What You've Done Today - Don't do today, what you can get someone else to do tomorrow

Gorgon

...our shepherd turns One tomorrow, so the wife has a Birthday Party scheduled fer the dog...grandkids comin' over, some "healthy" dog cake, the whole Nine Yards...WTF be wrong wit' women??...🤣

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

Saved a bumblebee.

SuccessKid.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

4 hours ago, Azdeus said:

Saved a bumblebee.

SuccessKid.jpg

...from Megatron or Starscream??...🫣

• Haha 2

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

41 minutes ago, Sargallath Abraxium said:

...from Megatron or Starscream??...🫣

Oh I wish it was a Beetle, I've always wanted a Porsche, that'd made my year instead of day 😄

Edited by Azdeus
  • Haha 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Have to go into office for some BS,  that's going to be torture.  Surprised so many people are actually going into the office though from the booking site, though, especially with the work going on on downtown roads.  Blessed is the slave that learns to love the lash, I guess.

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

44 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Have to go into office for some BS,  that's going to be torture.  Surprised so many people are actually going into the office though from the booking site, though, especially with the work going on on downtown roads.  Blessed is the slave that learns to love the lash, I guess.

Some people like the social aspect, why though is beyond me. You also have the people who take it as a break from their family/children.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

18 hours ago, Sarex said:

Some people like the social aspect, why though is beyond me. You also have the people who take it as a break from their family/children.

Well, the view is nice at least and they have some fancy ass coffee machines.  They have Whirlpool fridges here too, for some reason I was expecting much better than that :lol:

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It's 20C here. I'm ****ing done already, no more summer. Give me winter again, I'll take the slush and sleet. ****. This. ****.

warm-ace-ventura.gif

34 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

It's 20C here

My husband would be sitting in his recliner with a robe and electric blanket.

...I like that temp or lower for sleeping, much higher and I can't sleep for (censored). But 10C is about my limit for indoor temps. I don't want to wear more than a light nightgown and socks.

...maybe you should get a house with an ice rink as the floor, keep it artificially frozen in summer, toss rugs over it. 🤣

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Postscript: thinking about it, I probably would have developed a much higher attraction to purposeful physical activity if it was winter all year round. I would rather hike in a cold rainy forest then in 80F/26C sunny meadows. As soon as late Spring hits here I'm all about just sitting in the shade.

Although a redwood or other heavily forested/fern-ed terrain at 6k+ feet is nice to walk around in.
Many lower elevation pine forests, the trees are too sparse/no canopy and it's still way too hot/dusty. Don't like those.

As I've probably said before, if hubby wants to retire/live in a hot area, it's fine with me, but he will never then get me outdoors beyond sitting on the patio now and then. 😛

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Ah, Eurovision is culminating this weekend.  Germany's entry seems to suck the least

I went to the garage and changed to my summer tyres. On the way back to drop off my father, we suddenly heard a weird scraping sound, turned out one of the bands that keeps the petroltank in place had rusted through and was dragging on the ground. Not too bad, not a hard job to fix, not to expensive. Continued the last 500 metres until we were at my fathers place. Jacked the car up and suddenly heard a clanging noise, both looked at each other with a WTF expression, bent down and looked underneath the car. The left rear spring was lying on the ground instead of sitting in it's place. ****.

Rusted through and broken in both ends.

Edited by Azdeus
  • Gasp! 1
  • Sad 1

To quote Aragorn:

A day may come when the courage of Men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day.

Well, we may also yet see a day when me pushing the envelope on our developing platform comes crashing down on my head, but it is not this day. I just changed the entire way our login system for web users works while the system was live, and also introduced changes to the underlying cryptography and generate a whole new set of salts on the fly when someone logs in. Smooth sailing. Changing login systems and having to contact users about it is for amateurs.

Edited by majestic
  • Gasp! 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

1 hour ago, majestic said:

A day may come when the courage of Men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day.

That day is every Monday.

• Haha 1

Who the heck at Mozilla thought that putting more than a double-space of empty space between bookmark text lines was a good idea? *finds a css script to change it back*

...Viki is the only site I use that tends to rapidly tell me I need to upgrade my browser version to use it. So I mostly use it via the tablet instead. Decided to update Firefox today to use Viki for some movies on the TV. Blargh, the visual and UI design choices "app" makers - even for desktops - make now. *grump*   Edit: I also hate the word "app" being applied to everything, now

Edited by LadyCrimson

1 hour ago, LadyCrimson said:

Who the heck at Mozilla thought that putting more than a double-space of empty space between bookmark text lines was a good idea? *finds a css script to change it back*

I'm still on the last version of Firefox before they completely hosed the UI (88.0.1). I haven't run into any issues yet, but if it's anything like what happened with the final version of Opera before it switched to Chromium trash, it's only a matter of time. I tried to get used to Vivaldi, but there were a few nagging issues that were getting in my way that weren't a problem with this old version of Firefox. Sigh, I'm still not sure what I'll do, I just keep delaying the inevitable here.

I had this already sitting as a draft in a reply for this thread that I never submitted:

firefox_rLFrUxjgMT.png

It's mildly pertinent to my Firefox/browser situation, :p.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

23 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

'm still on the last version of Firefox before they completely hosed the UI (88.0.1).

Yeah, that's the one I was on before updating, I think. It was 88, at least.

So far version 112.0.2 isn't doing anything to really annoy me (no more than changing to 88 did anyway), outside of that double spacing bookmark thing. I mean, there's slight stylistic differences like always but nothing major. The rest of my previous settings remained during the update process. I did get rid of some "Firefox View" taskbar button/tab option.

Anyway, if anyone cares/might care later, the bookmark spacing I went into appdata/roaming/mozilla and under the newest profile folder, created a folder called "chrome" then create a userChrome.css file with this in it:

/*** Tighten up drop-down/context/popup menu spacing ***/

menupopup > menuitem, menupopup > menu {
  padding-block: 1px !important;
}
:root {
  --arrowpanel-menuitem-padding: 1px 14px !important;

You can make the 1px number whatever you want. Restart firefox.
It was also suggested that to make that work - make Firefox check for the css file - one had to do the below, which I did, but maybe it would work without, didn't try/don't know.

To make startup faster for most users, Firefox 69 will no longer look for this file automatically. You need to tell it to look. Here's how:

1. In a new tab, type or paste about:config in the address bar and press Enter/Return. Click the button accepting the risk.
  2. In the search box above the list, type or paste userprof and pause while the list is filtered. If you do not see anything on the list, please ignore the rest of these instructions. You can close this tab now.
  3. Double-click the toolkit.legacyUserProfileCustomizations.stylesheets preference to switch the value from false to true.

Restart PC/firefox.

• Like 2

Bookmarks, feh. I just operate with 160 tabs open.

^ Mine largely looks similar except I enable/keep the File/Edit/View text bar above. When I first start FF or if I hit the Home button it goes to duckduckgo and new tabs open to a blank page etc.

Along with a few other about:config tweaks I also created a Policies key in regedit to turn off Firefox's auto updating and nagging, once they started to do that. So it says "updates disabled by administrator" everywhere. >.>

The only thing that really, really bothered me when I upgraded my Windows 10 to Windows 11 (to shut up the constant nag screen) was that my Kaspersky Internet Security (KIS) (yeah, I know, Putin knows what is my PC now, right? Probably no worse than the CIA or Xi snooping on my criticism) suddenly started blocking everything. The weather gadget, Steam updates, EA App, in game store in Guild Wars 2... long list of things that made me turn it off every time I needed to do something. Lots of googling eventually led me to a page on their support forums where a 12 month long back and forth had been going on regarding a similar issue. Turned out the fix was to disable KIS's "Self Defense" mode, stop KIS, delete all contents of the Report folder in the programdata folder, start KIS, enable Self Defense mode again and everything was back to working perfectly fine 😖

Talk about obscure causes and effects...

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I can't find anyone selling the same -40mm springs that I used in my car to lower it, anywhere. There are tonnes of coilovers available though, so it looks like I have to rebuild the rearend to coilovers. Which is not a bad thing technically, but not what I wanted to spend my money on.

• Hmmm 1

The worst is Wikipedia... the number of open tabs just keep exploding. Every time you try to close a tab, you've open 2-3 new ones with new subjects to read 😠

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein