why can't lightsabers cut through doors?

In KOTOR I constantly found myself wondering why I was forced to try to pick locks or slash at doors when I had a perfectly good lightsaber in hand. What about cutting the door open a la Episode I? All it would really take is an animation showing the Jedi cutting through the door and once he was done, the door could react as if the lock had been picked. They could even make it so that it took more time to cut through the door depending on the "strength" of the door in question. Additionally, they could make it so that once the Jedi doing the "cutting" starts, he/she is comitted to the act and if the party should be ambused, it would be up to his/her companions to defend the Jedi until the door is opened. I really feel this would add an extra layer of realism to the game and help players feel like they're actually playing as Jedi.

Because then someone would start a thread asking why you can't cut through walls like Mace Windu did in Star Wars: Clone Wars.

Then through floors, then through ceillings and so on and so on. They have to make a darn game here, reality has to take a backseat to fun and feasability every so often.

I'm with you about reality taking a backseat from time to time but all I'm saying is this: Instead of the slashing animation you see with melee wepons, they should replace it with a cutting animation for the lightsaber. I am by no means saying that I want to see the lightsaber cutting through walls and floors and God knows what, but if you've gotta get through the door and you have a lightsaber, then why not?

Instead of the slashing animation you see with melee wepons, they should replace it with a cutting animation for the lightsaber. 

I think you'll be satisfied with what we've done for that. :rolleyes:

-Akari

I know this won't change but, like, why the heck are all thee doors so damned huge?? With the exception of a few small doors here and there, there are all these huge garage-door sized maws instead of regular person sized ones. Just seemed a little funny to me.

If it's so your party can all squeeze through, how about making it so your party can walk single file from time to time?

i think it's for other species. wookies for example would have a hard time with small doors, as well as many other (more civilized) races in SW.

also, consider construction droids- they need space as well.

It's very hard to be polite if you're a cat.

If you really want to be technical or whatever, why is it so hard to kill with lightsabers? Really, one clean swipe should kill pretty much anyone unless they block it they're wearing special armor that generates some kind of force field and reduces the damage of lightsabers. Same thing could be said about blasters.

Lightsabers, even if they are the mainly the best weapons in KOTOR are still underpowered.... But of course if they weren't the game would be way too easy.

Uhh anyway to be on topic, I agree... It was kinda weak for the same bashing animation to be used for lightsabers, same could be said about combat as well.... Oh well, at least there will be a lot more variety in this game, heh.

I agree. Once you get the lightsaber, you should be a bad-ass against anyone who isn't a similar bad-ass. It is the sheer power you wield as a Jedi that makes the Dark Side so tempting. To abuse your power should have strong consequences besides just Dark Side points. The Darker you fall the more you should become like a heroin addict to it and your responses to other characters, your look as the Dark Side consumes you body and soul should reflect this.

Cortosis-fiber armor and blades aside, a lightsaber should have the power to sever arms at the very least and cleave heads and torsos (the movies showed it so why not?) in a super-battle against two force-wielders.

Summed Up: Reflect the powers, responsibilities and consequences the Jedi face better than the original did by upping the ante on each where possible.