A Rakata as one of your party members.

I wouldn't mind seeing an alien Jedi in your party. Juhani was ok, but she looked pretty human. Anyway, back to the flame war at hand about KOTOR being just like the origionals. The devs wanted a new story line to set KOTOR away from the movies or any other Star Wars story told before. However they reused the same or similar characters out of a loss of knowing what else to do. It was NOT their intent to rip off the origional movies, but they did so by trying to follow the same character formula from the origionals. So try and actually read posts and interviews before you make posts or start a flame wars with your ignorance. :)

I wouldn't mind a Selkath (there are no Selkath planned for K2, however), but there will be no Rakata in K2.

I thought the Selkath were pretty cool - that creepy voice made them perfect.

You gotta have the Rakatan in the box!

I wouldn't mind a Selkath (there are no Selkath planned for K2, however), but there will be no Rakata in K2.

How about Ewok Jedi? Jawa Jedi? Ewoks or Jawa, period?

You gotta have the Rakatan in the box!

That would be a funny idea. Fooling the poor Rakata in the box again with riddles about numbers.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

No Ewoks or Jawas. Or Gungans. Or any of the pod-racing aliens.

But a Hutt...

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Thank god ... I dont now why that mesh given me a headache (I think it was the eye position) but it certainly did.

The Selkath were nice looking but there was some issue with their teath mesh that ended clipping something awful.

drakron.png

How about gamorreans. I'd like to see a gamorreans supporting character(at least) that wasn't just cannon fodder....

Yaw devs, Yaw!!! (

puhleeze. KoTOR was a direct homage to the original trilogy. (which in itself was inspired from numerous sources: among them Joe Campbell and Kurosawa)

Characters: It's safe to say that many of the character types resemble those from the trilogy. I have to assume we don't need to go there.

Plot -Lightside: hero finds himself in situation of world (galaxy) shattering peril. Hero gets recruited to rescue damsel in distress.

Hero discovers special talents. Hero undertakes training in remote world to learn skills. hero learns about the peril of going evil. Hero undertakes mission to destroy weapon of evil. Before hero does that, he undergoes personal revelation that turns upside down his own conception of the enemy. Hero is confronted with his personal demon and truimphs. Along the way, weapon gets destroyed by friends.

Theme (lightside): Redemption. Han Solo redeems himself. Obi Wan redeems himself. Lando redeems himself. Darth Vader redeems himself. Revan redeems himself. Bastila redeems herself. Juhani redeems herself. Yuthara Ban redeems herself. Other characters redeem themselves.

Puhleeze. KoTOR was designed from the get go to please fans of the original trilogy by making the game a direct homage to the trilogy.

BTW: Elder Rakatans are kool. They too sought redemption.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Plot -Lightside: hero finds himself in situation of world (galaxy) shattering peril. Hero gets recruited to rescue damsel in distress.

Hero discovers special talents. Hero undertakes training in remote world to learn skills. hero learns about the peril of going evil. Hero undertakes mission to destroy weapon of evil. Before hero does that, he undergoes personal revelation that turns upside down his own conception of the enemy. Hero is confronted with his personal demon and truimphs. Along the way, weapon gets destroyed by friends.

That's the plot of half the fantasy novels I've ever read..

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

"That's the plot of half the fantasy novels I've ever read.."

I'm not trying to be flippant but....DUH!

It's called the "Hero's Journey", or "Hero's Quest", or awww hell....go read Joseph Campbell's "Hero with a Thousand Faces" or watch/read "The Power of Myth".

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=glance&s=books

What made the original Trilogy so great as a story was that it was based on the worlds' cumulative mythology. Lucas (and other fantasy writers) took the familiar elements of hero stories and made it their own. This "Hero's Journey" is formulaic. It is copied over and over again. Why? Because it works. Because people become satisfied with it. Because it has lasted for as long as literature has been around. Bioware paid homage to Lucas who used Campbell's research who articulated the combined mythology of the different cultures of this world.

I really happen to like the Rakata. Bioware did an admirable job conceptualizing this race --and reinterpreting the Hero's Journey. It's a shame Obsidian decided against using the Rakata. Lot of potential there.

Edit: added link.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

KoTOR takes places thousands of years before the movies.

Why reuse all the same species and settings from the movies?

Take advantage of the time period.

Why would there be many (if any) different sentient species in the course of a few thousand years?

Actually I'm a Public Relations Associate for TFN, not a writer. ;)

And about the "people skills" comment. I know that you were trying to be funny and sarcastic but being a PR Associate DOES require good people skills. Well not much emphasis on people skills but more of a communication type skills basis.

Its a fun job at times. To tell you the truth I just got through talking with Alexis Mervin from LucasArts this past Friday about KOTOR 2. Learned some valuable information. ;)

If you believe you can do a better job, by all means apply and see if you get it. Until then, you really can't talk. :p

You guys crack me up. :D :lol: :D

Ok, get me an interview with your boss and I'll impress the pants off them that they'll fire you on the spot.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Leferd,

I'd say you failed at not being flippant.

I've already read Hero with a Thousand Faces, as well as The Power of Myth, The Hero's Journey, Myths to Live By, tMoG: Creative Mythology, tMoG: Oriental Mythology, and tMoG: Occidental Mythology. I've even watched the six hour interview with Bill Moyers.

My point was, however, that your argument for KotOR being a ' direct homage to the original trilogy' is based on elements that are part of most fantasy tales. Elements you admit are part of every hero's journey.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.