Planescape: Torment Sequel.

Stinky

i love the original. its a sad truth that most so called gamers out there - they dont know what a great game PT really is. but i really have longed for a sequel for about 5 years now. and sadly - there has been absolutely no word if a sequel would be ever made. i was eve thinking if the name could be released to public (so they wouldnt have to buy the rights to development) so it could be a open-source project... then maybe we would get a Project going. but thats something thats very unrealistic. so i just want to say that there are still people that wait patiently for a sequel to Planescape: Torment. Hell, i even have alot of ideas for storyline... So my wish is for PT sequel to be developed :lol:

Hmm.... Speaking of which, do you even know you owns the rights for Planescape:Torment? I know that the setting belongs to Wizards of the Coast, but what about the game?

Otherwise, I think it would be a great idea for a Planescape 2, but I'm not completly convinced that an IP wouldn't be a better choice for Obsidian's next game.

"I'm waiting for someone to say something really stupid, and then I can quote them." -Anonymous

i always thought that PT rights were owned by interplay... and seeing as they have real problems (some say that they are finished, but i didnt read that anywhere), i thought that perhaps they may release the rights, or just sell it at a cheaper price... but i dont REALLY know who owns the rights to the game. ill have to research on that...

EDIT: hmm... cant really find who owns the rights to PT now, but i know that BIS owned the right to the game...

Just to let you know, the PS setting *is* still continued, although only semi-officially. Wizards of the Coast gives the nod of aproval to This site. It is still possible for a sequel to be developed if somehow someone buys the rights to make the game (after all, if is a discontinued series, then WotC has nothing to lose from a deal to buy game rights), but the odds of this actually happening are about the odds of Baldur's Gate III being made.

"I'm waiting for someone to say something really stupid, and then I can quote them." -Anonymous

I am not an avid DnD'er, but from what I heard the Manual of the Planes has a different take on the Planes and contradicts the Planescape setting.

When Torment was released, the table-top setting wasn't necessarily popular or huge. Atari owns the rights to do DnD CRPGs, so I'm in no hurry to see a Planescape title if Atari has anything to do with it.

What made Torment great was the writing, not necessarily the setting. While a sequel would likely feature the Spire and plenty of doors, the characters that made Torment great would not return.

Only Atari could do a Planescape Torment sequel. I think they own the rights now, strangely enough. Will they? I doubt that very much but if they did they should give it to Obsidian to do. Only MCA should be the lead designer on it again.

i love the original. its a sad truth that most so called gamers out there - they dont know what a great game PT really is. but i really have longed for a sequel for about 5 years now. and sadly - there has been absolutely no word if a sequel would be ever made. i was eve thinking if the name could be released to public (so they wouldnt have to buy the rights to development) so it could be a open-source project... then maybe we would get a Project going. but thats something thats very unrealistic. so i just want to say that there are still people that wait patiently for a sequel to Planescape: Torment. Hell, i even have alot of ideas for storyline... So my wish is for PT sequel to be developed :)

No, not a PS:T sequel! Leave it alone. It was perfectly put together and completed as is.

Make another game in the style of PS:T.

In doesn't even have to be the same style so long as it is the same caliber.

If it has a great story, and interesting characters, then I'd say its the same style.

If it doesn't then I'd say its not of the same caliber.

"The Manual of the Planes" has been out for about three years now.

Does it support Sigil?

Safety Disclaimer: That's just a question. I don't own the book and am curious about it.

Sigil is only mentioned in the MotP, about a third of a page of text IIRC.

But the upcoming Planar Handbook seems to be bringing back Sigil in a more significant role.

• 2 weeks later...
What made Torment great was the writing, not necessarily the setting.

Exactly. Ask whoever wrote the main storyline of PS:T what kind of story he/she wants to write, and let them do it, and design a game with that.

I definately agree. If you think about it, what was the best part of Sigil? The fact that it was unique, it had vastly different characters not contained within archetypes, and the writing was superb.

Now, if a sequel to PS:T was made, where would the uniqueness and the style be? Chances are, that by squashing a game in with a premade setting, characters, not to mention WotC and fans looking over Obsidian's shoulder all the way would hurt a game like this, not help it.

Now, if Obsidian was able to create a brand new game that was as unique as PS:T, and fill it with the weirdest characters they could, and use lots of good writing, I would be satisfied.

And also, if anyone really wants a sequel to PS:T, I'm pretty sure you could team up and make one. I can't remember the site, but there are some people who are recreating Sigil for Neverwinter Nights. If you used their modding tools, you could probably put together some PS mods.

If it has a great story, and interesting characters, then I'd say its the same style.

So if somebody wrote a great story with interesting characters set in New Jersey in 1987, it would be the same style as Plasescape: Torment? ;)

Now thats an idea with promise! :p

Just as long as the setting is as unique as PS:T, I'm happy. Say, for example, you took New Jersey in 1987. Say in an alternate reality, a terrorist cell in New Jersey (stay with me here) discovers the notes of a man who can travel into other realities (say, Norse myths).

They use these notes to construct a method of getting into Norse Myths, to summon the gods to wreak unheard of chaos on the US. However, they open this portal at just the wroong time, during Ragnarok. All the gods, giants, and other folks from the Ragnarok spill into New Jersey, and you, an civilian, has to figure out what the f*** jut happened. In the same style of PS:T, if you really wanted to mold the story in that direction.

See? A good story idea is easy to make from any setting, but if that story has dull, uninspired plot, archetypical characters, and gameplay to rival Pong and Pacman, then even if it is as cool a setting as PS:T, it is still crap.

What made Torment great was the writing, not necessarily the setting.

Exactly. Ask whoever wrote the main storyline of PS:T what kind of story he/she wants to write, and let them do it, and design a game with that.

You know that some of the people at Obsidian worked on Planescape Torment? Chris Avellone, lead designer of KOTOR2, for instance was the lead designer of PST.

Which Obsidian employees worked on Planescape: Torment?

Chris Avellone - lead designer

Dennis Presnell - modeler

Brian Menze - models, textures, concepts, interface and icon stuff, credits movie

Dan Spitzley - lead programmer

Aaron Brown - level builder and modeler

Aaron Meyers - level Builder, modeler, textures and I think movie stuff

oh yeah and Feargus, but we still haven't figured out what he does. -Brian Menze

Ender's notes: It is important to note that Feargus fetches coffee for the staff, and other such errands. As far as anyone can tell, that is his primary duty. That, and making Karzak feel at home.

A sequel to the story of the Nameless One would be bad. Avoid that. Instead another game in the Planescape campaign set.

"For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretences- either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed; and in return we hope that you, instead of thinking to influence us by saying that you did not join the Lacedaemonians, although their colonists, or that you have done us no wrong, will aim at what is feasible, holding in view the real sentiments of us both; since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."