Two random ideas

Maria- I haven't played Beyond Good and Evil, so I wouldn't know. But I will clarify.

mastaGAW- I'm all for adding variety to the game, and space combat is an excellent way to do that. However, the shooting that was in KOTOR was absolutely meaningless: It didn't affect the plot and it was always the same. There wasn't anything remotely tactical about combat. It really just got in the way.

And just because someone (namely me) thinks that the gunnery in KOTOR sucked doesn't mean that more direct control action shouldn't be part of the game: it should, and it should be better! The swoop racing was a lot more fun, although it could have been better too.

What I really think they should do is use a few separate game engines for the different aspects of the game. Use a racing game engine for swoop racing and an RTS or flight simulator engine for space combat.

There are any number of directions to take this, none of which will be incorported, but I can dream, right? You could be in control of the Hawk, commanding it, telling your team which targets to shoot at, while flying missions (this could have been used to get to the Star Forge in KOTOR1 instead of watching a cutscene). You could fly different ships on different missions a la X-Wing or TIE Fighter, sitting in the c***pit. You could do BOTH (which I would LOVE) like in Battlezone (remember Battlezone?)

Anything but the way it is now. Make it a feature of the game, not an afterthought.

Sounds good in theory.

Space combat is fun it added variety to the game why do so many people seem to have problems with games that test reflexes in RPGs like this and racing or anything else that doesn't include turns?

But it didn't test reflexes. Seriously, did anyone actually manage to die during space combat? I need to reinstall KOTOR one of these days and see what happens when your ship gets shot down, because it never happened to me.

I'm all for mini-games (I liked the racing, even if it was only a time trial), but this was a crappy one. I'd like to see it improved for the sequel, or removed.

I had to stop doing anything just so I could see what happened when you die :/

But I still don't enjoy the turret game - the damn thing moves so slowly! I like to have my mouse sensetivity right up high, and I had to lift the mouse about 3 times for that turret to swing round! At least up the sensetivity!

I actually used the keyboard for it....much more responsive.

In fact, I would bet that any problems computer users had with this minigame was the fact that for whatever reason the game cranked your mouse sensitivity down to the smallest number that is still greater than zero :(

If the same kind of droll shooting sequence has to be included to appease whatever demographic, then i suggest doing the following.

*Make the space combat actually hard. I dislike having my RPGs play like Quake on several ocasions, but if you want to test my reflexes, at least make it challenging.

*Don't make this a mandatory thing. Wheter poor or challenging, make any possible space combat minigame optional. The Ebon Hawk was reputedly the fastest ship in the galaxy, with some powerful shields, yet, i had to go trough combat. Give players the chance to avoid the combat, but also include possible rewards if they want to engage in it.

*Don't rely only on the player to solve the problem. I have other party members. Some of them might even have a more combat-oriented background than me. Give players the possibility to ask some followers, more suited to combat than the PC, to help troughout combat sequences like those. It's not impossible to program this, and it's credible from a story viewpoint to have someone like a Republic War Hero to help out a very low level wannabe Jedi.

[/complaining]

How interesting, I was swearing in another thread and there was no editing. A moment please...

As i said, very interesting.

Wait a minute.. I didn't see that the first time I read this post.. But there's definitely a typo in there!

Look at the I in "As i said, very interesting.". It's not capitalized!

Well, Maria "Taliban" Caliban, in case you didn't know, you're supposed to use a capital I in the english language when referring to oneself.

Could you please put in a little effort in your spelling? Your excessive amount of typos are starting to get on my nerves.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!