What are you Playing Now? - Games don't make you violent, lag does

You're not wrong, because from what I saw, it looked very much like a mid-2000s 3D platforming-action game, with all of its charms and warts alike, that they tried to kind of halfheartedly give the Dark Souls treatment while maintaining a more actively told story. It was a worth a try rather than just make more miserable Souls-clones that all repeatedly miss the forest for the trees like they seemingly all do, but it just didn't seem all the way there yet either. I'm also kind of presuming that the sequel will be just more of the same, but who knows, maybe I'll be surprised.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Finished Solasta. Took me 40 hours. As far as the game itself, while I am not a fan of turned based, it does do turned based combat in the best possible way, like XCOM. The story and quest are fairly simple and straight forward, but not to the detriment of the game, instead the whole package is very lean and focused. There are no uneven parts of the game, the encounters are to the point and don't make the game drag on.

For what it is I'm fairly satisfied with what I got for my money. The only thing that I particularly disliked is that it's a low level adventure and as such there is not that much to customize build wise (although that could also be the edition of d&d) and there is a noticeable lack of interesting items.

I think there is an expansion/dlc coming that continues the adventure and raises the lvl cap to 16. I will definitely come back to it.

Edited by Sarex
  • Like 5

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Mafia 3 is getting tedious now, wish there was fast travel

• Gasp! 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Curse of the Golden Idol and Scarlet Hollow

Curse of the Golden Idol was a good game. Like a 2d Curse of the Obra Dinn. I can't put my finger on it, but it failed to capture me in the same way. But it's all the same stuff, look at a scene and some dialogue, and piece together who everyone is and how they died. It's intellectually stimulating even if it is lacking the same magic.

Scarlet Hollow is simply incredible. An episodic Horror VN that is leaving me with post-game withdrawals while I wait for the next release. I knew it'd be good from the demo of Slay the Princess (their other WIP game), but I wasn't ready for how good.

• Like 2
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

The Tarnishing of Juxtia. The map is opening up and now there are several areas to explore in order to gather the pieces of a magical seal. The combat is satisfying, especially the Energy Rush system (after enough landed hits, they don't consume stamina for a few seconds).

finally finished most stuff could do in wartale

this game didn't have a ending or final boss

still have about 15 formula didn't know how to unlock

so much time wasted walking around due to very few fast travel point

Edited by uuuhhii

1 hour ago, uuuhhii said:

finally finished most stuff could do in wartale

this game didn't have a ending or final boss

still have about 15 formula didn't know how to unlock

so much time wasted walking around due to very few fast travel point

That is time spent bonding with your crew. At least they added the fast travel posts to the towns. When I played a year ago, they didn't even have that. I'm surprised they don't have a way to retire and get an ending, but I'm not close to that point yet.

Also, did you use pitons to speed up travel around the map? You can make quite a few shortcuts that way.

38 minutes ago, Hurlshort said:

That is time spent bonding with your crew. At least they added the fast travel posts to the towns. When I played a year ago, they didn't even have that. I'm surprised they don't have a way to retire and get an ending, but I'm not close to that point yet.

Also, did you use pitons to speed up travel around the map? You can make quite a few shortcuts that way.

learned to appreciate piton at second region

the ridiculous amount of money that upgrade unique weapon take also lead to wasted time on many bandit quest

i got really stable AOW4 on skrimish maps but man those story ones are crashing like crazy

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Picked up Space Haven on GoG. As a kid, I would always build spaceships with legos. It wasn't too fancy, I'd just take the base plates and connect them, and then build quarters and engine rooms and a bridge. This game lets me do that. The nice thing is it lets you control characters directly for certain events like exploring ships. It's a pretty fun game.

• Like 4

Completed The Tarnishing of Juxtia after binge-playing it for 2 days. The final boss was quite challenging and had rather unpleasant attacks, while the battle itself was slightly too heavy on bullet-hell elements, when it was completely impossible to attack the boss. Considering that most of the other bosses were more typical for the genre, I did not expect it. Overall, it was a very enjoyable experience.
Review:

Spoiler

The Tarnishing of Juxtia is an excellent Souls-like Metroidvania in a dark fantasy setting. The locations and bosses are diverse and challenging, the combat is satisfying, the story and exploration are engaging, and the visual style is gorgeous.

The character development system is classless. The weapons available are limited to melee only, while the magical abilities, which have to be found first, seem to provide support. The additional relics give unique abilities as well, offering a wide range of combat styles. The only drawback is that the newly-found weapons of a category tend to be plainly better than the previous ones, making upgrades less convenient.

The controls are comfortable and rebindable, left, right, and middle mouse buttons are supported. The game saves the progress on exit.

Highly recommended.

Completed Mass Effect 1 (legendary edition)... just some thoughts rather than a coherent recap:

World building felt great

The story  felt... meh. Not what sold me on the game.

Combat is for me still the best in any of the 3 games for one reason alone, it feels like you have 3 dimensions. I learnt one lesson, if I ever play it again, I need to remap the 'g' key for grenades, because I was always out of grenades from accidentally hitting 'g' when i wanted to holster weapons ('h' key) 😖

Companions were... ok? Alenko grated way less on my nerves this time around than he did when I played it originally. Didn't bother with any of the "romances". None of the npc's gave me any warm and fuzzy feelings. Mostly brought Garrus/Wrex for combat efficiency and Tali for her electronics/decryption skills (so I could loot crates).

Took great pleasure in taking down the secondary villains in the game, which were mostly corporations with too little government oversight (ExoGeni, Binary Helix, Cerberus etc.)

Loved the ominous feel that Sovereign exuded. It felt like a really enigmatic opponent.

The only thing I hated more than the decryption minigame was the mako driving. it felt like what it is... a frustrating time sink (as did the mini games, but at least you could spend a bit of omni-gel to cut corners there)

edit: Just started on ME2... did the intro comic rather than importing the save, as I wanted to play this game with Udina as the council lead and Ashley as the survivor on Ilos...

• Hmmm 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Started playing Wartales. I have to make myself play the game without feeling the need to get the best results. It's not that kind of a game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

...still jus' messin' wit' Divinity 2 moddin' an' waitin' fer the full Baldur's Gate 3 release in August...luvs the fact that the moddin' community fer D2 is still soo big, makes me miss the ol' days o' messin' wit' the Infinity Engine games...good times, they was...

...bah, gettin' a bit misty here...who's peelin' them damn onions??...😂

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

• Like 1

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

When you have 23 items in your Steam Wishlist and 8 of them are Early Access city-builder/RTS type games, 2 are E-A farming/adventure games and 2 are not released yet (the rest are one that are waiting for sales/not sure about, like Ghostwire Tokyo). I used to not mind doing early access now and then, or at least if it'd been in E-A a couple years, but at this point I can't make myself hit the buy button anymore. I'd rather just wait and "judge" a final form.

Like Farthest Frontiers, despite having food spoilage mechanic I wouldn't like, its dev is Crate Ent. so eventually I'd think it would be good. But also, it's Crate, that took 6+ years to finish Grim Dawn (8+ if you include the later DLC's). Nothing wrong with that, mind, but I have no desire to buy in super early this time. 😛

But I am happy there are so many city-builder/sim type "indie" games being worked on. In 3-6 years I'll have lots to choose from.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Realistically, at this point, my steam wishlist is pretty much just a collection of games that I will never buy. 😄

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

On 5/4/2023 at 11:12 PM, Malcador said:

Mafia 3 is getting tedious now, wish there was fast travel

Malc Im surprised and disappointed that you complaining about lack of fast travel

It doesnt take longer than 4-7 minutes to drive between districts. Take  this time to appreciate the city, crash into some cars or  have some fun killing pedestrians ...its easy to avoid the cops in a relatively fast car?

Dont end up being one of these lazy gamers who cant spend 5 minutes traveling to a region 

And there is mod for fast travel if you REALLY cant handle driving 

https://videogamemods.com/mafia/mods/mafia-3-teleport-between-districts/

• Hmmm 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

17 hours ago, uuuhhii said:

age of wonder 4

can not beat those angel guardian in story realm

tried two different build

I haven't progressed the story that far.

Some time combinations can be really nasty

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

On 5/7/2023 at 12:03 AM, Hurlshort said:

Picked up Space Haven on GoG. As a kid, I would always build spaceships with legos. It wasn't too fancy, I'd just take the base plates and connect them, and then build quarters and engine rooms and a bridge. This game lets me do that. The nice thing is it lets you control characters directly for certain events like exploring ships. It's a pretty fun game.

It's a fun game, I am really struggling to advance as all I do now is rush around to try to keep up with Energium consumption. Suppose I don't need to stop and harvest every derelict though...

Mafia 3 still dragging on, at least the DLC where you fight cultists is somewhat different.

3 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Malc Im surprised and disappointed that you complaining about lack of fast travel

It doesnt take longer than 4-7 minutes to drive between districts. Take  this time to appreciate the city, crash into some cars or  have some fun killing pedestrians ...its easy to avoid the cops in a relatively fast car?

Dont end up being one of these lazy gamers who cant spend 5 minutes traveling to a region 

And there is mod for fast travel if you REALLY cant handle driving 

https://videogamemods.com/mafia/mods/mafia-3-teleport-between-districts/

Mostly is an annoyance trying to do the truck missions, I just decided to not bother with those

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

On 5/8/2023 at 7:24 PM, melkathi said:

I haven't progressed the story that far.

Some time combinations can be really nasty

tried 4 build now

can never out swarm the ai with cheap garbage because ai can afford to swarm high level garbage

not sure how to overcome that

edit finally beat the angel guardian but victory 15 turn timer are far too long

didn't expect there are only 5 story realm

Edited by uuuhhii

6 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

When you have 23 items in your Steam Wishlist and 8 of them are Early Access city-builder/RTS type games

Would you mind listing the city-builder games on your wishlist? I only have two (including Farthest Frontier) in mine, but love these games and want to be sure I don't miss any potentially good ones. And yeah, I also am a hard 'no' on Early Access games.

44 minutes ago, Malcador said:

It's a fun game, I am really struggling to advance as all I do now is rush around to try to keep up with Energium consumption. Suppose I don't need to stop and harvest every derelict though...

Mafia 3 still dragging on, at least the DLC where you fight cultists is somewhat different.

Mostly is an annoyance trying to do the truck missions, I just decided to not bother with those

Yes the DLC do add some nice variety, I have completed some of them before I complete the main quest. I enjoyed the Southern general Satanist\witchcraft one 

And yes the truck missions are slow and annoying, I agree

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela