Bothered by this in KOTOR1

One thing that has annoyed the crud out of me about KOTOR1 was the way that the player character couldn't perform certain tasks nor could he/she pass them off to better skilled characters. I.E. Repairing HK-47. When you're a soldier and you've got all your skills dumped into something asside from repairing, you can't unlock all of the bonuses for HK, and yet TM is sitting there with a truckload of repair skill and for some retarded reason, you can't use TM to repair HK...

Or how about trying to be light side with the mandalorian in the sith academy? After dumping all of your points into persuade just so the fool will talk to you, you can't free him because your comp skill is too low... yet there is TM once again, perfectly able to do so, but the game won't allow you to profit off of his skill.

This was very annoying to me, I think it'd be nice in KOTOR2 if you would be able to use the abilities of other characters to perform some actions. Nobody wants to specialize in every skill, that's why the other characters were there, so you wouldn't have to... and it seems ludicrious to me that I couldn't have had zaal or TM repair HK.

I think this was done in order to give some reward (however insignificant) to players who built a skills based character. I would say this was a failure. This may be even more of an issue in KotOR2 as skills will be requred to build equipment at the workbench. Currently only the PC can use the workbench on the Ebon Hawk.

What I would like to see is some use made of intellegence in dialogue options.

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

Nah, that took up too many writer zots and was dropped in the expansion packs. 8 is the minumum intellegence anyway, and this is supposed to be just a little below average, not retarded. Extra options for high intellegence is the way to go.

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

I think this was done in order to give some reward (however insignificant) to players who built a skills based character. I would say this was a failure. This may be even more of an issue in KotOR2 as skills will be requred to build equipment at the workbench. Currently only the PC can use the workbench on the Ebon Hawk.

What I would like to see is some use made of intellegence in dialogue options.

Ah well, there's always debugging codes and a Hex editor... B)

I agree with the original poster. I think that's why, as has been acknowledged by Obsidian, that in the first game a lot of the characters became obsolete once the player had access to the Jedi. There simply was no use for the others.

If Bioware had implemented it better and allowed you to use your NPC party members for certain tasks (such as the ones described by the original poster), then certain party members would still have warranted consideration.

IMO, T3 was useless after Taris, mainly because anytime there was semi-use for him, he couldn't be used (such as the above example). Also, even when he was still useful, like opening Master Uthar's door, he still wasn't needed since you could just do the double cross and gain access to the key.

I'd say T3 and Zaalbar were the two most useless members of my party. In fact, a couple of times Zaalbar was never even active in my party. After I rescue him in the sewers, I'd just keep Carth and Mission in my party. On Kasshyyk, I just used two other characters, since Zaalbar automatically shows up once you get to Chundar's. Mission was pretty useless after a point too, but atleast she had a sidequest where she had to be along for. Plus she made me some cash with her demolition skills recoving mines.

So yeah, I rambled on for a while, but as I said, that was one of the parts of the game I didn't like. Being unable to use party members' skills when the PC's were too low made them unuseable.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I agree with the original poster.  I think that's why, as has been acknowledged by Obsidian, that in the first game a lot of the characters became obsolete once the player had access to the Jedi.  There simply was no use for the others.

If Bioware had implemented it better and allowed you to use your NPC party members for certain tasks (such as the ones described by the original poster), then certain party members would still have warranted consideration.

IMO, T3 was useless after Taris, mainly because anytime there was semi-use for him, he couldn't be used (such as the above example).  Also, even when he was still useful, like opening Master Uthar's door, he still wasn't needed since you could just do the double cross and gain access to the key.

I'd say T3 and Zaalbar were the two most useless members of my party.  In fact, a couple of times Zaalbar was never even active in my party.  After I rescue him in the sewers, I'd just keep Carth and Mission in my party.  On Kasshyyk, I just used two other characters, since Zaalbar automatically shows up once you get to Chundar's.  Mission was pretty useless after a point too, but atleast she had a sidequest where she had to be along for.  Plus she made me some cash with her demolition skills recoving mines.

So yeah, I rambled on for a while, but as I said, that was one of the parts of the game I didn't like.  Being unable to use party members' skills when the PC's were too low made them unuseable.

Yup. After unlocking the sith base on Taris, I didn't use the little r2-d2 clone until I had to unlock Uthur's door... and then never again.

Carth was also never used after Taris except on his quests, same with mission, zaalabar, hk-47, and canderous.

If I had gone dark side, I suppose Canderous and hk would have had some use, but because I went light side, just juhani and jolee... why waste time with somebody who shoots lasers when instead I could have somebody use forcewhirlwind, heal me, and smack people down with lightsabers?

Because I had a soldier, I used mission all the way through on Taris because of her skills (that is until I got Bastilla).

About halfway through the game (and this is if you go soldier/guardian), leveling up skills (Besides that of your main character) becomes pretty redundant, because the chances of you using them are slim... if you go for a scoundral/consular combo, then other characters skills... ARE useless.

Has anyone used the option of skipping Dantooine and moving on to Tattooine and Kashyyk and picking up Jolee and HK before becoming a Jedi. I'm about to do it this time around to see what they say about the Prostituted Droid and the Sandral Matale feud. You know, like how Canderous would be all "I guess this droid is really gonna SERVE his master tonight! Hahahahaha." It would be awesome if HK said something like "Meatbags really shouldn't interface with droids this way master, it's just not....kosher." ;)

Huh?  Skip Dantooine?

Yeah, when you first come up on Dantooine and are looking down on it from space, Carth and Bratstila are arguing about whether or not it will be a safe haven from the Sith from the time being. I'm the only one who's seen this? ;)

No, but even when I side with Carth to move on, it made us land on Dantooine.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)