Tim Cain's YouTube channel

Hi all! 

Tim Cain started an awesome YT channel. 

Reveals he's semi-retired since 2020, but working as a contractor for Obsidian and other companies. So far he's been talking about Troika, Arcanum, Bloodlines, Fallout and ... an unreleased Lord of the Rings game from 2001. 

Stories of Pillars of Eternity might follow, he's mentioned that and Tyranny a few times. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched the entire video. I find myself being able to relate as I have also worked on a b-project nobody but a select few people took seriously, and when it turned out to be really successful people who fought its introduction tooth and nail congratulated themselves on the added revenue and suddenly wanted us to take their input seriously, and they wanted a say in service development. :rolleyes:

Big difference is that our team got the recognition we were due in our bank accounts, so no one quit. Strange how that goes. :yes:

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

17 minutes ago, majestic said:

Big difference is that our team got the recognition we were due in our bank accounts, so no one quit. Strange how that goes. :yes:

That struck me as such a petty thing to do, no matter how you flip it or at what angle you look at it. I probably would have quit too...

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

15 hours ago, Sarex said:

Damn...

It's almost funny how bad of a decision that was. "Hmm. After a year of crunch should I give Tim a carrot or a stick? Stick, definately stick. That'll motive him!"

Edited by kirottu

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

The moment a manager/boss pulls something like that, is the moment I'm heading for the door. No kidding, I've left well paid jobs before, because I didn't like the management style and for that reason only. Having your mutually agreed upon bonus snatched away with no warning would be a 5 minute trigger for me (the 5 minutes it takes to clear my desk and return the door key/swipe card to the company)

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

There's a reason why Interplay is in the proverbial graveyard!

I mean it takes guts, vision, and a whole lot of luck to create a successful IP/franchise/whatever, but it takes consistency to keep it alive.  You'd think raising the pay of the creators and keeping them proactive in creating sequels would be the agenda after that, but business practices in the U.S. were quite abysmal during that time period.

On 5/31/2023 at 10:57 AM, ComradeYellow said:

You'd think raising the pay of the creators...

Why?  [serious question]
Why would raising pay be on any company's agenda?   By definition that increases operation costs, and reduces profits——both of which are counter to the point of running a company.

If they could produce the products without the people, they would; if the people produce the products for the agreed upon price, then the company agenda would almost certainly be to remain at that cost or to reduce that cost if possible.

*BTW this is not a bad thing; it's the ideal.

Edited by Gizmo
  • Like 1

Hey, not all of us are corporate scum-suckers.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

This has definitely become my favorite youtube channel. Tim has some great stories and clearly took good notes. I also really enjoyed his gay pride video and was happy to hear Obsidian was one of the most tolerant and accepting of the companies he has worked with.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Hurlshort said:

This has definitely become my favorite youtube channel. Tim has some great stories and clearly took good notes. I also really enjoyed his gay pride video and was happy to hear Obsidian was one of the most tolerant and accepting of the companies he has worked with.

Strongly agree. Every vid has been both informative and interesting. Very happy to hear that about Obsidian too, not that it surprised me tbh :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, daven said:

I recommend it. Been listening every day. Quite interesting.

This... it's not like he has 30 games to talk about, but dang, between his pre-Fallout games to Outer Worlds, the amount of information about life as a game designer and developer is something people could only dream of knowing 20 years ago.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
8 hours ago, Hiamnyr said:

That's exciting news! Tim Cain's insights into these classic games must be fascinating. Looking forward to his future content!

Indeed they are! Out of every channel that I'm subscribed to, I come back to his the most for this very reason.