What You've Done Today - Don't do today, what you can get someone else to do tomorrow

Gorgon

First day of working out with the steel mace (also known as a macebell) and I am sore in places I didn't know I had places. Besides a great shoulder workout, the steel mace should also do wonders for enhancing my grip strength, which is an often overlooked area to exercise. I, admittedly, have slacked on it. However, I definitely need to pick up a pair of gloves because the knurling on the handle is chewing my hands up.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

42 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Reminds me of old tyme exercise pins. Be careful, used incorrectly its a good way to damage your shoulders.

s-l1600.jpg

Similar idea, less exaggerated weight at the end to length of handle ratio. The steel mace is essentially the same thing as the gada that's been a training tool in India and Pakistan for a long time.

GADA_FAMILY_kgs_w.jpg

The Persian Clubs that The Iron Sheik used to swing in the ring were a similar idea, though, again, less exaggerated:

i39FUxO.gif?noredirect

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I finished Ironman Morro Bay on Saturday. It was a fantastic race and a beautiful course, and I took about 7 minutes off my best time for the distance. I finished in 5:43. The big difference was fueling well on the bike, so I was able to run well. I ran a 1:53 half, and I felt really good for most of it.

348279567_1326374577915932_6208974657785

The swim was cold and murky, but you got to stare at Morro Rock for most of it, so it was still fun. I struggled to get my hands to work and get out of the wetsuit, but I'm really glad I wore aquasocks because my feet were not numb. Once I got on the bike I really felt good, and we had a tailwind on the second half. I averaged 19.7 mph. So close to 20!

It was a very good day, for sure.

Edited by Hurlshort
  • Like 4

The day is off to a really good start when the police knocks at your door and tells you a truck just plowed through your parked car. :thumbsup:

• Confused 1
  • Gasp! 2
  • Sad 4

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

26 minutes ago, majestic said:

The day is off to a really good start when the police knocks at your door and tells you a truck just plowed through your parked car. :thumbsup:

I would say it's good, as you were not in it. You will have a little headache having to deal with insurance and get a new car, but that's it.

Edited by Sarex
  • Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

2 hours ago, Sarex said:

I would say it's good, as you were not in it. You will have a little headache having to deal with insurance and get a new car, but that's it.

Yeah, luckily no real headache, already organized a towing for tomorrow and contacted the insurance, the shop will organize everything else. Turns out the police exaggerated a fair bit when they talked to me. I mean, yeah, the damage looks pretty wild but is mostly the plastic around the front of the car. Everything else seems largely intact, also no visible damage to the engine compartment or the axles, and absolutely no scratches anywhere outside of the impact area.

The truck seems to have ripped my left front fender and with it the front bumper off - stuff that's pretty much just lightweight plastic on modern cars.

Will know more once the shop's and insurance's assessment of the damage is done, but it looks like the car isn't totalled. Well, on the bright side, I can now stop agonizing over dropping the  comprehensive insurance plan I have. No real point in paying a premium for full coverage after the repair. Or anything, in case it's a goner. :p

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

2 hours ago, majestic said:

Yeah, luckily no real headache, already organized a towing for tomorrow and contacted the insurance, the shop will organize everything else. Turns out the police exaggerated a fair bit when they talked to me. I mean, yeah, the damage looks pretty wild but is mostly the plastic around the front of the car. Everything else seems largely intact, also no visible damage to the engine compartment or the axles, and absolutely no scratches anywhere outside of the impact area.

The truck seems to have ripped my left front fender and with it the front bumper off - stuff that's pretty much just lightweight plastic on modern cars.

Will know more once the shop's and insurance's assessment of the damage is done, but it looks like the car isn't totalled. Well, on the bright side, I can now stop agonizing over dropping the  comprehensive insurance plan I have. No real point in paying a premium for full coverage after the repair. Or anything, in case it's a goner. :p

That can be tricky. It may not look like a lot of damage but if the frame is bent they will total the car.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 2

3 hours ago, majestic said:

47 minutes ago, Sarex said:

That can be tricky. It may not look like a lot of damage but if the frame is bent they will total the car.

Years ago my truck got rear-ended at like 4 in the morning. It did some damage to the frame and because of that it would set off an anti-breakin thing that would require the keys to sit idle in the ignition for 5 or 10 minutes to reset. Very frustrating, especially in the hot and humid summer.

Hopefully the car isn't damaged like that.

• Sad 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Another exciting day of

208z4h.jpg

• Haha 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

4 hours ago, Sarex said:

There are also shock absorbers in the fronts of some cars, between the frame and bumper, that might have been damaged and that can't easily be replaced in all cars.

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

14 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

There are also shock absorbers in the fronts of some cars, between the frame and bumper, that might have been damaged and that can't easily be replaced in all cars.

Yep. I mean in case of a write off he doesn't necessarily have to junk the car. If it's a cheap fix he could do that and pocket the rest of the money. For an example the frame could be slightly tweaked and that can usually be remedied with an alignment if you can live with gaps in the bodywork. Although I don't know what the laws in the EU are regarding totaled vehicles and he would probably have issue insuring such a vehicle. Then again, new car prices are something else nowadays...

38 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Yep. I mean in case of a write off he doesn't necessarily have to junk the car. If it's a cheap fix he could do that and pocket the rest of the money. For an example the frame could be slightly tweaked and that can usually be remedied with an alignment if you can live with gaps in the bodywork. Although I don't know what the laws in the EU are regarding totaled vehicles and he would probably have issue insuring such a vehicle. Then again, new car prices are something else nowadays...

Yeah, I bought my car for 21000SEK in 2016, and I've found similar ones in worse quality go for more than the double I gave. I suspect local laws would govern what counts as a totaled vehicle. If it's the same as here, it's in the owners hands, even if it's just a ball of scrapmetal. Passing inspection might be an issue though 😄

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

11 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

At least with my insurance company, "totaled" cars are towed away never to be seen again and they hand you a check. If they were smart theyd have a division for parting them out. Theres no option to take the payout AND keep the vehicle.

I know that people can buy totaled cars over there. "Leroy" from Cleetus McFarlands youtube channel was a totalled Corvette that he bought to race with and that he eventually got to a restore the registration.

I think it's called a "salvage title"?

Edited by Azdeus

6 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

I know that people can buy totaled cars over there.

Oh, for sure. We have salvage yards where you can buy wrecks: Online Car Auctions - Copart Chicago North ILLINOIS - Repairable Salvage Cars for Sale

But I was meaning, I dont think the insurance claimant can get the payout and the vehicle from the insurance company. You could probably ask them where they salvaged it at and buy it back from there though.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

But I was meaning, I dont think the insurance claimant can get the payout and the vehicle from the insurance company. You could probably ask them where they salvaged it at and buy it back from there though.

For me it was the payout of the cars estimated value minus the value of the wreck. The difference between insurer is that some will auction off the wreck for you while others will leave that to you. There are some rules regarding what happens when the actual value of the wreck is higher or lower than estimated, but it's very convoluted.

Edited by Sarex
  • Like 2

Pored over my account and realized that I managed to spend a stupid amount on eating out and having food delivered this month. Eh, a little indulgence every now and then isn't going to kill me.:shrugz:

Edit: No update on the car situation yet. Insurance companies aren't the quickest and all, especially when it comes to payouts. Nothing new there. :p

Edited by majestic
  • Like 2
  • Gasp! 1

Got back home from my three days stewarding the Cosplay Hospital at MCM London.

Now the con-crash before back to work tomorrow...

20230526_130919.jpg?width=566&height=566

IMG_2266.jpg?width=424&height=566

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

1 minute ago, Sarex said:

@majestic Any updates on the car?

No, not yet. Getting the car trashed around public holidays is not the best time to get the insurance companies working on it. Everyone's out of office and all that.:shrugz:

Although it is getting ridiculous. Guess I should call them to see what's what.

• Thanks 2

Just picked up “Siege of Chtonia” from the local Games Workshop store. I’ll probably spend half the night browsing through it instead of sleeping 😳

edit: it’s an expansion for the Horus Heresy tabletop war game 

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I broke my foot last sunday. I did it in the most stupid way possible. Then again I'm not sure if there is a smart way to break a bone.

I was at Rammstein concert and I had drank too many drinks so I had to pee. When coming back I took the wrong stairs, because I had drank too many drinks. I took stairs up when I should have taken stairs down. I ended at bleachers. I'll just jump down from here, I thought. It'll be fine, I thought.

It wasn't fine and I missed most of the Rammstein concert.

• Sad 2

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.