The D&D License-How did Obsidian nab it so quickly

UpdraftKyp

I'm new here, so I'm unaware if this is already in active discussion, but anywayz...

How is it you guys at Obsidian got the most amazing license in RPG history (and the Star Wars one) as your first two games?

Is there some sort of trick to it?

did you have a ton of original ideas and contacted Atari with them(thats my plan :D )?

Is it somethign else?

While of course I am not an Obsidian employee, so this may be wrong, I think it has to do with their partnership with Bioware, who previously held both licenses. I know that Bioware recommended Obsidian for KoTOR 2 to LucasArts, so it would make sense that they'd do the same with NWN 2 and Atari.

Never assume malice when stupidity is to blame.

While of course I am not an Obsidian employee, so this may be wrong, I think it has to do with their partnership with Bioware, who previously held both licenses.  I know that Bioware recommended Obsidian for KoTOR 2 to LucasArts, so it would make sense that they'd do the same with NWN 2 and Atari.

the people at Obsidian, have had a good working relationship with Bio for many years. Bio is being nice enough to help get them work, so the company can get off the ground.

There are definately worse companies to be aligned with.