Day/Night transitions

Unless somehow the planet does not rotate, keeping it fixed towards the sun. Or perhaps it's very far away from it's sun, meaning little to no light gets there anyway. Don't assume everywhere is Earth like, most places aren't.

It'd be cool to see a change in the weather, too. Like in Jedi Academy there was one mission that was in the rain. Of course that was acid rain, but they also had a mission that took place in the snow on Hoth. Btw, why don't we go to Hoth in this era?

Btw, why don't we go to Hoth in this era?

We were going to, but it got cut from the final version, along with Sleheyron.

I agree that transitions would be great in terms of realism, but please don't make it so dark you can't see what's going on (a la Kashyyyk/Manaan undersea base). That just annoys me; I end up sitting two inches away from my screen, doing neither my eyes nor my neck any good at all trying to see what's going on.

Unless somehow the planet does not rotate, keeping it fixed towards the sun. Or perhaps it's very far away from it's sun, meaning little to no light gets there anyway. Don't assume everywhere is Earth like, most places aren't.

But most places where human life can survive naturally are like Earth, at least in terms of general range of distance from the sun, rotation, etc.

In the first KOTOR each planet was set with a permanent time of day setting. All the planets were set during the day and Kasyyyk(sp?) was always set at night.

In KOTOR 2 do you think or do you believe planets should change from day to night? Much like in games like Morrowind, GTA, Zelda etc....

I think they should have day/light cycles and transitions. It adds to the immersion factor rather than the mission based, linear feel I got from KOTOR1.

But most places where human life can survive naturally are like Earth, at least in terms of general range of distance from the sun, rotation, etc.

What makes you think all lifeforms (hypothetically of course) are carbon based?

There is actually another thread about this somewhere and one of the developers said it was something that they looked into doing, but decided that it was too difficult because it required 2 different sets of textures for everything in the game. One for day, and one for night.

I like the idea of individual missions having darkness/lightness depending on where it is in the story line. I don't really much care one way or another for weather and day/night, though it is pretty nifty.

Is it really that much more realistic to be walking around day and night, 24/7, only resting when you absolutely have to? (Which tends to be in the daytime half the time.)

All three of the games you mentioned are a complete snore to me. Real life is just fine; I do that every day. There's night and day, realistic running water and streams, sunlight that hits things just right, I get tired, I have to eat and go to the bathroom. But entertainment is entertainment. It takes out some of those things as needed and unnecessary to the mood of the piece, and it's been established in fiction of every sort for centuries. If they don't have a proper resting behavior, they shouldn't bother with day/night cycles in my opinion. To me, that's like "Are they totally incapable of sleeping?" Whereas in KotOR I I was occasionally annoyed by the fact that there was constant daylight, no designated downtime. If they had added night/day cycles without sleeping cycles, it would have brought to my attention quite a bit more (as happened in NWN) that this was just a faulty trick. If there's no reason for a particle simulation of water except cosmetics, make it an illusion. That's what fiction is.

If they had added night/day cycles without sleeping cycles, it would have brought to my attention quite a bit more (as happened in NWN) that this was just a faulty trick. If there's no reason for a particle simulation of water except cosmetics, make it an illusion. That's what fiction is.

That's what's got me excited about S.T.A.L.K.E.R.S. Realistic day/night cycles, along with sleeping AND eating periods. Not to mention if you decide to sleep during the day and play during the night, there's a new stealth aspect to it, as well as the opposite being true if you decide on more conventional sleep patterns.

That's what's got me excited about S.T.A.L.K.E.R.S. Realistic day/night cycles, along with sleeping AND eating periods. Not to mention if you decide to sleep during the day and play during the night, there's a new stealth aspect to it, as well as the opposite being true if you decide on more conventional sleep patterns.

Yeah, that's one of the things that intrigued me about STALKER too, that you actually have to find a safe place to sleep when your character runs out of "fuel". It sounds great and I get these mind pics of me searching through huge, abandoned russian apartment complexes trying to find a safe room because the night is coming... Spooky!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Anyone played Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike?? On Tatooine depending on what time of day you play, the map is dawn/day/dusk/night using the GC internal clock. Surely this can be utilised in a PC/Xbox? Also, I don't understand the textures thing, surely it only requires a different skybox and different levels of lighting entities? Oh well...

What makes you think all lifeforms (hypothetically of course) are carbon based?

That's not an assertion he made. He didn't even mention life forms being carbon based or not. He said, "...most places where human life can survive naturally are like Earth, at least in terms of general range of distance from the sun, rotation, etc."

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

There is actually another thread about this somewhere and one of the developers said it was something that they looked into doing, but decided that it was too difficult because it required 2 different sets of textures for everything in the game. One for day, and one for night.

which basically translates to:

sorry, but this is the engine we got at this point of time. we know it sucks in some ways, but we cant do anything about it.

It's very hard to be polite if you're a cat.

A day/night transition would be a great feature to implement, but hey, what can you do when the engine is giving you a middle finger about it.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy