Lightsaber Construction

While it was cool that we "built" our own lightsaber in KOTOR, it was pretty much "look at my guy move his hands and voila....a lightsaber."

I know this is a minor thing and if it didn't make it in I probably wouldn't care, but make it a bit more involved. Also....depending on how you could integrate it into the story, perhaps let you create your own double-bladed saber or an additional secondary saber. Sure...I could always just use one I found...but it just seems cooler using the one you created.

Perhaps, expanding on things a bit further, have the lightsaber you create a unique lightsaber, that is perhaps easier to modify (since you know the ins and outs of it). Little things like different hilts or stuff (although this is relatively minor).

Depending on what Jedi Class you are, allow some sort of uniqueness to it, perhaps even based on a character's intelligence (the neglected stat) or repair skill. This may make more sense with the prestige classes; maybe even make a limitation of a really good prestige class that you can only use a lightsaber you have created (but have the ability to modify better with your special abilities gained by your prestige class).

Like I said....not a big deal, but when I heard about the fact that I could create my own lightsaber, I was a little let down by it in KOTOR....maybe even just a little minigame :lol:

We did make our own lightsaber, it was just a silly little cutscene creation though.

I would like to see doing something more than just adding crystals, like adding a new power source, etc.

TripleRRR

Using a gamepad to control an FPS is like trying to fight evil through maple syrup.

I thought our lightsabre was already created and we have to go find it... in KotOR2

It is...but you do get to improve on it or even find or build a new one. This is on a side note but has anyone noticed that nothing concerning lightsabers were on sale anywhere.....except the stupid space station download.

While it was cool that we "built" our own lightsaber in KOTOR, it was pretty much "look at my guy move his hands and voila....a lightsaber."

I know this is a minor thing and if it didn't make it in I probably wouldn't care, but make it a bit more involved. Also....depending on how you could integrate it into the story, perhaps let you create your own double-bladed saber or an additional secondary saber. Sure...I could always just use one I found...but it just seems cooler using the one you created.

Perhaps, expanding on things a bit further, have the lightsaber you create a unique lightsaber, that is perhaps easier to modify (since you know the ins and outs of it). Little things like different hilts or stuff (although this is relatively minor).

Depending on what Jedi Class you are, allow some sort of uniqueness to it, perhaps even based on a character's intelligence (the neglected stat) or repair skill. This may make more sense with the prestige classes; maybe even make a limitation of a really good prestige class that you can only use a lightsaber you have created (but have the ability to modify better with your special abilities gained by your prestige class).

Like I said....not a big deal, but when I heard about the fact that I could create my own lightsaber, I was a little let down by it in KOTOR....maybe even just a little minigame :)

Ooh, yes, it can be like the overlooked Monster Garage game. Tighten some bolts here, cut some siding there, add a new power source there. Wait, now I remember why the only people who bought that name were named 'Zeke', 'Jedediah', or 'Billy-Bob' and lived in or near the Mississippi Basin...IT SUCKED! :rolleyes:

I know this is a minor thing and if it didn't make it in I probably wouldn't care, but make it a bit more involved.  Also....depending on how you could integrate it into the story, perhaps let you create your own double-bladed saber or an additional secondary saber.  Sure...I could always just use one I found...but it just seems cooler using the one you created.

Perhaps, expanding on things a bit further, have the lightsaber you create a unique lightsaber, that is perhaps easier to modify (since you know the ins and outs of it).  Little things like different hilts or stuff (although this is relatively minor).

Depending on what Jedi Class you are, allow some sort of uniqueness to it, perhaps even based on a character's intelligence (the neglected stat) or repair skill.  This may make more sense with the prestige classes; maybe even make a limitation of a really good prestige class that you can only use a lightsaber you have created (but have the ability to modify better with your special abilities gained by your prestige class).

Like I said....not a big deal, but when I heard about the fact that I could create my own lightsaber, I was a little let down by it in KOTOR....maybe even just a little minigame :p

Ooh, yes, it can be like the overlooked Monster Garage game. Tighten some bolts here, cut some siding there, add a new power source there. Wait, now I remember why the only people who bought that name were named 'Zeke', 'Jedediah', or 'Billy-Bob' and lived in or near the Mississippi Basin...IT SUCKED! :rolleyes:

LMFAO :D :) :D

Hehe...

"Just one more turn and... dammit I dropped the wrench! *BZZZT* OH MY GOD MY HAND!!!"

Joking aside, you could make it so that any weapon that you construct could be better or worse than what you can buy in NPC stores depending on you're repair skill. If your repair skill is high you should be able to build weapons that do more damage than those you could normally buy.

For example: Let's say the default blaster available in stores does like 8 damage. A character with high repair skills could construct one that does 10 damage. A character with low repair skills builds one that does 6 damage. That way if you have low repair skill you would be better off buying your weapons.

But you could also have it based on chance. Have it where a person with high repair skill has a good chance to get a better item, a good chance to get a equivalent item, and a low chance to get a lower item. A character with low repair skill would have a good chance of making a lower item, a good chance of making a equivalent item, and a bad chance of making a better item. That way someone with crappy repair skill may just get lucky.

Actually...this can turn into a bit more of a suggestion for skills.

Maybe have some stuff be a bit more random based on a DC check. It did suck finding out that I needed exactly one more point in repair to successfully fix HK-47 (although perhaps something as unique as him should have some sort of pre-req). Some randomness could make things a bit more spontaneous.

Maybe a range where there is some sort of chance....say you needed a skill of 10 to do it at all...less than 10 meant no chance...but up to say skill 16 there is a chance that gets progressively better. If you successfully do it when you only have a chance rather than a certainty, get HK to still poke fun at you with something like "I'm surprised a meatbag with your inability to hold your hand still was able to perform such a delicate task" (or something funnier....not a comedian here :rolleyes: ).

Anyways...just a thought.

Did anyone ever play that old C64 game called Paradroid? It was about a small, puny robot, on a huge spaceship, that could challenge and "take over" bigger robots in a sort of mini game to become better and better. The mini games were simple, yet demanded a lot of tactics. You were supposed to connect a couple of power nodes, you on your left and the opponent on the right. Whoever connected the most nodes won control over the robot. Small robots started out with few nodes, while big robots had a few extra nodes (and often won because of them). The playing field varied, though, so it was never only a question of who had the most nodes.

ANYHOW.. For some reason I thought that mini game would fit perfecty in the KotOR universe. Although the node building would be repair skill dependant and I'm not sure where such a mini game would fit, but it might work in lightsaber building. Uhm.. Paradroid rocked! :rolleyes:

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

That is a incredible bad idea.

In a RPG I sould not depend on my personal skills but on my character skills, mini games are most of the time anoying crap.

I'm sorry, you must have missed the fact that mini games are optional in KotOR 2. So now just shut up and let us who like mini games (except the turret mini game) dream of better times :)

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

That is a incredible bad idea.

In a RPG I sould not depend on my personal skills but on my character skills, mini games are most of the time anoying crap.

In an RPG, I prefer to have some actual involvement in what the character is doing, rather than simply watching him go "oh look...I have a lightsaber."

Like the 0.0.0 time in Cocobo Racing in FF X, getting over 50 points in 15 turns with fixed coins in FF X-2 Sphere Break ...

I hate then both, fact I was able to manage to do then does not change the fact they can drive people to insanity (never tried the 100 lighting dodge with IS insane) but in truth they are not required at all except to get more powerful weapons.

Then we have the Turret Mini Game with the perhaps the most stupid decision made in reguards to mini games since it was based on player skill, was impossible to bypass or change the dificult and required to move along in the game.

Involvement sould never mean forcing players to use their skills, I have no idea how to build a lightsaber but if my character have why sould I be asked to LEARN about it so my character, that knows it already, can use that skill?

drakron.png

Like the 0.0.0 time in Cocobo Racing in FF X, getting over 50 points in 15 turns with fixed coins in FF X-2 Sphere Break ...

I hate then both, fact I was able to manage to do then does not change the fact they can drive people to insanity (never tried the 100 lighting dodge with IS insane) but in truth they are not required at all except to get more powerful weapons.

Then we have the Turret Mini Game with the perhaps the most stupid decision made in reguards to mini games since it was based on player skill, was impossible to bypass or change the dificult and required to move along in the game.

Involvement sould never mean forcing players to use their skills, I have no idea how to build a lightsaber but if my character have why sould I be asked to LEARN about it so my character, that knows it already, can use that skill?

your fcking problem is you're a misrable S.o.B. Noone needs you trolling around these forums trashing everything everyone has to say. I've been on these forums for about two weeks now, and everytime I start a thread with an original idea, or see a thread containing an original thought, you show up and try to sh!t all over everthing everyone has to say. I usually don't result to flaming people, (I don't like to get banned) but if I do, it will be worth it as long as you do too, so others can get a break from your negative, self-serving, ignorant and basically f***ing stupid and worthless opinion.

To the others on this thread: Sorry. I just can't bite my lip about this douche bag anymore. :unsure:

Perhaps I sould let moderators handle that but here is my 0.2 dveloped to the 8th degree...

I dont like mini games to be like the Turrent Mini Game, many people complained about lacking the reflexes to pass that and one of the last things we can expect from a RPG is require to have arcade shooter games.

I never complained about Parzak or the Swoop mini game because they were completly optional, even if I am not much of a fan of Swoop Racing overall dificulty.

I dont think that such mini game on weapon construction is a good idea because its based on player skills, I can and will point out the game overall dificulty sould be set on what gear the party sould have at that point in the game, rewarding player skill will either make combat too easy or too hard and we will have people saying "its too hard" or "its too easy" because there is a mini game there that introduces a unbalancing element to the combat model, things as the challange curve on SW:KotOR are best avoided.

Also on a note, dont go over that "negative" thing ... first people are making sugestions and quite frankly some of then will stick ... fact is people think its a great idea without seeing the obvious flaws in their ideas, being those flaws from a concept point of view, a rules point of view or a implementation point of view ... I would like to see a Star Wars RPG that will be implementing vehicle combat but I do not think its possible with the Odessy engine and so I remain silent about it.

Besides you are just anoyed because I plain out say what ideas (that you aprove) are bad in a point on the other, the fact I pointed were they are bad just shows I dont go around saying "its crap" because I dont have anything else to do.

drakron.png

I dont think that such mini game on weapon construction is a good idea because its based on player skills, I can and will point out the game overall dificulty sould be set on what gear the party sould have at that point in the game, rewarding player skill will either make combat too easy or too hard and we will have people saying "its too hard" or "its too easy" because there is a mini game there that introduces a unbalancing element to the combat model, things as the challange curve on SW:KotOR are best avoided.

then why so make the mini game to just be a weapon enhanced customization so it would just affect how it looks and it doesn't affect the game balance????