How to get started... um...?

UpdraftKyp

For every fan of Baldur's Gate that feels i cant do it, that game was made by a full team of complete amatuers who neevr knew how to program a game before...

so... :p

You know you are not supposed to do any Bioware bashing in here ? :rolleyes:

I wonder if that trolling about game companies also apply to Microsoft. Technically, they are a game company, on the other hand, it is MIcrosoft, so we are sort of morally obliged to bash them :unsure:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Ok, I've been nice previously, and respectful. But honestly, a 15 yr old kid comparing his abilities to seasoned programmers who although it was a fresh game company had MANY years of experience both game programming and programming in general, well... that is excessive. I don't think it is impossible for you to make games, some day. But I think you will have a lot to learn in the mean time. Take some classes, enjoy high school as a kid, and learn not to knock people down for skills you have yet to obtain.

Bioware had seasoned programmers and an established publishing branch behind them. Both of which are vital.

Can you write a pitch doc? Do you know who to contact regarding funding? Are you prepared to offer salary positions to your workers? What about profit sharing? Do you have lawyers on retainer for IP Negotiations? Do you have a Technical requirement doc yet? How about a design bible? Are you prepared to take out a small business loan to see this through?

If you can't answer those questions or simply don't understand them, then you seriously need to take a step back and learn more about the gaming industry.

Games in the NWN and KOTOR level have cost estimates that runs in the million and above catagory. That's alot of scratch for you to raise for yourself and an insane amount for you to expect a publisher to front you.

Intern somewhere, take some classes, do some mods in your free time...then come back to your game studio idea.

Ok, I've been nice previously, and respectful.  But honestly, a 15 yr old kid comparing his abilities to seasoned programmers who although it was a fresh game company had MANY years of experience both game programming and programming in general, well... that is excessive.  I don't think it is impossible for you to make games, some day.  But I think you will have a lot to learn in the mean time.  Take some classes, enjoy high school as a kid, and learn not to knock people down for skills you have yet to obtain.

You know dude, I am taking classes, and the epople on the Baldur's Gate team had all NEVER worked in game programming, and I'm not bashing anyone by saying that they had never done anything with game programming, therefore I'm not being "a little excessive" plus I did this thread for the main reason of trying to figure out a path in life...you know, so I know what classes to take in my junior and senior year...this is called planning ahead...and I enjoy high school, but I can and am supposed to have my mind on the future of my life, as that is what the International Baqualuereate program, which I am enrolled in, is all about...No I'm not talking about me doign this at my present age, but in the future, yes, it is a great possibility I may go into this feild as a professional, and if people are going to posting merely to say it's immpossible, then it is a worthless waste of my time to come and read it, as I asked 'How to get started' not 'What are the possibilities of me landing the D&D liscense at the age of 15', because even though I have a vivid imagination and am quite intelligent, I am perfectly aware that no game publishing company in their right mind wopuld give a fifteen year old kid the money that is would cost to produce a game...But I am fully in my right to say what I want to say, and to plan what I want to plan, and post about it in the "Developer's Corner" as it is about developing a game, is it not?

therefore I would like it for people to stop being **** and merely responding with antagonistic replys, and actually talk about what classes I should take and how I would go about starting a game bussiness...not telling me it is not possible, because in my experience, though not extensive, nothing is ever immpossible, therefore I would really like it for people who post such replies to either change the ways of their posts or just leave me to my adolecent fancies, but if that is not possible, I will merely ignore those who don't

Can you write a pitch doc? Do you know who to contact regarding funding? Are you prepared to offer salary positions to your workers? What about profit sharing?  Do you have lawyers on retainer for IP Negotiations? Do you have a Technical requirement doc yet? How about a design bible?  Are you prepared to take out a small business loan to see this through? 

Though it may come as a surprise to you, Tentamus, I can answer yes to all those questions aside from the one concerning me having a lawyer on retainer, though I was aware that I would need one.

I have actually srote a prelim pitch doc, just for fun...

I know that I would need to contact Atari, the exact person there, though, I am sorry to say I am not aware of his/her name...wait isnt it a guy named Hight?..anyways

I am prepare to offer salarie, though for them I would need the loan, which I would be prepared to take out, but am under 18 and am not able to...well, legally I am but I have no LOC, therefore there would be a slim chance of me getting it

Tech requirments I did, but again this was mereley prelim, supposing I work off of the KOTOR-version of the aurora engine, but as the game would not be coming out anytime soon, the tech requirments would of course change...

And as for my Design Bible..well lets just say that I am well underway with it, even though I am aware that this would not be a feesible idea for some amount of years...

anyways...

well, if your leading a project...you've just stopped being a designer and have become a producer.  First step you should work on is how you project yourself to others. Slow down, take time to spell and form your sentances.  Stop using shorthand netspeak like "neways", just say "Anyway".

I still stand by saying that you should intern at a game studio first, but if you're still gun-ho then go look at the Totally Gaming Network link i posted before. They offer free engines and offer publishing solutions to small, independent studios.  You should be able to get some of the tools you'll need there.

Spellmar says: sentences

O BITTER IRONY!!!

Ok, I've been nice previously, and respectful.  But honestly, a 15 yr old kid comparing his abilities to seasoned programmers who although it was a fresh game company had MANY years of experience both game programming and programming in general, well... that is excessive.  I don't think it is impossible for you to make games, some day.  But I think you will have a lot to learn in the mean time.  Take some classes, enjoy high school as a kid, and learn not to knock people down for skills you have yet to obtain.

Ditto.

You know dude, I am taking classes, and the epople on the Baldur's Gate team had all NEVER worked in game programming, and I'm not bashing anyone by saying that they had never done anything with game programming, therefore I'm not being "a little excessive" plus I did this thread for the main reason of trying to figure out a path in life...you know, so I know what classes to take in my junior and senior year...this is called planning ahead...and I enjoy high school, but I can and am supposed to have my mind on the future of my life, as that is what the International Baqualuereate program, which I am enrolled in, is all about...No I'm not talking about me doign this at my present age, but in the future, yes, it is a great possibility I may go into this feild as a professional, and if people are going to posting merely to say it's immpossible, then it is a worthless waste of my time to come and read it, as I asked 'How to get started' not 'What are the possibilities of me landing the D&D liscense at the age of 15', because even though I have a vivid imagination and am quite intelligent, I am perfectly aware that no game publishing company in their right mind wopuld give a fifteen year old kid the money that is would cost to produce a game...But I am fully in my right to say what I want to say, and to plan what I want to plan, and post about it in the "Developer's Corner" as it is about developing a game, is it not?

therefore I would like it for people to stop being **** and merely responding with antagonistic replys, and actually talk about what classes I should take and how I would go about starting a game bussiness...not telling me it is not possible, because in my experience, though not extensive, nothing is ever immpossible, therefore I would really like it for people who post such replies to either change the ways of their posts or just leave me to my adolecent fancies, but if that is not possible, I will merely ignore those who don't

Kid, high school means jack $hit besides giving colleges a general idea of how smart you are, and getting some initial scholarships. I didn't even go to highschool more than half the time my first three years, barely scraped together the same amount of credits an entry sophomore would have, most of which were in college. Now, I'm a senior, and I'm blazing through all the stuff my peers have already done, so fast in fact, that I'm on track to graduate a full THREE MONTHS BEFORE THEM!!!

That's how easy it is, that's how much you actually learn, about the only thing you really learn in highschool is social skills.

P.S. Before you go spouting off the advanced classes you're in, why don't you learn how to SPELL them. It's Baccalaureate. ;)

I apologize for my misuse of the grammactical skills I have gained on the internet.  I am going to use those links, but by any chance do any of them have a link to a graphics engine?

Anyways, I'm going to continue on my design ideas.

As far as something obtainable for you at this point, I have to recommend Ogre3d. There is quite a bit you can learn from it.

I think the webpage is ogre3d.org. It's an open source object oriented 3d engine that is developed in c++.

P.S. Before you go spouting off the advanced classes you're in, why don't you learn how to SPELL them. It's Baccalaureate

Why does that matter? I know a lot of people who can't spell and are still quite intelligent. I don't think that has anything to do with anything. Though I think proper spelling is good for presentation I would say anytime you need to do that you will have a spell check available. Telling someone to spell properly in forums/chat is just a little silly IMO.

I think you are being way too hard on the guy for no reason at all. His only remotely stupid comment was about the bg programmers, but he's entitled to his opinion just like those of us who like to insult microsoft, lol.

I apologize for my misuse of the grammactical skills I have gained on the internet.  I am going to use those links, but by any chance do any of them have a link to a graphics engine?

As far as something obtainable for you at this point, I have to recommend Ogre3d. There is quite a bit you can learn from it.

I think the webpage is ogre3d.org. It's an open source object oriented 3d engine that is developed in c++.

P.S. Before you go spouting off the advanced classes you're in, why don't you learn how to SPELL them. It's Baccalaureate

Why does that matter? I know a lot of people who can't spell and are still quite intelligent. I don't think that has anything to do with anything. Though I think proper spelling is good for presentation I would say anytime you need to do that you will have a spell check available. Telling someone to spell properly in forums/chat is just a little silly IMO.

I think you are being way too hard on the guy for no reason at all. His only remotely stupid comment was about the bg programmers, but he's entitled to his opinion just like those of us who like to insult microsoft, lol.

Eh, just trying to give the kid a reality check. I'm less than two years older than him and I can see the utter fallacy of his plans. Meh.

Eh, just trying to give the kid a reality check. I'm less than two years older than him and I can see the utter fallacy of his plans. Meh.

If you're less than two years ahead of me, I'd take it kindly if you didn't call me kid, as I hang out with seniors all them time, whether because of sports or because they're my friends, and none of them are possessed with the urge to call me kid... <_<

Newayz back to my mod...

Guest Jason Keeney
... about the only thing you really learn in highschool is social skills. 

....  I didn't even go to highschool more than half the time my first three years,...

Ah... now I'm beginning to understand.

• 5 weeks later...

My suggestion: wait until your senior year before deciding what to do with your life. Most people I know think they knew what they wanted to do, and it changed 3 or 4 times before college, and 2 or 3 times during college. So don't pressure yourself so much right now. I myself wanted to be a comic book artist when I was 14 or so, then realized I couldn't draw that well. So I wanted to be a programmer, turned out I hated numbers and code. Now I'm finished school as a 3D Modeler and am trying to get into making games, but it took me 6 years to settle on that. Give yourself a little time.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

As I child I wanted to be a programmer, As a young teenager I wanted to be a programmer, as an older teenager I enjoied music, but still knew I wanted to be a programmer, at 22... I still want to be a programmer.

Not everyone changes there mind.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

If you're less than two years ahead of me, I'd take it kindly if you didn't call me kid, as I hang out with seniors all them time, whether because of sports or because they're my friends, and none of them are possessed with the urge to call me kid... <_<

Newayz back to my mod...

Because netspeek is annoying, and it pisses me off. Until you stop typing your messages like the stereotype for a 13 year old AOHell user, I'll continue to call you kid....kid.

... about the only thing you really learn in highschool is social skills. 

....  I didn't even go to highschool more than half the time my first three years,...

Ah... now I'm beginning to understand.

priceless

Touche Jason. Perhaps I should clarify, I was rather foolish, the courses were easy, but it was more fun to cut class. I took the tests, and scored high on all of them, but unfortunately, you have to be in class to earn the credits. Basically I failed on a technicality.

i reckon good luck, enthusiasm & ambition are just about the most important skills to have - so there's a head start.

i don't understand why some people are such condescending rude bastards.

neither do i... :)

Because it's the internet, and I can. ;)