A few things that bugged me about KOTOR

Allow me first to say that I loved KOTOR. I am not a Star Wars super fan but I enjoyed the movies and most of the games I have played up till KOTOR had revolved around everything but the Jedi.

The only things I could add to the game are

1- the ability to use a gamepad for the PC, it is a console type game and the keyboard can get irritating

2- More combat freedom more like Jefi Academy's idea of that you have button combos to do certain moves instead of always pausing to chose what you want

All the other ideas to make a great game better I have seen you already added. I am not sure if that was added to just thought I'd mention it as a prospective consumer.

Allow me first to say that I loved KOTOR.  I am not a Star Wars super fan but I enjoyed the movies and most of the games I have played up till KOTOR had revolved around everything but the Jedi.

^agrees

1- the ability to use a gamepad for the PC, it is a console type game and the keyboard can get irritating

Xbox version here...

2- More combat freedom more like Jefi Academy's idea of that you have button combos to do certain moves instead of always pausing to chose what you want

So, your trying to make a good game worse? Leave the combos to Soul Caliber...

Meh. My 200,000 cents...

Allow me first to say that I loved KOTOR.  I am not a Star Wars super fan but I enjoyed the movies and most of the games I have played up till KOTOR had revolved around everything but the Jedi.

The only things I could add to the game are

All the other ideas  to make a great game better I have seen you already added.  I am not sure if that was added to just thought I'd mention it as a prospective consumer.

Wait, so you want to make it more like Deus Ex 2 a dismal failure; and less like KotOR, an absolute success? NEXT!

The game controlls can be customized to work on a PC setup, which i find much, MUCH better then a controller will ever be (i can't even imagining playing this game without a mouse cursor).

Either that, or get an Xbox (if you can bear the loading times...)

This is an RPG, not Mortal Combat.

So use the mouse, like I do... Holding down both buttons and moving makes you run around.

Damn, I hope they don't remove mouse movement control!

I've never played the PC version: If I had an average gaming PC, would the load times be faster than on Xbox? If so, that's a very good reason to upgrade my PC...

Yes, they are much faster, but they still have every single loading place that the Billy Gates Box had due to the simultaneous development. Stupid Billy Gates Box, if I have a freaking gig of ram I shouldn't have to load ever few steps. <_<

I dunno. I have a 5200 Ultra, 128 megs, plus 700 something megs of PC-2100 Ram. Is that mid range, or low range? Well, it plays like crap, but the load times are zooming.

That would be Mid-Range IMO. Every good gaming PC needs at least a gig of ram to keep it happy. :lol:

I have to say, I have a friend at school who says that xbox far outstrips PC in terms of everything. I can do nothing but laugh at him.

PC has better graphics (come on, geforce 3?!) speed... everything. Consoles are irrelevant!

[/rant]

A halfway decent system.

If your motherboard supports the faster FSB speed of the later Pentium 4's, I'd jump up to a 2.4 or a 2.6

They're pretty cheap, and the increase in speed is substantial because of the FSB.

After that, I'd upgrade to 512 megs of memory. The speed of the memory is also a big factor. Once again, this depends on your motherboard. In fact, the memory might be the first thing I'd upgrade.

And the Radeon 9600 series is also getting pretty cheap and features a big jump in performance because of the Direct X 9 support.

The upgrades are fairly cheap if you do it yourself and order parts from www.newegg.com

~shrugs~

I'll do what I always do. Keep my computer the way it is until I hit a game I can't play and then I'll upgrade per the recommendations. It odd though, I had smooth performance and fast loading times even though my system isn't as good as that other fellows.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

The weaknesses of KotOR are:

Lack of full character creation in comparison to the Star Wars d20 PnP.

Poor implementation of the PnP rules.

The linear nature of the story.

The lack of the ability to just explore a planet or region of space.

The complete and total non-challenge of a game.

The game can be challenging...sometimes. The pnp rules are adapted ok for a videogame. The lack of skills and feats at character creation kind of is a point, but I think KOTOR's plot is very good and character creation is good regardless (how would they incorporate that many skills into the game without delaying it 6 years).

I'm just curious (and for the first time, not just flaming you), but what game actually fits the description of what you posted? I'm not too familiar with a lot of RPGs, so I have no clue what games actually include EVERYTHING you just posted.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Let's compare your list to Planescape Torment.

Torment's character creation was more constricting than KOTOR's. Torment wouldn't let you pick gender or portrait.

Torment was equally a poor implementation of rules, and relied upon the IE engine.

Torment was equally linear.

Torment had fewer areas to explore.

And one could argue that Torment didn't present much of a challenge at combat either.

Yet, Torment is one of the greatest games on the PC ever.

I'm just curious (and for the first time, not just flaming you), but what game actually fits the description of what you posted? I'm not too familiar with a lot of RPGs, so I have no clue what games actually include EVERYTHING you just posted.

Every game has its strengths and weaknesses and just to be fair I will list the strengths of KotOR before answering your question.

KotOR Strengths:

Very involving and well written story.

Graphics and music that really draws you in.

Memorable characters such as HK-47 and Mission.

It is hands down the best Star Wars game I have ever played.

Now to address your question one of my favorite games of all time is Fallout 1. It allows the player to create any type of character, from a melee monkey martial artist (though Fallout 2 is better in that regard). to a heavy weapons expert or even a diplomatic pacifist. The story options allow the multiple ways to beat the game, through guile, diplomacy, or by combat. If you haven't played it I suggest you do. Fallout 2 isn't as good but also worth a play.

Baldur's Gate 1 and Baldur's Gate 2 are two games that is acceptable in its PnP translation and allows the player to make a character as he or she wants to play within the context of its rules system. Just avoid ToB. Also if you do get both get the BGTuTu mod. BGTuTu allows you to play BG1 using the BG2 rules. Also it has plenty of challenge to the game.