ranged weapons in kotor2

hi this is my first post on the forum

i just come here to beg you...please for the love of god make the ranged weapons in Kotor2 MUCH stronger than steel short swords. in kotor, I wondered why did they have ranged weapons anyway since swords are so much stronger....you can't kill anything from a distance.

after seeing some of the videos, looks lik nothing has changed. creatures will run up to you before you can shoot them down and you have to blast things from point blank range

hi this is my first post on the forum

i just come here to beg you...please for the love of god make the ranged weapons in Kotor2 MUCH stronger than steel short swords. in kotor, I wondered why did they have ranged weapons anyway since swords are so much stronger....you can't kill anything from a distance.

after seeing some of the videos, looks lik nothing has changed. creatures will run up to you before you can shoot them down and you have to blast things from point blank range

They're working on ways to improve the melee/ranged weapon balance. The demo's you saw were just that, demo's; they aren't anything close to the finished product, in fact being a few months behind the current build.

As to whether the balance they provide is good enough... we'll see.

Someone complained about the rocket launcher in the demo they played at E3 being too weak; a dev consequently came in and said essentially everything I've said in this post. To further back this up: all the previews and most of the screenshots thus far were based on such a demo-build from E3. The rest are just for looks, to show off the engine and the content and character's as best they can.

Wh should they? Its all about the Force, Knights, and Light sabers in Star Wars.

Now you're getting it :rolleyes:

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

In KOTOR I only took juhani with me as a bodyguard. But before I got her I used carth(and mission) as a human shield. Sure enough when trouble came he'd dive in front of my vibro-blade to get a good shot, which he'd usualy miss.

Yaw devs, Yaw!!! (

It didn't annoy me so much that the ranged weapons were so less innefective than the melee weapons. It annoyed me that these supposed soldiers, who probably had training, never hit anything!

They actually weren't less effective. The animators just added "extra" shots that were purely for show that never hit anything. I think it was good though because it looks silly with guys in a gun fight simply shooting once every 6 seconds.

Hey...Storm Troopers weren't that bad of shots.

It's just that when any of the main stars were nearby, they were awestruck with admiration and fear of these buttkickers that they were shaking.

After all...they owned the wussy Jawas and Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru didn't stand a chance.

And the nameless Rebels in the fights (and Porkins!).....no match :)

Luke and Han run down a hallway with 3 stormtroopers at the other end firing at them.

Luke: Hurry Han we have to get to the ship!

Han: I'm going as fast as I *BZZT* OH MY GOD I'VE BEEN SHOT!!

Stormtrooper grunt #19934: HAH! I hit him!

Stormtrooper Commander: STOP! Everyone stop firing! Let's make sure he's okay.

Stormtrooper grunt #19934: What!?! Why!?!!?!

Stormtrooper Commander: You're demoted.

Intercom: Would #19934 please report to the bridge.

- On the bridge -

Vader: Well, how do explain this #19934! You have hit an important plot character! His life is worth more than a hundred of you mediocre soldiers.

Stormtrooper grunt #19934: I, uh, I thought we were supposed to stop them, sir.

Vader: Apparently, you are not well versed in the ways of our empire. You don't shoot important plot characters. You are expendable, they are not.

Stormtrooper grunt #19934: But, sir! They're getting away!!

Vader: I tire of this. *BZZT*

True, but what if you're the guy with the gun, and the other person is expendable?

Besides, in AotC the Clone Troopers weren't that bad, which makes me believe the troopers become better shots the further we go back, so these guys should be expert marksmen.

And to the guy who said it's all about lightsabres in Star Wars, that may be so, but why does the lightsabres being more important mean the guns should totally suck? You could still have lightsabres be totally awesome and have guns just be less awesome.

True, but what if you're the guy with the gun, and the other person is expendable?

Well, usually that either results in both of you dying in a heated gunfight in the background of a scene that nobody notices or both of you get killed by important plot characters. That is unless the important plot characters have just reached the escape pods, meaning that the ship is going to blow up as soon as they leave for no reason.

I'm waiting to see how they make the other party members unique and valueable.

It would help greatly if skills were more important.

Why would they do that. Its all about the Force, Jedi/Sith, and Light sabers. Haven' you been paying attention, this is a Star Wars game after all.

What kind of reasoning is that? Let us note that most of the characters in Star Wars never used a Lightsabre, i.e.: Han Solo(excluding the gut-cutting), Chewbacca, Leia, Lando, hell, there were basically only three who did, even Yoda and the Emperor never used one, and Luke, the guy who used the Lightsabre most, also used a blaster at times. Just because they feature more, doesn't mean there can't be anything else.

If they make ranged weapons too powerfull, I fear that the combat sequences will be far too easy. You start this game as a Jedi and the lightsaber already deals lots of damage to the enemies. If on top of this you have a couple of party members shooting like crazy at your enemies from afar while you're acting as an already powerfull "tank", the combat sequences will not be challenging. If they're not challanging, the game will be boring. <_<

In my opinion the key lies in achieveing a balance in the damage dealt between ranged and non-ranged weapons. Let's hope Obsidian gets it right :p

What kind of reasoning is that? Let us note that most of the characters in Star Wars never used a Lightsabre, i.e.: Han Solo(excluding the gut-cutting), Chewbacca, Leia, Lando, hell, there were basically only three who did, even Yoda and the Emperor never used one, and Luke, the guy who used the Lightsabre most, also used a blaster at times. Just because they feature more, doesn't mean there can't be anything else.

Just going by the KotOR philosophy here. It is Knights of the Old Republic and not Gunslingers of the Old Republic.