A more general Star Wars question....

emperor4.jpg

Has there ever, in the history of Star Wars, been an explanation as to Emperor Palpatine's background? How'd he get recruited into the Sith? How did he manage to disguise his power long enough to seize control of the Republic and forge an Empire?

For a guy who dominates so much of the series, he's a pretty impressive mystery.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

palpatine was a senator of naboo. early in his career, he strived only to have power in the senate, yet as he got hold of an old sith holocron, he started his journey into the dark side.

he didn't get recruited by anyone.

It's very hard to be polite if you're a cat.

palpatine was a senator of naboo. early in his career, he strived only to have power in the senate, yet as he got hold of an old sith holocron, he started his journey into the dark side.

he didn't get recruited by anyone.

I know the Senator from Naboo part (I hope when he took over the Empire, he hunted Gungans to extinction.)

But the Sith holocron thing....wasn't the rule, after Darth Bane, that there were to be two Sith, a Master and Apprentice, and they would carry on the Sith tradition? I thought he was just the heir to that long line of Sith plotting and scheming to seize control? If he isn't, does that mean that the Sith line died off completely at some point and he restarted it?

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

the EU isn't clear on the master n apprentice thing with palpatine. what is known however, is that the emperor possessed both a sith and a jedi holocron, the latter being stolen from him by skywalker.

as to his origin before naboo... well, just compare this pic with the one above...

link.lieberman.ap.jpg

addition: by the time of his first death, he is 88 years old. in episode 2, he is 52 years old.

due to his interest in archeology, palpatine studied the ruins in korriban and is likely to have met with a sith ghost there.

PS: oh yeah, got the info from SW databank, the unofficial encyclopedia and wikipedia.

whahaha... why, i wouldn't dream of it.

ONE problem i do have with the sith though, especially with KOTOR:

"only two there are - master and apprentice"

well, right-o, only problem is: this rule was introduced with darth bane, 2000 years before the movies. KOTOR however was even before that time.

so why did malak "grudgingly" took the role of the apprentice? there was no need to do so- they just could have been sith equals.

so why did malak "grudgingly" took the role of the apprentice? there was no need to do so- they just could have been sith equals.

I presume because he still needed to learn from a master...just because there were more than two Sith in this period doesn't mean you don't have to learn your skills/powers from someone more knowledgeable than yourself.

Hence the Sith training grounds you visit.

I think he learned of the Sith by browsing the Holonet. Maybe he also picked up "Sith For Dummies" off of Amazon. :rolleyes:

Maybe Palpatine's a very old Sith. Having transferred his essence from decaying body to a fresh one every now and then. If you go by EU, the Emperor had his own personal cloning facilities.

the EU isn't clear on the master n apprentice thing with palpatine. what is known however, is that the emperor possessed both a sith and a jedi holocron, the latter being stolen from him by skywalker.

as to his origin before naboo... well, just compare this pic with the one above...

link.lieberman.ap.jpg

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Thats hilarious. Anyway I think the "there can only be two a master and an apprentice" doesn't mean there can only be two Sith in the entire galaxy. The Jedi have the same code, but there are a lot of Jedi. The "only two" rule means that a master can not take on 2 or 3 apprentices, it doesnt limit the amount of Sith. If you think about it, its not even safe to just have two Sith....what if their ship exploded....the Sith Empire would just fall.

I presume because he still needed to learn from a master...just because there were more than two Sith in this period doesn't mean you don't have to learn your skills/powers from someone more knowledgeable than yourself.

Hence the Sith training grounds you visit.

Simplify man!

Darth Malak was "grudgingly" being the apprentice of Revan because there can be only one head honcho in an organization such as the sith deal Revan had going.

And Malak knew it was no good to fight it. Revan was the leader, even if a fair number thought Malak was. It seemed like Revan knew a considerable bit more about the Sith and such before Malak, so he could teach Malak.

Well, if the above theory is true, who was Revan's master?

Well, if the above theory is true, who was Revan's master?

Sith Holocron? Probably was one lying around. There always is. Which is strange, I think. The Sith don't seemed to be geared toward artifice, nor particularly interested in sharing their knowledge.

I think EU has an answer to that one. I'm fairly certain he learned all he did about the force from Holocron's.

That sounds a bit too shallow and far-fetched to me. It must be more to it.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

ahh..... so some else thinks that pulpatine and darth sidious were the same.

however, palpatine might have been older the 80+, the senetor from naboo might have been the clone, since we all know the pulpatine had his very own cloning device , thathe got on his 20th birthday from marka ragnos, he could have cloned many more of his evil seed than just the ones we know of.(for instance the one that said vader was a sick man in a mask)

Strength through Mercy

Head Torturor of the Cult of the Anti-gnome

ahh..... so some else thinks that pulpatine and darth sidious were the same.

however, palpatine might have been older the 80+, the senetor from naboo might have been the clone, since we all know the pulpatine had his very own cloning device , thathe got on his 20th birthday from marka ragnos, he could have cloned many more of his evil seed than just the ones we know of.(for instance the one that said vader was a sick man in a mask)

I was under the impression that palpatine became his clones, he'd whip up a clone killhimself then posses the clone, then Bob's your uncle he's sexy again...

Yaw devs, Yaw!!! (