Ranged weapons more powerful - why?

It seems to me, that Jedis SHOULD be uber powerful compared to guys with blasters. If KOTOR2 has a guy with a pistol in your party as powerful as a force wielding jedi... that's just stupid, in terms of context, even though it makes sense in terms of playability.

What if I'm playing a Jedi with a blaster? Particularly early on, when you apparently don't have a lightsaber.

The problem with KotOR1 is, people go to try something new (like a blaster Jedi, in particular Consulars so they can stay at the back), but find the engine is so biased towards sabers that they have little to no chance of actually being successful.

It seems to me, that Jedis SHOULD be uber powerful compared to guys with blasters. If KOTOR2 has a guy with a pistol in your party as powerful as a force wielding jedi... that's just stupid, in terms of context, even though it makes sense in terms of playability.

I think when they say that ranged weapons will be more powerful, they mean in terms of them actually being favorable to use at longer range. For a Jedi to be effective, they have to be in close ranged combat (unless you use Force powers from afar). So making ranged weapons more powerful when the enemy is still a good distance away makes sense.

I don't think they actually meant that the most powerful gun will do as much damage as the most powerful lightsaber. Just that they're improving the actual function of ranged weapons.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Mira's wrist-rocketlauncher in the E3-video seemed pretty powerful IMO.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I thought the main point was that a blaster would have a significant advantage over a sword or something like that. Non-jedi therefore, lacking blaster deflection, would be better served to remain at long range. It was also supposed to make it so that non-jedi npc's are more useful and I believe someone stated that was the point of the rocket to begin with. Really how many of you played with all the characters in the original? I mostly used Bastilla, Jolee, and Carth. I made Carth a dex-based character and he didn't do so well without two jedi in the party to keep him from being ganged up on, even against people with swords.

Technically a Jedi should be able to just force push the rocket back. I don't find Mira's wrist rocket launcher to be some great Jedi equalizer. Jedi will be uber. It's just how it is in SW. Best they can do is make Mira and others just so kewl you have to take them along sometime.

I agree that sabers should be deadly. I don't think blasters were horribly underpowered.

I think the real problem is that non-Jedi lacked other support skills that made them worthwhile. You can walk into mines and quickly run away. You could bash open locks. And who needed to repair support droids when you had a powerful party of Jedi who could Force Wave and Heal?

All the combat, with the exception of 1 on 1 Jedi Combat, was stupid and unrealistic.

Heavy repeating blasters at range should beat Joe Blow the random sword wielding hick, but in KOTOR it didn't.

Jedis with lightsabers should be able to slice of the head of anyone who didn't have a melee weapon of some kind to defend themselves(I'm being generous and accepting that every single weapon in KOTOR was coated with a lightsaber proof material), but in KOTOR they don't.

The D20 system, as good as it is, just can't do Star Wars right.

In the beginning of the game, the first vendor on Taris talks about shield technology. It stops blaster fire, but is useless against standard melee weapons. That's why melee weapons made a come-back.

Why people didnt just switch to disruptors I dont know. :unsure:

My PnP Star Wars character, a droid combat pilot (prototype droid that mixed the abilities of a astromech droid and a combat droid) had a bipolar energy blaster that popped up on his right arm. Visually he looked like Colossus (X Men fame) fully metalled up.

Lt. Commander Halberd was not one to mess with and killed quite a number of Imperial soldiers and fighter pilots. We were redoing the Battle of Yavin and I had Luke's back instead of what's his name. When Darth Vader and his crew came in I pulled a full reverse and Darth Vader and his wing flew right pass then I gunned the engines again. I opened up and killed Vader's wingmen and rammed Vader with my ship, killinghim, and ejected.

I used a magnetic grappler (never leave home without one) and struck Luke's X Wing and flew out with him as the Death Star exploded.

The most dangerous character ever in my Star Wars campaign was an NPC called OS-3PO. He was a droid obsessed with conspiracy theories, and was very paranoid.

He just out-thought everyone. Who needed weapons? Once, the most powerful Jedi PC in our chronicle decided to cross him. She learned to regret it.

I don't care who you are, or what "mysterious" powers you may possess, if I shoot you repeatedly with a gun of any kind and you fail to block the bullets through any means, you would either die or be out of the fight for a very long time.

This reminds of that scene in Indiana Jones: Raiders of the lost ark where some dude jumps out and does a couple of fancy sword moves and is promptly shot.