Voiceover Talent

They should get Leonard Nimoy, Judd Nelson, Lionel Stander, and someone that sounds like Orson Welles and Robert Stack.

And is Jennifer Hale hot? I saw a picture of a Jennifer Hale on the web but I don't know if it's the same Jen that does all the VO work.

Well, I just checked the Internet Movie Database (which has an amazing amount of videogame information, surprisingly) and it seems that Lucasarts hires the same actors again and again for most of their titles (and there's quite a bit of overlap with some BIS titles)- here's a few names that have played major roles in multiple Lucasarts games- I imagine we will see these folks in one form or another in KOTOR 2.

Jennifer Hale (FFG, Dynaheir, Mazzy, Bastila)

Jeff Bennett (Kyle Katarn, Xan, Saemon Haveran)

Jason Marsden (Myron, Brejik Rosh Penin from JK:JA)

Kevin Michael Richardson (Saverok, Jolee)

Grey DeLisle (Viconia, Senator Amidala)

Cam Clarke (Drizzt, Solidus Snake, Calo Nord)

Kris Tabori (HK-47, Usus from Gladius)

Raphael Sbarge (Carth Onasi, Terry Malloy from Grim Fandango)

And of course- what RPG would be complete without a B list celebrity lending their vocal talents. In KOTOR, we had Ed Asner, so may I suggest Dwight Schultz for KOTOR's token minor celeb with a minor role and prominent billing? Hey, Murdoch has already done it for Arcanum, he might as well show up here.

Or if we're being serious, maybe we can get David Warner in for a voice? Please?

Jennifer Hale was also the female protaganist in Jedi Acadamy (name escapes me just at the moment).

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

Oooooh, someone else who knows Michael Bell! I've been a big fan of his since the old days! He also played the lead "bad guy" in the pilot episode(s) of ST:TNG.
Holy crap, never noticed, I just realised I have never (consciously) seen him either.

Another good voice talent is Peter Cullen, who often worked with Michael Bell. He was the voice of Optimus Prime, for easy recognition.
Heh heh, I remember in an interview he said (paraphrasing) "there's more balls in that mans voice than, , than a juggler has!".

Jennifer Hale has a website somewhere, it used to be on geocities a couple of years ago but I think she got a .com or .net one now with some samples, she's supposed to have some singing samples up too which is interesting but it had been "coming soon" for a year last time I'd checked.

I liked his performance in Pirates as well, it was perfect for the part, but that doesn't mean it was any different from his other performances.

Keith Richards is supposed to be on to play Jack Sparrow's dad in Pirates 2. :blink:

Ehh, *off-topic*

Only the important characters should have voice. To give voice to everyone is annoying and a waste of resources.

I love when even the lowliest "peasant" has his own voice, even if it's only to say crap about fungus. It's great fun to hear. But it does take a lot of resources: I remember looking through Gothic's directories (even the original Gothic had ALL VO'd dialogue) and found one huge voice file. I think it was 500+ Mb.

The thing about sound in games now is that the developers can do it in .mp3-format and since it's only speech (and not music) the bitrate doesn't have to be very high either. So appr. 2 minutes of speech could easily be crammed into 1 Mb of data.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

They should get Leonard Nimoy, Judd Nelson, Lionel Stander, and someone that sounds like Orson Welles and Robert Stack.

Well, seeing as Lionel Stander has been dead for ten years, unless Lucasarts has a necromancer on staff, there might be a problem there.

As far as an Orson Welles sound-a-like, I'll again use this opportunity to put forward Maurice LaMarche (The Brain). He was Welles's voice in 'Ed Wood' and everyone has to admit that The Brain is obviously Orson Welles in mouse-form.

Well, seeing as Lionel Stander has been dead for ten years, unless Lucasarts has a necromancer on staff, there might be a problem there.

As far as an Orson Welles sound-a-like, I'll again use this opportunity to put forward Maurice LaMarche (The Brain). He was Welles's voice in 'Ed Wood' and everyone has to admit that The Brain is obviously Orson Welles in mouse-form.

I love the Brain. :unsure:

I think we should get Christine Cavanaugh (sp?) in here. (Chuckie Finster, Oblina, Dexter, etc. ) I always am amazed at the numerous voices she can do. :p

In order to give Atton Rand some more 'balls' to his character, i suggest Michael Madsen to do his voiceovers.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Only the important characters should have voice. To give voice to everyone is annoying and a waste of resources.

Like hell it is.

Ditching VO for some of the characters is to de-evolve the whole game-experience all together. Instead, they should take the time they need to make the VO fit as many characters as possible.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Actually I find it quite the opposite. It was the very fact that KOTOR was fully voiced that drew me so completely into the game-world.

I tried out NWN and BGII afterwards, and I just found them...lacking, because they weren't fully voiced.

I hope and pray that KOTOR II will be full voice, but then again: I'm pretty sure it will be. I just hope the NPC cast is as good as it was in KOTOR...though I still think Jennifer Hale stole the show :unsure:

Yup: I'm a Bastila fan, and proud of it.

The thing about sound in games now is that the developers can do it in .mp3-format and since it's only speech (and not music) the bitrate doesn't have to be very high either. So appr. 2 minutes of speech could easily be crammed into 1 Mb of data.
Unreal developers use OGG Vorbis (open source, VBR), and a few other developers also I think.