Icewind Dale 3

Craigboy2

Icewind Dale is the only D&D game i like and if they make i request it to be pc only even though i love my Xbox(Halo,TC:PT,KOTOR,GTO,PG,PG2...).I Bet Obsidian can get the license for it. I aslo read somewhere or hear somewhere that the staff are hoping to get the licence if they have a chance.

Oh ya and why do you have to get a D&D license to make certen games?

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

If BG3 is still about your god-child character, I won't buy it unless its in the bargain... or if it gets MAD props from reviews and everyone that I hear online. ;)

I really am not immediately interested in the god-child saga. Baldur's Gate and the sword coast have more to offer. I hope it is an all-new story in which the god-child character and the happenings thereof are mentioned, but not part of the active game.

Icewind, however, is a different story. Icewind Dale was my favorite of the pre-3D. BG1/expansion was next, then IWD2. BG2 was pretty good too, but not as good IMO as those.

I would love to see IWD3 as a new story and translated to 3D.

but Obsidian may or may not want to spend any time on it... they might get bored with the DnD games... believe me, working on a project can become boring after a long time of development, unless everything goes w/o a hitch. ;)

I loved BG since you started at the very bottom of the heap and had to build up your character. It was fun. BG2 was more about knowing which spells cancel which than actually hacking at the enemy. If they do make BG3 I would hope it would completely different story with a new level 1 character.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't mind making an Icewind Dale 3. Atari would have to want the product though and I'm not sure if they are interested in continuing that brand. I should ask though, since I haven't yet.

Having said that, I would like us, Obsidian, to create our own world soon as well. I would bet that would come before us doing an Icewind Dale 3.

Feargus Urquhart

CEO

Obsidian Entertainment, Inc.

I wouldn't mind making an Icewind Dale 3.  Atari would have to want the product though and I'm not sure if they are interested in continuing that brand.  I should ask though, since I haven't yet.

Having said that, I would like us, Obsidian, to create our own world soon as well.  I would bet that would come before us doing an Icewind Dale 3.

After the release of KotOR 2 you'll be swimming in money and you'll be able to buy the rights to Icewind Dale 3 from Atari! Or was that a dream I had last night?

Anyhow, I really think you should concentrate on a (*cough*post apocalyptic*cough*) own intellectual property after these first huge projects. I want to see Obsidian in full effect, without the constraints of LucasArts, Star Wars, Bioware engines, Atari publishers, WotC rules and so on and so forth.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Well, I've been playing the Icewind Dale games for the past few weeks. It's my fifth run through Icewind Dale and first run through Icewind Dale II, and it really surprises me how well these games last. I'm having as much fun, even more fun, now as I did when I first played the game through.

It's a classic dungeon crawler with beautiful graphics, even though they are outdated (3d being well, dominant in every game released today). Well, if Obsidian would develop the third game in the series, I'd be sure to buy it. :)

I really think Obsidian should try a setting that either hasn't been done before (which would be cool....but I'm too uncreative to even begin to think of one :unsure:), or one that has been seldom used.

As much as I like Fallout and all that, it does seem like the settings in RPGs are becoming static.

I wouldn't mind making an Icewind Dale 3.  Atari would have to want the product though and I'm not sure if they are interested in continuing that brand.  I should ask though, since I haven't yet.

Having said that, I would like us, Obsidian, to create our own world soon as well.  I would bet that would come before us doing an Icewind Dale 3.

Just make it something other than fantasy! I want some good sci fi goodness. Cyberpunkish would be nice.

I loved BG since you started at the very bottom of the heap and had to build up your character.  It was fun.  BG2 was more about knowing which spells cancel which than actually hacking at the enemy.  If they do make BG3 I would hope it would completely different story with a new level 1 character.

Well, I've read in a magazine (can't remember if it's PC Gamer or another.) That

the story will revolve around what happened before Baldur's Gate 1.

So since it has nothing to do with your main character in the original BG series, I expect we will start at level one.

I can't say I'm really surprised since It would be impossible to continue with your player after BG2: TOB. Either you end up being a GOD, (Can't make an RPG about that I would think.) or You wander the earth with a few battles here and there which has nothing to do with your Bhaal heritage (Which of course is the center piece of the BG series.) So you can't take that route either. So what's left?

Well there's taking the approach of making a Star Wars type of thing by telling the end of the story first and then the beginning afterwards, lol.

The advantage is that the already great BG fanbase would be excited about learning in more detail what happened in the past, much more than what you learn in BG2: TOB. (So you keep the spirit of the BG stories by making the main theme relevent to the rest of the story). Only drawback of course is the fact that your main character in the series won't be a part of the story (or very little, when he's born and Gorion takes him and leaves Sarevok behind, maybe), and you probably won't see any of your memorable companions. (Except maybe Jaheira and Khalid which were friends of Gorion before Baldur's Gate 1).

But that can be easily remedied if they can come up with some new memorable ones.

The Icewind Dale games probably had something to do with Interplay losing the d&d license in the first place. Just too many invented, non-d&d creatures, spells and rules exceptions. Non meaning you could'nt find many of the things they created in any of the rule books. Nothing wrong with being creative, of course, but when dealing with such a rich, widely known intectual property they should have tried to stay on track. By doing weird stuff like taking away undead level drain in IWD1 and implementing really just half assed 3d rules in IWD2 they did'nt do themselves any favors... Wotc did'nt like this one bit. Bioware has always used d&d rules in a respectfull, traditional fashion(always getting everything approved by Wotc) and could probably retain the license for some time to come. And yes yes... many of the Obsdian guys are ex Interplay/Blackisle guys but in the current context Bioware is the parent company and one would think mistakes of the past would not be made. Plus the main rules meister of old is gone...

the only thing I've seen so far is that it is to be published by Atari. Which leads me to wonder who is actually developing the game. Is Atari even doing inhouse developing anymore?

I think Atari still directly run "Melbourne House" in Australia (the guys that did that transformers game for consoles)... but thats not really pertinant to rpg development :unsure:

No, actually it has more to do with Atari purchasing the exclusive rights to D&D and Atari having a lot more money than Interplay.  BioWare never had the D&D rights themselves.  Their publishers did (first Interplay, then Atari).

AFAIK, Bioware only had the Forgotten Realms license, not a "D&D" license (although the point is moot now that WoTC have released D&D under an open license). This was what Atari acquired (once again, AFAIK). Although troika's Temple of Elemental Evil suggests Atari may have acquired a licence for Greyhawk too (or perhaps that was a once off).

Course, I could be wrong :o

err!

jak

No, actually it has more to do with Atari purchasing the exclusive rights to D&D and Atari having a lot more money than Interplay.  BioWare never had the D&D rights themselves.  Their publishers did (first Interplay, then Atari).

AFAIK, Bioware only had the Forgotten Realms license, not a "D&D" license (although the point is moot now that WoTC have released D&D under an open license). This was what Atari acquired (once again, AFAIK). Although troika's Temple of Elemental Evil suggests Atari may have acquired a licence for Greyhawk too (or perhaps that was a once off).

Course, I could be wrong :)

err!

jak

Atari has the electronic rights to all D&D campaign settings (of which only three currently are supported by WotC). BioWare technically never did have the D&D rights or FR rights themselves.

Didn't people get really ticked at Bioware for their own variations that were no where near what the 3rd Edition rules actually were?  Especially in terms of spells (IIRC)?

yes I was more ticked off at BioWare's variations than I ever was with Black Isle's variations. Anything that Black Isle seemed to deviate with still seemed to keep the spirit of the game.

• 2 weeks later...

It would be fun to see some new exotic area in ID3 - like jungles of Chult in ID2 (best level in the entire sequel) plus original intrigue. Storyline in Icewind Dale 2

was really, really bad.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

Truth if you look at ID2. But part one had a great story and climate (in my opinion).

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

The Icewind Dale games probably had something to do with Interplay losing the d&d license in the first place.  Just too many invented, non-d&d creatures, spells and rules exceptions.

What?...

Look Interplay lost D&D games for the PC because they had to pay for both PC and console rights, and they decided to go console, cancelling Project Jefferson. Then they lost the rights to the consoles too, they lost it in the courts. Atari wanted everything D&D related, WoTC gave up on Iplay, end of story.

On IWD3 yeah good idea, why not. It will be a slam dunk for sure. Must be made in three monts though.