How do you become a producer

Maverick4101

I am currently a sophomore at the University of North Texas and I am majoring in entrepreneurship. Being a Video Game producer is my dream job and I wanted to know if I was working on the correct major and what all I can do to help my dream. I have done a lot of research, however it seems like most places are more knowledgeable about programmers, art, and sound departments. So although I know what your job description is, I don

CEO's fetch coffee.

Producers handle the logistics of acquiring coffee.

Programmers make a superior coffee pot (and scold those who try to wash away the brown "flavor protector rings" on the coffee pot).

Designers invent new coffee concoctions (What if the Sweet and Low was secretly replaced by Splenda, and you had to use Goat's Milk instead?).

• 4 weeks later...
I am currently a sophomore at the University of North Texas and I am majoring in entrepreneurship. Being a Video Game producer is my dream job and I wanted to know if I was working on the correct major and what all I can do to help my dream. I have done a lot of research, however it seems like most places are more knowledgeable about programmers, art, and sound departments. So although I know what your job description is, I don

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I'm also curious about this as well. I'm a sophomore at UC Davis in California, and I've just started contemplating a job as a producer. I've read what I can and I've got a decent idea of what the job entails and whether it suits me or not, and I think it's something I'd really enjoy.

Does anyone have any advice besides getting an internship?

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I'm also curious about this as well. I'm a sophomore at UC Davis in California, and I've just started contemplating a job as a producer. I've read what I can and I've got a decent idea of what the job entails and whether it suits me or not, and I think it's something I'd really enjoy.

Get in some QA time. Many of the producers I know worked their way up out of QA, and even if you can't get the promotion right from there, you'll better understand the realities of the industry.

And Tale, I'm not sure if he'll get your answer. It's been three years....

My blood! He punched out all my blood! - Meet the Sandvich

• 2 weeks later...

Get in some QA time. Many of the producers I know worked their way up out of QA, and even if you can't get the promotion right from there, you'll better understand the realities of the industry.

And Tale, I'm not sure if he'll get your answer. It's been three years....

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it!

I'll be looking for summer internships and I'll look for some QA jobs when I've graduated. I'll chime back in if I find an internship or two with info for others interested.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey what the hell you're DEVELOPER D:

That's frickin' cool :p

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

• 5 weeks later...
Congrats again for 'ol Monty. Heh, it's funny seeing him in the halls and at Christmas parties! Speaking of Christmas parties, good talk!

Hey Alvin thanks :(

Edit - The wink smilie is so smarmy... lol

Double Edit - try saying "The wink smilie is so smarmy" seven times...

Thanks for the awesome avatar Jorian!

Creating a mod team or starting out in another position in the gaming industry are both very good ways to get your foot in the door. As for schooling, management and things of that nature are good things to study. Like Joe said earlier, some of the best producers started out in other positions and moved their way up. Starting from the bottom and being involved in different areas of the development process really gives you a grasp of what is involved in making a game. It really opens your eyes to things you just wouldn't know if you, say, only knew art or only knew design. A good producer knows a couple of the different departments, while a great producer knows everything!

Being very outgoing and understanding also makes for a great producer, in addition to having good problem-solving skills. It's hard to find people that are good at all of these things, and i'm pretty privileged to be working with some of the best.

Let me get back to sleeping. I'm tired...