New TSL Interview

I believe the story would be cool if there was a twist. Almost all SW movie had a twist.

Attack of the Clones -- Dooku being on the Darkside

Episode III -- Syfo Dyas will be revealed and the person who erased the files from the Jedi Archives will be revealed.

Empire Strikes Back -- Vader being Luke's father

Return of the Jedi -- Leia being Luke's sister

Don't Forget:

The Phantom Menace - A Star Wars movie turned out absolutely gut-wrenchingly awful.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

Don't Forget:

The Phantom Menace - A Star Wars movie turned out absolutely gut-wrenchingly awful.

Take away the Pod racing, the Gungans, Jar-Jar Binks, and the rest of the movie isn't too bad ;)

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Can we stop talking about those stupid midichlorians??? :angry:

I swear Lucas is trying to see how much he can get away with in Ruining Star Wars and still make money off of it.

TripleRRR

Using a gamepad to control an FPS is like trying to fight evil through maple syrup.

I really wished he would have kept the NSynch Jedi cameo in.

And to think, that I've defended Lucas on certain points. I think he has become a crazy, foolish, weak director and storyteller. Despite that, I still like Episode 2, and believe that with a few edits I could have salvaged a good movie out of Episoed 1.

Imagine for a small moment that George Lucas hands me the script for Episode 1.

The basic story of Naboo, Anakin, The Trade Federation, Darth Maul, etc. are fine. They're not great, but it's passable.

Change #1 - The aliens in the movie speak in alien tongues with subtitles. Get rid of the childish accents that make the movie come across as racist. This applies to Jar-Jar as well. He was silly, and I didn't care for him. But change his voice and he comes MUCH more bearable.

Change #2 - Eliminate every use of the word "Yippee!"

Change #3 - Eliminate the midichlorian Blood Test. Merely have Qui-Gon look sagely at Anakin and say "I can sense he is strong in the Force. Perhaps as strong as Master Yoda..." He can then stroke his chin and go "Hmm...."

Change #4 - Add a small introduction scene in for Darth Maul. We never see him act evil in this movie. Perhaps if we see him dispatch of someone early on, it will add a sense of creepy forboding as he stalks down the Jedi.

Change #5 - Tweak Maul's death. The whole duel was good up to that point. In fact, it was great. Obi-Wan should have killed him with a daring and dangerous manuever. As it stands, Maul stood around and waited to be chopped in half.

Change #6 - Anakin is the most poperful Force User in the Galaxy. He's a great natural pilot, and a Pod Racing champion. Why was the Space Battle some big accident that he didn't know what he was doing? Make Anakin defiant from day 1. He steals the ship and intentionally saves the day. Obi-Wan is mad, but Anakin did save the day after-all. It establishes Episodes 2 and 3 much better.

You already have a fairly talented cast, and one of the best damn scores I've ever heard. ILM did a pretty good job with the movie. They invented THX 6.1 sound for the movie, for crying out loud. The two-headed announcer for the Pod Race looked pretty silly, but no one's perfect.

All of that could have been handled with minor reshoots or edits in post-production.

Go back and watch the Duel of the Fates music video. Watch the final trailer. Both give me goosebumps. This movie had potential.

Now, another adjustment could make the movie even better, but it's not simple. You need a full script-rewrite.

The movie is a series of meetings. This group meets and discusses this. The next group discusses that. Alot of the story could be told through action rather than dialogue.

People have heard of the Fan-Dom Menance? Where people did a few small edits and the movie played much better? Imagine doing a similiar project, but instead of just cutting scenes out all-together, you replace it with some flash animation. I'm lazy and can't draw, but I think it would be great. You couldn't distribute it though.

It would be very illegal.

Chris hinted that there will be much room for a sequel, interesting...

Wasn't the original idea to have a trilogy of games, modelling after the movie trilogies?

I interpreted KotOR as all three three Star Wars movies alltogether, it's been stated lately however, that KotOR II is to KotOR what ANH is to ESB.

So youre saying KOTOR2 is a prequal? ;)

I think you meant Kotor2 is to kotor what esb was to anh.

Imagine for a small moment that George Lucas hands me the script for Episode 1.

The basic story of Naboo, Anakin, The Trade Federation, Darth Maul, etc. are fine. They're not great, but it's passable.

Change #1 - The aliens in the movie speak in alien tongues with subtitles. Get rid of the childish accents that make the movie come across as racist. This applies to Jar-Jar as well. He was silly, and I didn't care for him. But change his voice and he comes MUCH more bearable.

Change #2 - Eliminate every use of the word "Yippee!"

Change #3 - Eliminate the midichlorian Blood Test. Merely have Qui-Gon look sagely at Anakin and say "I can sense he is strong in the Force. Perhaps as strong as Master Yoda..." He can then stroke his chin and go "Hmm...."

Change #4 - Add a small introduction scene in for Darth Maul. We never see him act evil in this movie. Perhaps if we see him dispatch of someone early on, it will add a sense of creepy forboding as he stalks down the Jedi.

Change #5 - Tweak Maul's death. The whole duel was good up to that point. In fact, it was great. Obi-Wan should have killed him with a daring and dangerous manuever. As it stands, Maul stood around and waited to be chopped in half.

Change #6 - Anakin is the most poperful Force User in the Galaxy. He's a great natural pilot, and a Pod Racing champion. Why was the Space Battle some big accident that he didn't know what he was doing? Make Anakin defiant from day 1. He steals the ship and intentionally saves the day. Obi-Wan is mad, but Anakin did save the day after-all. It establishes Episodes 2 and 3 much better.

You already have a fairly talented cast, and one of the best damn scores I've ever heard. ILM did a pretty good job with the movie. They invented THX 6.1 sound for the movie, for crying out loud. The two-headed announcer for the Pod Race looked pretty silly, but no one's perfect.

All of that could have been handled with minor reshoots or edits in post-production.

Go back and watch the Duel of the Fates music video. Watch the final trailer. Both give me goosebumps. This movie had potential.

Now, another adjustment could make the movie even better, but it's not simple. You need a full script-rewrite.

The movie is a series of meetings. This group meets and discusses this. The next group discusses that. Alot of the story could be told through action rather than dialogue.

People have heard of the Fan-Dom Menance? Where people did a few small edits and the movie played much better? Imagine doing a similiar project, but instead of just cutting scenes out all-together, you replace it with some flash animation. I'm lazy and can't draw, but I think it would be great. You couldn't distribute it though.

It would be very illegal.

/standing ovation

Thanks!

After getting ripped for my political views all day long, it's nice to see someone who likes one of my ideas. I'm an aspiring filmmaker/writer. So I know a few things about telling a story. If I had a degree in writing, I'd go apply at Bioware for one of their open writing positions.

Then again, I'm open to hearing job offers from Obsidian. ;)

Thanks!

After getting ripped for my political views all day long, it's nice to see someone who likes one of my ideas. I'm an aspiring filmmaker/writer. So I know a few things about telling a story. If I had a degree in writing, I'd go apply at Bioware for one of their open writing positions.

Then again, I'm open to hearing job offers from Obsidian. ;)

Everything you posted makes a ton of sense. The changes you suggest aren't even that major and yet it would change the quality of the phantom menace ten fold.

As a film-maker (all I've shot is digital short films, but hey, it's something) I study film. Lucas has no editorial process. No one questions him. That is his failing. He doesn't answer to a studio, and his producer kisses his butt. I consider myself a pretty good writer, but everyone needs someone to edit and challenge them.

Peter Jackson did a great job with the LoTR trilogy. But when adapting the scripts, he had help from several people who bounced ideas off each other. I loved watching the documentaries and seeing how the creative process to create the prologue developed.