PnP Gamers

Adria Teksuni

I still have a group (two of them moved from Texas here to Georgia with us) that gets together semi-regularly for Rifts gaming, where we've incorporated a LOT of our previous gaming universes and characters.

The getting older thing sucks. That whole "job" thing kind of blows for scheduling.

Never assume malice when stupidity is to blame.

I have a weekly campaign which me and 5 of my friends game 4 to 6 hours. Been doing that for almost a year now. I always find myself a gaming group whereever I live and work. Hell, I had one on my ship when I was in the navy. Gamed every Sunday night whether in port or not.

The getting older thing sucks. That whole "job" thing kind of blows for scheduling.

Heh, yeah, it really wreaks havoc on the gaming. Just wait 'til you have children. I'm a bit lucky, 'cause my wife likes to play DnD every now and then, but I still don't get to play as much as I like because we all have to get our schedules right.

Anyway, I've been gaming for over 15 years now, most of that done with the various incarnations of DnD. I've done RIFTS, and enjoyed it, but DnD will always be my first love (even if I think that they still haven't gotten the Ranger right).

So where in GA do you live? I'm in the Savannah area, and it always amazes me to run into GA folk at message boards.

Hee hee hee, yeah, Mrr'lyn managed to get his butt kicked in our Megaverse. Funnily enough, in an AD&D campaign about a decade ago, we'd stumbled onto this sword that said "Excalibur" and a bunch of other cryptic rubbish on it. We kept it because it looked neat and was magical. Imagine our surprise when we ran into New Camelot...My Chiang'Ku helped the PCs use Excalibur to get the REAL Merlin out of that stupid tree and he was rather not pleased...

That was fun.

My husband is the one who introduced me to gaming more years ago than I will say. It's nice when you're sleeping with the GM. :p Seriously, we've managed to build this enormously complex world that steals - er...draws from a wide variety of source material, including Marvel/DC, various anime, the Dune series, and thanks to KoTOR, now includes Star Wars.

We're in Alpharetta, right outside of Atlanta, so unfortunately I don't see any pick-up games in our future. ;)

Right now we're involved with two majour campaigns, one is set in Heroes Unlimited, and is a blast and a half. The other is a "go get the artifacts, good boy!" quest where I randomly rolled a bunch of worlds to find the items. They just got back from Rokugan.

Yeah, we have kiddos, and I'm convinced their teachers think we're Satanists...*sigh*

we still play 2 times a month with some guys who live in the bay area and sacramento valley. only bad thing is that Gromnir likes to play games and yet we always get stuck being the dm.

HA! Good Fun!

p.s. oh, and we hate d&d, but these guys is d&d players for the most part. ack.

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

we still play 2 times a month with some guys who live in the bay area and sacramento valley. only bad thing is that Gromnir likes to play games and yet we always get stuck being the dm.

HA! Good Fun!

Nice to know I'm not the only one perpetually behind the screen.

HA! Good Fun!

p.s. oh, and we hate d&d, but these guys is d&d players for the most part. ack.

d00d! You live in Northern Cali?!! So do I!!! That is lik s0 kewl!11!!!!1!

;)

As for this topic....I didn't know any PnP gamers still existed. I've always wanted to give it a try...but even what little group of friends I have are not that 'geeky'. :rolleyes:

Considering that WotC has sold several million Player's Handbooks since 3E started out four years ago, I'd say that there are plenty of PnP gamers around.

I'm usually stuck behind the screen as well, and every time I try to go back to playing, something screws the campaign up. Bad karma or something. I currently have a long-term (2 years so far) FR D&D campaign running.

I enjoy RIFTS, as it is one of the few systems where I can build an uber-powerful character and not feel bad - since all the other characters are uber-powerful as well. My fav is a Temporal Raider, though I've played human ley-line walkers, True Atlanteans, and godlings. I'd love to run RIFTS again, but, unfortunately, I don't have the needed books (and I'd probably have to sit down and house-rule the hell out of the system to fix some things - like the fifteen attacks per round ninjas can get and so on).

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

I've run most systems out there. I don't care for D20 or D&D.

I prefer Legend of the Five Rings, the old West End Star Wars, and the World of Darkness. I'm usually behind the screen, and also did a good 3-4 year stint running a large LARP chapter in the Camarilla.

My views of LARPing are FAR from positive.

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

Heh, this character, Adria Teksuni, is a True Atlantean, actually. They're just fun. All the other TA's think she's nuts.

I did the LARP thing a bit, as a Giovanni, I had a good time, but I'm much too lazy for that kind of thing on a regular basis.

And yes, Geekdom is alive and well all over the world. You just have to look in the right hobby shops to find the collectives. :lol:

I love p&p gaming, but it's really difficult to get things together. I live in a small city, and there aren't gaming clubs or groups or anything like that - one is pretty forced to rely on their own devices for getting a group together.

I used to play all the time, but that group of friends has pretty much scattered to the four winds. We played Cyberpunk a lot (I think it was the best campaign we had going) and a number of the Palladium games, more for the sheer fun of it (rather then that they were good systems, as they're awful systems), but the style of the games alway led to great fun.

I ran a Warhammer Fantasy campaign for a while, which was great. Never got to play as a PC though.

newlogo.gif

...ah, ta 'ave me ol' crew together again fer an ol'-time PnP session...good times...responsibilities suck... :lol:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way