steal from the stores this time around? Do you think we'll even see dismemberment in this installment? Do you think there will be any kind of sex in the entire game? Or nudity?

Besides, my LucasArtsified remark was to be considered a joke. I just want the original team to do the new version of Wasteland.

Why would it? It would seem out of place in a Star Wars game.

You're arguing that this team would Disney-fy Wasteland based upon their decision to do a StarWars game. That logic astounds me.

SquareSoft put out a game called XenoGears which is quite dark and disturbing. The plotline of the game encourages you to hate God, and has the main character killing everyone and everything that is near and dear to him.

Final Fantasy Legend also has you killing God.

Yet this is the same company that put out a Disney title. Just because you do a game with lighter content doesn't preclude you from doing a dark title, or vice versa. The OE crew has ALREADY PROVED they can handle dark content. Your comments assuming they would dumb down such content is ignorant.

Last time I checked, Star Wars was the number 2 highest grossing film of all time, and Star Wars is an unmatched cultural phenomena. Tons of people would kill for the opportunity to develop a game in that universe, and OE has the wonderful distinction of playing in the KOTOR time period where they have less to worry about Lucas's continuity or rules. And even if it wasn't a Star Wars RPG, they were handed the keys to the Game of the Year. That's not a bad way to start off a new company and make a name for yourself.

I'll take Torment over KOTOR, but KOTOR:TSL will likely gross ten-times what Torment:2 would, and that may give OE the money to pursue a new IP. I'm down with that.

Well, Mr. Obvious, I think everyone knows that doing KotOR2 is a great chance for any company, seeing as how successful the first game was. That still doesn't change the fact that I would rather have seen Bioware doing KotOR2 themselves and Obsidian using their talent to make more of those rare games (like Planescape: Torment 2) that I imagine only they can do. Now we're getting Dragon Age, a new IP from Bioware, while Obsidian are stuck doing a sequel for LucasArts (death to creativity!). Oh well.

Alongside the fact that those are not Star Wars elements, they by no means make a game dark or mature. Rather the opposite, really. Hot-button topics like swearing and sex usually serve to make a game more immature when included just for the sake of being "edgey".

A game can be perfectly mature without resorting to default curses and trite taboos.

Elements like you describe are only useful when they suit the setting and world of the game, and then only when seamlessly merged with that world and don't jump out as though to say "Look at me! I'm controversial!".

I see no reason to assume that a hypothetical remake of Wasteland by Obsidian would be "Disneyfied" in any way, simply because of what KOTOR will or will not contain. That sort of arguing is extremely ineffectual and lacks any sense of being informed.

Edit: As for KOTOR2 being "death to creativity", you're just being daft. First you want a remake of Wasteland, and then condemn Obsidian for making a sequel to an enormously successful cRPG. Yeah, Bioware are doing an "original" game, a fantasy game - we'll see how original and creative it is upon release. I'm willing to bet that KOTOR2 will be more interesting than Dragon Age, simply by merit of the development team's abilities.

newlogo.gif

Well, Mr. Obvious, I think everyone knows that doing KotOR2 is a great chance for any company, seeing as how successful the first game was. That still doesn't change the fact that I would rather have seen Bioware doing KotOR2 themselves and Obsidian using their talent to make more of those rare games (like Planescape: Torment 2) that I imagine only they can do. Now we're getting Dragon Age, a new IP from Bioware, while Obsidian are stuck doing a sequel for LucasArts (death to creativity!). Oh well.

They can't do that because they first need to make a name for themselves, get themselves some money coming in before they can make games like that that are somewhat more risky. Why do you think it took BioWare so long to make their own IP like Jade Empire and Dragon Age? Obsidian right now are in, ironically, the same position BioWare was in when Feargus and Interplay gave them Baldur's Gate franchise to work on.

Edit: As for KOTOR2 being "death to creativity", you're just being daft. First you want a remake of Wasteland, and then condemn Obsidian for making a sequel to an enormously successful cRPG. Yeah, Bioware are doing an "original" game, a fantasy game - we'll see how original and creative it is upon release. I'm willing to bet that KOTOR2 will be more interesting than Dragon Age, simply by merit of the development team's abilities.

Quite useless discussing this with someone so far off the point. But I'll clarify one thing (so you'll understand how much crap your post contains):

KotOR2 isn't death to creativity. Working for LucasArts is. (Or so I've heard..)