Sleheyron

Should the planet Sleheyron be in KOTOR II?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Should the planet Sleheyron be in KOTOR II?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care

It would be somewhat interesting, except for the fact that it was originally supposed to be in KoTOR I, and I would prefer Obsidian to come up with some of their own worlds rather than use the scraps that Bio couldn't fit into their game.

Its BioWare made and it was cut early in production (that is why we hear about it in the game).

Its a big galaxy out there, I seen people asking for Hoth forgeting that place was big icecube until the Rebels set up camp.

Personaly I rather OE makes their own work instead of having to ask for someone else notes.

drakron.png

And how would you know they used bioware's notes?

Well,seriously considering the comment that they really didn't want anyone thinking they were re-using content (In reference to dantooine or other possible re-visits) they would make the worlds very different from the first one.

If it was cut so early in production, what's there to re-use? Besides that, it's a different time period, different things are going on in the galaxy... they'd have to start over again, I'd think.

If it was cut so early in production, what's there to re-use? Besides that, it's a different time period, different things are going on in the galaxy... they'd have to start over again, I'd think.

Five years is a different time period?

I'd like to see it since Bioware spent all this time making it and everytime I see the screenshots, my curiousity goes nuts because i wish KotOR 1 was longer. I say Bioware should give the Sleheyron stuff to Obsidian, but Obsidian should take out the original quests (star map, kotor 1 sidequests, etc) and put in their own stuff related to the KotOR 2 storylines.

Early in production as in "it made into dialogue references but the area was never actually made".

There is some artwork about it, if something looks like a big refinery its from it.

And yes, BioWare notes because they designed the area (its located in hut space, its also a industrial planet with had a combat arena) and it did not existed before.

drakron.png

It's a different time period, yes... Malak doesn't exist. It's a different enough time period for Dantooine to be totally different, the Jedi Council is evaporated for the time... etc.

Saying that putting sleyheron in the sequel would be reusing content is like saying the LOTR movies just reused content from the book. Well, sure, they used the plot.. but the shooting, the acting...

They put tattooine in the first game. Are you saying they just "reused" content from the movies?

No, I agree they shouldn't use anything previously thought of JUST TO MAKE THINGS SIMPLER. But they're putting dantooine in, so why not sleyheron?

Also, sleyheron hasn't been used before, so they CAN change it as they see fit. Why not? It hasn't been published, has it?

June 16 1999 verses June 16 2004. Hell of a difference if you ask me.

Yeah, but then we don't live in a Galaxy where governments last 20 millenia.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

Its BioWare made and it was cut early in production (that is why we hear about it in the game).

Its a big galaxy out there, I seen people asking for Hoth forgeting that place was big icecube until the Rebels set up camp.

Personaly I rather OE makes their own work instead of having to ask for someone else notes.

A little bit of me would like to see Alderaan....since it does get destroyed eventually :lol:

yeah we do. unless big klingons and borg ships invade the earth and kill us all, the US government will always exist :lol:

yeah we do. unless big klingons and borg ships invade the earth and kill us all, the US government will always exist :)

I bet the Romans thought that about themselves.

We aren't romans... we can't predict when we'll fall or transform into something else.

One things for certain: The US won't exist forever in it's current form. Keep in mind that Rome does have a certain amount of immortality still, despite the abuses of dictators. (It was the lazy dictators and the government failing to do what was necessary) You could argue based on the facts that Rome didn't really last due to it's government, either. Politics were WAAY more drastic and people had less to do with politicians back then.

Which arguments?

As far as I'm concered the only reason to include/not include Sleheyron is: Is it interesting?

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

The collapse of rome taken centuries, its not like the barbarians shown up in Rome out of the blue.

Same goes with all Empires, the British Empire was already in decay before WWI and it effectivly ended after WW II.

If we look now the US is in decay since the late 80 but there is no power that can take the US role as a superpower.

But eras are not set by rise and falls on empires, the transition from British influnce to USA influence did not changed anything since they were very alike nations and cultures.

drakron.png

We aren't romans... we can't predict when we'll fall or transform into something else.

One things for certain:  The US won't exist forever in it's current form.  Keep in mind that Rome does have a certain amount of immortality still, despite the abuses of dictators.  (It was the lazy dictators and the government failing to do what was necessary)  You could argue based on the facts that Rome didn't really last due to it's government, either.  Politics were WAAY more drastic and people had less to do with politicians back then.

Anyway...I'm surprised and (mildly annoyeD) that no one's actually faced my arguments.

First the thing about LOTOR movies that it was based on the books so your 'reusing content' doesn't hold water. KOTOR2 is based on the SW universe, not the first game- a brand new story, characters, etc show this.

Secondly, Bioware created Sleyheron as a brand new planet. Unlike other places (like Dantooine to use your example) have a documented EU history that Obsidian could work with and build upon. The only source material for Sleyheron is probably the writer's notes and designer's concept art.

Besides, we know there is only going to be seven worlds. Two of which (Dantooine and Telos) already have roots in the first game. Adding Sleyheron would make make almost half of the worlds that are visitable based off of KOTOR1 concepts.

As Drakon already noted that Bioware gave several pointed ideas what Sleyheron looks like through Yuthera. As a designer, I personally would find that very limiting. Besides, it being in Hutt Space means it won't be too affected by events in Republic/Sith space (ie not much difference)

Wouldn't it be more interesting to see Obsidian come up with something new? The project as a whole is already a Bio hand-me-down. Do all the concepts have to be as well?

We didn't find out very much about Telos in the first game (I always thought the tomb of the cybermen was located there :rolleyes: ). Dantooine will be changed significantly. Peragus is compleatly new and Dxun is from the EU (but sounds very interesting). If Bioware had some interesting ideas for Sleheyron I don't have a problem with Obsidian using them, but most likely it got dropped because it was boring.

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

Wouldn't it be more interesting to see Obsidian come up with something new? The project as a whole is already a Bio hand-me-down. Do all the concepts have to be as well?

No...Yes...yes they do... :rolleyes::p:p

Seriously, they are already coming up with something new, we just have to wait for more of it...as for Slehoeytron, I don't care...

I say there's already too many "worlds". Look at the planet Earth. Here we have every single type of landscape seen so far in any Star Wars movie: Ice, forests, desert, swamps, huge cities, lush meadows, jungles, oceans, mountains, etc. hell, I live in New Jersey, and across a year I experience almost all of these environments!

I've always felt that the "planet of the week" concept was best left in Star Trek. I have a big problem with the fact that a whole planet like Dantooine or Endor or Kashyyyk is shrunk down to the size of a couple of football fields worth of space and there's only one type of landscape. Of course those planets would really have all sorts of landscapes, but as far as Star Wars is concerned, there's only one or two cities on each planet, and only one predominant landscape.

If you keep in mind how big an entire planet is, all of KOTOR could have taken place on one or two planets with little change in the story, and could have been perfectly believable. I'm not saying that going to other planets isn't believable, but each planet being reduced to a particular kind of landscape is really boring.

Here's what I suggest: When you get to one planet, go to different places on the planet. For example you get there, there's a starport, you buy some stuff, talk to people, etc. Then you get in some speeder or the Hawk and fly 1000 miles south and investigate ruins or something. Then go somewhere else on the same planet.

But no, the story says we have to go to an entirely different planet to find something, and what do you know, the ruins where the star map is are two blocks away from the starport. It's entirely unrealistic, and could easily be solved by having different "sections" of a planet to explore. They got close to this with Manaan, but cmon! The underwater facility should have been a bit further away from the city.

I'm not going to get into how incredibly uncommon life supporting planets are supposed to be in a given galaxy: why are we wasting them with only one tiny area and landscape per planet??

"This week on Star Trek: a new planet with something on it that the characters have to go explore and someones going to get hurt. Tune in next week when we do the same thing again, ad nauseum."

Let's not do this with Star Wars (but it's already happened, look at all the books after the Timothy Zahn tril)