The All Things Political Topic - new edition

uuuhhii

33 minutes ago, Katphood said:

Katphood reporting here...

We are doing good. 😆

Welcome back... 👋

How's life up there in the far North, still tumultuous?

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

A school shooting in Serbia... Two confirmed dead, the security guy and a school teacher. As for the children, the info is all over the place, at best some amount of wounded at worst 6 so far. The shooter (14 years old) was arrested, so maybe we get some info as to why he did it.

• Sad 6

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

11 minutes ago, Sarex said:

A school shooting in Serbia... Two confirmed dead, the security guy and a school teacher. As for the children, the info is all over the place, at best some amount of wounded at worst 6 so far. The shooter (14 years old) was arrested, so maybe we get some info as to why he did it.

Just read about this, too. How often, if ever, does this happen in Serbia? I don't remember any other news about stuff like this from Serbia, so it would be very interesting to know.

Finland, unfortunately, has had three or four.

I don't remember it ever happening in Belgrade.

Seems to be 8 children dead and two with leg wounds and a girl with a head wound in surgery. The teacher is alive but critical and the security guy is dead.

Edited by Sarex
  • Sad 3

Kid had a hit list (10 targets, of which he got 8 according to early reports) and has been planing this for a month, even picked the day because the classes he wanted to go to were in a short order from the entrance of the school. His father was a gun enthusiast and thought the kid how to use them. The guns were in a safe, but the child knew/figured out the code. 

Early report say that it went bad from the start, he entered the school pull the gun and the security guy tried to stop him. He killed him, then the 3 girls who were monitors that day, then he went to the first classroom. There he killed 5 more before they were able to get the guns away from him. He ran to the schoolyard and called the police and surrendered.

Don't know what the background of this is, I guess we will find out in the coming days, but more likely than not it was bullying.

The kid is under 14, by a few months, so he cannot be tried, but his parents were arrested.

Edited by Sarex
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, Katphood said:

Katphood reporting here...

We are doing good. 😆

Welcome back, Im glad you okay. I was worried because you were quiet for so long 

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

16 hours ago, Sarex said:

The kid is under 14, by a few months, so he cannot be tried, but his parents were arrested.

What are the possibilities in Serbia, then? Is there a "foster home" or some other kind of institution that he may wind up in?

In Finland, the age limit is 15, and cases like this can be really difficult.

The psychologist can decide if there is a need for punishment. Right now he is in a mental institution and if they decide that he is deranged he will be kept there. Alternatively he will be sent to a correction institution for young children.

• Thanks 1

On 5/3/2023 at 11:29 AM, Gorth said:

Welcome back... 👋

How's life up there in the far North, still tumultuous?

Yup. Now I have my own apartment but those who didn't invest in a property in the past 10 years probably have to pay rent for the rest of their lives. Inflation is skyrocketing and internet censorship is at its peak pretty much. I can only use a VPN on my phone. I have to download stuff on my phone and transfer them to my PC...talk about workaround tactics.

On the plus side, women don't wear hijab anymore and the government is too scared to fight back on that front. They still use nerve agents on our schools(women) to test it out for Russians. Can you believe this? 'Here is a school full of beautiful 16 year old Iranian school girls...let's use them as guinea pigs for our Russian overlords!!!'

Terrifying. What's worse is that the opposition is divided into 3 groups that can't stop fighting each other:

-The MEK - Islamic leftist group with Marxist roots. Think Kim Jong Un but with Islam. Pretty much the least popular group. Nobody likes them really.

-The Democrats - They are mostly on the American democrats side. Most folks accuse them of being the Islamic republics reformists shedding skin. They(like most democrats) look after their own pockets so a lot of people hate them.

-The Pahlavi Dynasty - Now this is the most popular group/person(Crown Prince Reza Pahlavi). They have a reputation for being patriots. They aren't racists and strongly condemn all sorts of discrimination against minority groups. They aren't backed by any specific country or party though, so they might have a long way ahead of them.

I don't know how things will proceed but a lot of it will be decided once(hopefully) Putin shoots himself in the head.

Edited by Katphood
  • Like 6

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

On 5/3/2023 at 7:21 PM, Sarex said:

It’s spreading… not a school shooting though, but a mass shooting still 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65490418

• Sad 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, Gorth said:

Yeah... Happened last night. This will probably (hopefully) bring in radical changes in gun control. The issue is that after the wars in the 90s everyone kept their weapons (automatic rifles, grenades even rpgs).

Maybe not strictly political but... hard to find a good spot to drop this one. Although I am partially tempted to put it under funny things.

344909634_780924653362171_65341514286258

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

The joke about it being lucky no one knows what they do applies to so many places

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

On 5/5/2023 at 8:32 AM, Gorth said:

Astonishing, by the way, how some types of morbid behaviour tend to provoke more morbid behaviour of the same type. I suppose anyone who has worked in the press will know that reported suicides can increase the number of suicides committed. (Even if the famous Werther phenomenon provoked by Goethe is probably not real.)

Meta-analysis on the topic: https://www.bmj.com/content/368/bmj.m575

Edited by xzar_monty

17 minutes ago, xzar_monty said:

Astonishing, by the way, how some types of morbid behaviour tend to provoke more morbid behaviour of the same type. I suppose anyone who has worked in the press will know that reported suicides can increase the number of suicides committed. (Even if the famous Werther phenomenon provoked by Goethe is probably not real.)

Meta-analysis on the topic: https://www.bmj.com/content/368/bmj.m575

Yeah, "copycat killers" probably have an entire library section of their own. An old and well documented phenomena unfortunately, once somebody else gets fame and/or media exposure, they lose their inhibitions and decide they can do it too... :(

(it's like some barrier of entry suddenly gets lowered significantly)

56 minutes ago, Gorth said:

once somebody else gets fame and/or media exposure, they lose their inhibitions and decide they can do it too... :(

Probably goes all the way back to the Herostratus case -- and surely beyond, we just don't have documentation.

But then, best not to lose perspective. I love the exchange where a well-known sage was prompted with the statement that "Man is stupid, selfish, cruel", and he countered it with "Man is also wise, affectionate and kind". I mean, yeah, they're both true.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

AP sources: US Rep. George Santos facing federal charges

I can't believe they'd do this to a Civil War hero. What a miscarriage of justice.

• Haha 4

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

4 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

AP sources: US Rep. George Santos facing federal charges

I can't believe they'd do this to a Civil War hero. What a miscarriage of justice.

That's what you get when you fight on the side of The Confederates?

Apparently Tucker Klansman gets a new show on... Twitter. Would like to say I'm surprised, but considering the mask-off fascism / right-wing grifting from Musk lately, I'm really not at all.

• Haha 2

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

On 5/4/2023 at 6:48 PM, Katphood said:

Yup. Now I have my own apartment but those who didn't invest in a property in the past 10 years probably have to pay rent for the rest of their lives. Inflation is skyrocketing and internet censorship is at its peak pretty much. I can only use a VPN on my phone. I have to download stuff on my phone and transfer them to my PC...talk about workaround tactics.

On the plus side, women don't wear hijab anymore and the government is too scared to fight back on that front. They still use nerve agents on our schools(women) to test it out for Russians. Can you believe this? 'Here is a school full of beautiful 16 year old Iranian school girls...let's use them as guinea pigs for our Russian overlords!!!'

Terrifying. What's worse is that the opposition is divided into 3 groups that can't stop fighting each other:

-The MEK - Islamic leftist group with Marxist roots. Think Kim Jong Un but with Islam. Pretty much the least popular group. Nobody likes them really.

-The Democrats - They are mostly on the American democrats side. Most folks accuse them of being the Islamic republics reformists shedding skin. They(like most democrats) look after their own pockets so a lot of people hate them.

-The Pahlavi Dynasty - Now this is the most popular group/person(Crown Prince Reza Pahlavi). They have a reputation for being patriots. They aren't racists and strongly condemn all sorts of discrimination against minority groups. They aren't backed by any specific country or party though, so they might have a long way ahead of them.

I don't know how things will proceed but a lot of it will be decided once(hopefully) Putin shoots himself in the head.

I only read this post now and its very informative 

Firstly Im glad the Iranian government  arent trying to enforce the hijab wearing anymore. Thats a huge victory and it was what  started the initial protests and it matters

But what do you mean by " They still use nerve agents on our schools(women) to test it out for Russians. Can you believe this? 'Here is a school full of beautiful 16 year old Iranian school girls...let's use them as guinea pigs for our Russian overlords!!! "

What is going on at the schools and what do you mean by "use them as guinea pigs " , is this for language or wearing the hijab?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela