Game Length

The first game was advertised as a 50 hour game. I beat it the first time one my PC in around 30 hours (a little under) and did all of the sidequests. In my subsequent 5 games I beat it in around 20-24 hours while still doing the sidequests. Either I'm missing alot of the sidequests (I'm pretty sure that's not the case as the tatooine swoop racing and signing Nico is the only one I have been unable to do), or for people who know how the game works or are experienced with RPGs the game is alot shorter.

I am wondering if this happened for anyone else and reccomending Obsidian make their game longer than Bioware's (KOTOR was still probably the best or one of the best games I've played).

The first game was advertised as a 50 hour game. I beat it the first time one my PC in around 30 hours (a little under) and did all of the sidequests. In my subsequent 5 games I beat it in around 20-24 hours while still doing the sidequests. Either I'm missing alot of the sidequests (I'm pretty sure that's not the case as the tatooine swoop racing and signing Nico is the only one I have been unable to do), or for people who know how the game works or are experienced with RPGs the game is alot shorter.

I am wondering if this happened for anyone else and reccomending Obsidian make their game longer than Bioware's (KOTOR was still probably the best or one of the best games I've played).

It definitely was too short. I've found that if you do alot of running around (going to get Jolee and HK before getting any of the Star Maps other than Dantooine then coming back to do the side quests on Dantooine etc. ) it lasts alot longer.....but if you do it in just one straight shot, staying on one planet 'til you've done everything....it's alot shorter. <_<

I hope kotor 2 is more BG2's length... Damn, that was an awesome game!

Couldn't agree more. Truly epic...

Damn. I remember my arguement about BG a few weeks back where someone claimed that no one called BG epic.

I was GREATLY disappointed with BG. I digress.

I pulled up the saved games on my XBox Hard Drive. Many a person has beaten KOTOR at my house. The average length of game play seemed to be 28-30 hours by the time someone got to the Star Forge and their final save game.

Unbelievable. All of my games take 55-60 hours (mainly because I'm a completionist).

I think the main quest should take more "turns" so to speak. In KOTOR, we start on Taris, and that place is pretty big with a lot of stuff going on. Then we have the next phase where we go from planet to planet finding Star Maps. Then we finish up at the Star Forge.

Assuming a different story, it would be nice if the pacing of the game wasn't so predictable. It sort of has the same overall form as a Zelda game: Intro, Levels/dungeons (in this case, planets) where you find something, then Final Battle. Maybe the game could be more erratic in form, for example, Intro, Ambush, two planet/levels, party split up, three more planet/levels, most of party reunited, big boss battle, two more planet/levels, etc. There should be a change in your main quest at a certain point in time. One of the things I liked about HALO.

What you describe sounds an awful lot like the typical plot of a console RPG. I don't know why everyone knocks them.

I'll take the next Final Fantasy title over the next dungeon crawl computer game.

I'm a completionist too, and it hurts watching my girlfriend play and not even bother to explore the whole map. It seems like blasphemy.

Edit: And for the record, while everyone loves Halo, and I have played it to completion several times, it is still a Half Life clone right down to the brain-sucker aliens.

I completed everything and explored every area. I did all but two quests (tatooine racing undoable because of strange computer lag for no reason and thus I couldn't sign nico). Even so it takes me 20-25 hours to do everything. I've checked lists of sidequests and I've done them.

I guess I'm not the only one who never completed the swoop racing sidequest with niko.

It was too choppy on my computer to be able to ever get a time needed to win the races. Thank God the racers on Taris were terrible, or I'd have never gotten off that world ;)

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

It should be noted that the time spent sitting in front of the game, and the game-clock on your save are different. If I decided to try one way of handling things, reloading and tried something else, I put more time into the game. But by reloading, I went back to an earlier period of time on the game clock.

My save game had 30 hours, but I probably spent 35 or more hours playing.

It was too choppy on my computer to be able to ever get a time needed to win the races. Thank God the racers on Taris were terrible, or I'd have never gotten off that world ;)

The other swoop races and the rest of the game worked fine for my pentium 4. My computer just didn't like Tatooine. Likewise, when I first got the game there was a bug where my game autopaused while loading on the leviathan during the torture. Thus it always froze up there. It was fixed by a patch. I guess I was just unlucky and my disc came with alot of bugs.

I haven't a clue as to how long the original KotOR was for me but it felt about right, time wise. I appreciate the desire for epic style RPGs that take months to finish and feature the ultimate battle of good and evil but I think their time has passed for now. The trend towards shorter game lengths with, sometimes, more modest struggles is one I wholeheartedly encourage.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I think that KOTOR has around the right amount of time, but one should be able to make it longer through harder minigames which one can spend hours doing alone and more extensive sidequests that, at the player's option, can greatly increase the amount of time you play. I like the Final Fantasy system where you can beat the game relatively quickly, but it is alot harer to master it. I also think that it would be nice if KOTOR had a super powerful enemy or enemies that act like Ultima weapon (or depending on what game Ruby and Emerald Weapon). Maybe a rival would be nice in the game that would be approximately equivocable to the main character in power.

Anyway, I feel that a really hard (harder than final boss) optional boss would be awesome for those of us who wish to master KOTOR.

for everyones information, TSL will be a 5 hr game, featuring 3 hrs of dialogue by the amazing voice talents of mgnails and Admiral Chemix. the other 2 hrs will be lieing to people about how your going to make a mod and fighting off Raven with fire hoses to put out the flame.

I knew it was inevitable that you would descend on this relatively focused forum and force it to devolve to a lesser form through random and irrelevent information.

Basically you ruin every discussion you enter.

I knew it was inevitable that you would descend on this relatively focused forum and force it to devolve to a lesser form through random and irrelevent information.

Basically you ruin every discussion you enter.

you registered two days ago, you dont know anything about me. but on the otehr hand, you could have recovered the whole topic with an alternate post, but instead you have to add fuel to my post ruining fire :D