Ranged weapons more powerful - why?

In kotor, you'd think that Canderous would enjoy his family heavy blaster, since it is his weapon of choice. I mean.. "Heavy".

But if you ditch that, and give him dual wield (soldier = 1 feat per level), and stick him with Ajunta Pall's blade or later a Baragwin blade + some other sword, he'll be the most powerful fighter you have, stronger than your jedi, but with lower saves. Add that regen, and he's a powerhouse.

So why use heavy weaps (or ranged crap) at all?

"You have offended my family, and you have offended the Shaolin temple." Bruce Lee, Enter the Dragon

Change the Ajunta Pall's sword to Naga Sadow's sword and we got a killing machine.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Hades, how the heck did your ship do a "full reverse" from going in full throttle (like Luke orders) without getting blown away by Vader and his wingmen (or even a tower)?

Shields help. :D

Being a droid he doesn't have to worry to much about G forces. We were also using real space rules variant so going full burn in reverse made the manuever quite simple. Keep in mind of Vader and his wingman's speeds. They past me in an instant.

Mind you the starfighter that I used, a X wing variant, was pretty much scrap metal when I rammed Vader.

In the beginning of the game, the first vendor on Taris talks about shield technology.  It stops blaster fire, but is useless against standard melee weapons.  That's why melee weapons made a come-back.

Why people didnt just switch to disruptors I dont know. ;)

From what I saw, disruptors don't do a heck of a lot of damage; 1-4 or 1-6. Not that Blasters did a whole lot more.

I could see republic soldiers swearing off the nasty things (the description says they're extremely painful to the victim, though I'm not sure that's realistic. Nerve's are made of molecules, and don't function as a whole on the molecular level... very fine blades cause little to no pain), but Sith would use them all out. They like the in your face stuff, but guns against swords? Realistically... but in game mechanics, I guess things don't work out that way. If the game mechanics say it's bad, who are the Sith to argue?

In all fairness, when outnumbered 100-to-1, Jedi fell to blaster fire.

Yep, that's why so many Jedi died in the Clone Wars.

Nah Jedi died in the Clone Wars because at some point Jedi became wussy peace keepers that could barely fulfill that role. They never had a chance. Now if the Jedi would just act like freaking warriors they could have used their powers logically and to their full advantage and won any war. The way I thought of the Jedi when i first saw ANH were as some kind of mystical wandering knights/warrior poets. Thats what they should be. None of this I am going to stand in a small little arena thats is overflowing with enemy droids firing blasters at me when I COULD just disengage and just straight back up into the stands and retreat. But nooooo they have to fight and die in the stupidest way imaginable because George Lucas is an idiot.

In all fairness, when outnumbered 100-to-1, Jedi fell to blaster fire.

Yep, that's why so many Jedi died in the Clone Wars.

Nah Jedi died in the Clone Wars because at some point Jedi became wussy peace keepers that could barely fulfill that role. They never had a chance. Now if the Jedi would just act like freaking warriors they could have used their powers logically and to their full advantage and won any war. The way I thought of the Jedi when i first saw ANH were as some kind of mystical wandering knights/warrior poets. Thats what they should be. None of this I am going to stand in a small little arena thats is overflowing with enemy droids firing blasters at me when I COULD just disengage and just straight back up into the stands and retreat. But nooooo they have to fight and die in the stupidest way imaginable because George Lucas is an idiot.

If GL is such an idiot! Then why are you here talking about a SW game? I mean if it wasn't cause of GL and his vision, you me or anyone else wouldn't be here....cause there would be no SW.

But you are right, he does screw up at times. Like having Ewoks in EP6 instead of Wookies like it was supposed to be.

Why switch to disruptors? I'd switch to a good old gun.

I second this motion. Why don't they just use guns? Swords in a space age setting simply do not make sense. Sure, it works if you can deflect a missile weapon with it (Jedi), but having a random guy with a sword close in on a guy with a gun who is shooting at him and hitting makes no sense.

George Lucas' strengths don't make his weaknesses and stupid fallacies a strength as well.

I think he meant idiot when he made the Jedi sit and die like idiots. If you ask me, if you want to simulate strategically deep battles you needs someone who knows what to do.

I could see republic soldiers swearing off the nasty things (the description says they're extremely painful to the victim, though I'm not sure that's realistic. Nerve's are made of molecules, and don't function as a whole on the molecular level... very fine blades cause little to no pain), but Sith would use them all out. They like the in your face stuff, but guns against swords? Realistically... but in game mechanics, I guess things don't work out that way. If the game mechanics say it's bad, who are the Sith to argue?

Duncan McCloud of the clan McCloud could block a musket ball with his Katana. B)

Hades, how the heck did your ship do a "full reverse" from going in full throttle (like Luke orders) without getting blown away by Vader and his wingmen (or even a tower)?

Shields help. :D

Being a droid he doesn't have to worry to much about G forces. We were also using real space rules variant so going full burn in reverse made the manuever quite simple. Keep in mind of Vader and his wingman's speeds. They past me in an instant.

Mind you the starfighter that I used, a X wing variant, was pretty much scrap metal when I rammed Vader.

I was unaware that the X-Wing could even go in reverse...mind you you did say it was a variant.

The ship itself would still have to stand up to the G-Forces however....but whatever.

Like I said, the ship was scrap once I got done with it. :wacko:

In that campaign Halberd went through about 12 different starfighters, some of which were stolen from the Empire others were borrowed from the Republic Fleet. ;)

If I could play Commander Halberd again I would have such a blast.

George Lucas' strengths don't make his weaknesses and stupid fallacies a strength as well.

I think he meant idiot when he made the Jedi sit and die like idiots. If you ask me, if you want to simulate strategically deep battles you needs someone who knows what to do.

That is very true.

I just see it like this though. GL is a man, like every man he makes mistakes and many mistakes that many can point out. Overall I like the man and respect him.

Again, if it wasn't from him then we wouldn't be talking about a TSL. Hell, if it wasn't from the prequels we probably wouldn't be talking about a TSL. The prequels gave SW more life in my mind. Some for the negative and some for the postive, but at the end it obviously worked cause....you are here right now.

I'm looking for it as of now but I remember an old KOTOR interview in which the guy said that KOTOR was heavily inspired by the prequels. :ph34r:

I think he meant idiot when he made the Jedi sit and die like idiots.  If you ask me, if you want to simulate strategically deep battles you needs someone who knows what to do.

That is very true.

I just see it like this though. GL is a man, like every man he makes mistakes and many mistakes that many can point out. Overall I like the man and respect him.

Again, if it wasn't from him then we wouldn't be talking about a TSL. Hell, if it wasn't from the prequels we probably wouldn't be talking about a TSL. The prequels gave SW more life in my mind. Some for the negative and some for the postive, but at the end it obviously worked cause....you are here right now.

I'm looking for it as of now but I remember an old KOTOR interview in which the guy said that KOTOR was heavily inspired by the prequels. :ph34r:

Yep, after playing the trough KotOR the first time you can easily tell that the whole thing is a tribute to the original trilogy.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy