I hate spiders

deganawida

Last Saturday, I got bit by a spider while I was on my front porch. Not just any spider, mind, but a Brown Recluse. Until Wednesday, I thought that it was a fire ant bite or mosquito bite that had been rubbed raw by my shoes, but I had it looked at, and it's a brown recluse bite. Not fun. I haven't had a severe reaction to it, just swelling, fevers, and joint pain with massive headaches, but once this sucker finally heals I will have a "hole", and indentation on my foot where the venom has eaten away my flesh. This is not cool. I hate spiders.

I like spiders. Living in Florida, with all the annoying insects we have flying around, they are one of mans best friends. I will even go out of my way to avoid killing them. Usually if I see a spider in my apartment, I'll just scoop the little guy up with a cup and piece of paper and let 'em outside.

I have had to kill several brown recluses before though. And a black widow once. I got bit by what I'm assuming was a brown recluse when I was a kid and half of my shin swelled up like a balloon and left a nasty looking sore. So I don't risk leaving the highly venomous ones be.

Anyway, that sucks for you Deganawida. Just remember the spider was probably trying to mind it's business and you threatened it. They usually won't bite unless they're directly trapped by our skin somehow and will usually go out of their way to avoid us if they can, so don't hold it against em. Hope you feel better though man.

Yeah, I know, my foot probably brushed up against it or something, frightening it. Not deliberate, I assure you, for though I hate spiders, I leave them be, as I don't much like being swarmed by bugs when I go outside. That said, though, I view them as being as amicable as having a root canal: necessary (from what I understand; never had one, personally), but not something you want.

Still Life, do you have a "hole" still where it bit you?

it's only fair if you get a new spider and feed your cat to it (in pieces). Go out and get a dog while your at it.

My cat catches enough mice as it is - he doesn't need more live prey.

StillLife: That's what I do as well with most insects. Spiders usually stay out of the way and eat flies and such that come in the house, so I'm happy to let them stay.

Though they like the bath-tub and often have to be scooped out and put somewher safe.

The only insects I generally will kill are flies and fruitflies. Hate those things.

Last night I had to rescue a moth from the tub.. I brought in a plant to get a shower, and there was a moth who inadvertantly got a shower with the plant. Managed to save him and he sat on my hand while drying off. Had to find a new home for him outside.

newlogo.gif

i have an extreme, and very rational, fear of ticks and chiggers... well, ticks at least. i hate chiggers but you can't really see 'em so it doesn't bug me, other than the itching.

the recluses are quite common in missouri (where i grew up) though i was never bitten... hope you heal well :)

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Chiggers=fleas? :huh: Damn southerners. :p

Unfortunately, we have all kinds of poisonous spideys 'round here. Yellow Recluses, Black Widders, Wolf Spiders (Big ass tarantula looking things). Gotta love the Sierra Nevada mountains. :p Still, wouldn't trade them for the city by a longshot. :)

<EDIT> We also got's ticks of every variety, especially the little red deer ticks that carry lyme disease. <_<

I think chiggers are mites... yeah? I could be wrong.

I don't mind spiders that are on the ground, but I hate the big orange orchard spiders. I walked into one of those on the way to the bus stop when I was younger and it was on my face!! AUGH!

But I too had a pet tarantula. I liked it. But I hate black widows. We just bought a house that happened to be infested with black widows. YUCK. But I think they are gone now thanks to the exterminator! ;)

My baby girl arrived 6/16/06!

I eat spiders for breakfast...

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

chiggers are mites... larval mites, but also a type of arachnid which is what a tick is, too.

missouri is notorious for their chigger infestations. regular part of my childhood chigger itching was... oh yeah.

down in florida, we had some really cool spiders. the orb weaver was one of the neatest, as it is the lady making the big, complex spider webs. very cool. i used to let one of 'em hang out on my patio just because it was cool. interesting to watch how quickly them buggers get after their dinner (recently landed insect of some sort).

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I think chiggers are mites... yeah? I could be wrong.

I don't mind spiders that are on the ground, but I hate the big orange orchard spiders. I walked into one of those on the way to the bus stop when I was younger and it was on my face!! AUGH!

But I too had a pet tarantula. I liked it. But I hate black widows. We just bought a house that happened to be infested with black widows. YUCK. But I think they are gone now thanks to the exterminator! :rolleyes:

What's annoying about them Black Widders though, is that they're almost impossible to kill on your own, other than smashing them with your shoe. Spray them with Raid, or set off a bug bomb, and they just close off their ventricles, go into a catatonic state, curled up playing dead....then crawl off once the poison's dississipated. :ph34r:

I have a small brown spider living in my basement. I live in New York though, so I doubt it's a recluse. I leave it alone for the most part, mainly because it catches all those annoying moths in the summer.

An uncle of mine who lives in australia had the pleasure to meet a sidney funnel web spider once.

It is worth noting that they are unusually aggressive and their fangs can go straight through the average boot or shoe. I've seen one chase someone before, it was pretty funny really.

I love spiders myself and I actually breed jumping spiders to study their semaphore communication system. I also maintain around 4-5 pet spiders that I feed the local irritating insect wildlife too (IE flies). My recent discovery of one of those bee killing spiders (they have a specially made web that rips the stinger out of wasps and bees) has meant a distinct lack of wasps too.

Good times and insect free.

have a small brown spider living in my basement. I live in New York though, so I doubt it's a recluse. I leave it alone for the most part, mainly because it catches all those annoying moths in the summer.

I have a small light in a box with 3 ladder weaver spiders in it. I haven't had a moth in my room for around 8 months now. The moths go for the light, and seldom suvive the spiders living in the box.

I think I have a spider for every common household insect actually.

Boss: You're fired.

Me: Ummm will you let me have my job if I dance for you?

Boss: No, I don't think so-

Me: JUST LET ME DANCE

*Dances*

It is worth noting that they are unusually aggressive and their fangs can go straight through the average boot or shoe. I've seen one chase someone before, it was pretty funny really.

Considering it's said to be the deadliest spider on the planet, i'm not sure how funny that is.

I remember watching a documentary about those things, nasty stuff.

They look cool as hell thought :

http://home-1.tiscali.nl/~ldvdberg/atrax2.jpg

http://hem.spray.se/minax/galleri/bilder/hf4.jpg

http://www.htwm.de/lkirsten/trichternetzspinne.jpg

http://surfnett.de/chriscross/gifte/atrax4g.jpg

:ph34r: