What You've Done Today - Don't do today, what you can get someone else to do tomorrow

Gorgon

The guys i sit next to at work both had fancy letterhead letters from HR waiting for them. I've been dreading what comes next all day.

It was contract renewals, it's fine, everybody's fine. I don't have to pretend to be interested to get to know new people. 

• Haha 4

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Spent the afternoon doing arts and crafts with Sonathan* and the missus. We made bath bombs and now the whole kitchen smells nice, though maybe a little too strongly, because Buddrick** picked a really fruity pack of essential oils. 

Bath night is tomorrow and he's really looking forward to using one of his new bath bombs. He's got some dry skin condition so he shouldn't take baths every day unless necessary and we have to go hard on the moisturizing. Also, the bombs need at least a day to dry.

*just what I call him, not his name

**Also not his name but long for buddy

• Like 3

Free games updated 3/4/21

Spring is here in Cackalacky, though, to be fair, we didn't have much of a winter. It's an absolutely glorious day and I spent a decent chunk of it at the park. Now I'm relaxing on the balcony sipping on Scotch whisky, like God intended.🥃

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Started working with my airbrush, laying the foundation for my Alpha Legion army (in Horus Heresy, aka "WH30k")

Sadly I didn't get the blue and green mix quite right, but I guess that is the price you pay for learning. My mix was too green, but the first batch isn't lost as they need several layers of this quite transparent paint (a mix Tamiya Clear Blue and Tamiya Clear Green on a metallic undercoat). I completely underestimated how dominant the green was, even if was only like a quarter of the paint mix. I'll use mostly blue for second and third coat, making them all shine blue traitors 😎

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

"I think it's been like 5+-years, I wonder if my PS4-Pro is really dusty inside."
"YouTube videos say it's easy to get the top piece off, just pull up hard on these corners."

*struggles like Superman fighting Kryptonite repeatedly, break a nail, deep dents in the bottom of fingers, sit on floor, at a table, cursing the whole time*
"LIARS."
... eventually hear the snap sounds, keep pulling etc. Finally comes loose - and didn't break anything!
...the fan was a little dusty but hardly worth the effort. Blew it out a bit, put cover back on. I guess I keep a fairly dust-free room. 😛
...I am not taking the bottom cover off.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Haha 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

16 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

"YouTube videos say it's easy to get the top piece off, just pull up hard on these corners."

This is currently a problem Im having with my laptop. I bought another 8GM RAM to install, and the installation video looks easy peasy, but watching the dude wrestle the back off the laptop has put the fear of the Flying Spaghetti Monster into me. :( 

^  "Taking this off is so easy!" in the 3 or 4 videos I watched for the PS4, I'd guess it was so easy because they'd done it on theirs several or a dozen times or more already. >.>   Plus manufacture randomness. 

But yeah, 7 times out of 10 (not just computer stuff either) the plastic snaps break and then you're hunting for the duct tape. 😛  

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

^ Don't have a specific tool but I've used everything from screwdrivers to hard kitchen spatulas. They break quite often even then. I miss when things were mostly done with screws and metal clips but pretty futuristic designs don't work well with that I guess.

Unrelated:

Well, with brief testing, it would appear putting the power-target of the gpu (undervolting?) at or below 68% stops the CTD's in Hogwarts, for me. Or at least, stops them from happening at either start up and within the first 30 minutes. >.>  At that low of a target (vs. 80%) I do lose 5-8fps tho. Makes me think Hogwart coding is currently doing something that triggers micro high wattage spikes for me, and either the gpu or psu or power strips or who knows what doesn't like it. Of course, that's still just a theory.

...ordered a new/different giant power strip because it's the easiest thing to try first. I bought one when we moved because the one I was using at the other house didn't have a long enough cord for wall outlet vs. middle of the room distance. And no, I'm not just concerned re: Hogwart's, I was having those spontaneous PC reboots, too.

Edited by LadyCrimson

Over the holidays we were gifted an 8-pod hydroponic grower: FIRINER Herb Garden Hydroponics Growing System - 8 Pods Indoor Gardening System with LED Grow Light, Plants Germination Kit with Pump System Automatic Timer, Adjustable(19.6") Ideal Gifts for Women (amazon.com) (ideal for women? wtf?)

and one recent drunken night we decided to set it up. We bought seed packets and set up basil x3, cilantro x 2 and Beefsteak tomato x 3 and Im happy to report that all but one cilantro has sprouted! But I also had a lot of leftover seeds so I drunkenly wandered around the house placing Beefsteak tomato seeds into a bunch of other various potted plants my wife has around the house. Loe and behold! 10 more Beefsteak tomato plants have sprouted in those planters too! So I guess Ill try to corner the market on Beefsteak tomatos.

*It makes me lol to say Beefsteak tomato.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hey everyone. It's been a while. The last few months have been... challenging, to say the least. I've been struggling with a major medical problem and it's taken a lot out of me. The good news is it seems a corner has been turned and the situation is improving. So very thankful for that.

I hope you guys and your families are all doing well and kicking the world's ass!

@Gfted1home grown tomatoes are the best!

• Like 12

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

35 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Hey everyone. It's been a while. The last few months have been... challenging, to say the least. I've been struggling with a major medical problem and it's taken a lot out of me. The good news is it seems a corner has been turned and the situation is improving. So very thankful for that.

I hope you guys and your families are all doing well and kicking the world's ass!

Great to see you again, GD! :)

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

37 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

The last few months have been... challenging, to say the least. I've been struggling with a major medical problem and it's taken a lot out of me.

what are your options when there is no light at the end of the tunnel? it is pointless to rage and howl at a medical problem. even despair is meaningless. being unwell isn't fair and perpetual suffering is far more likely to kill hope than it is to build character. 

i am relieved to hear your situation improves. you have my sincere best wishes that you might eventually reach a better tomorrow.

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

5 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Glad to read you're alive. Well, unless your killer is impersonating you..

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

@Guard Dog Welcome back!

We decided to replace one of the ceiling fans, which is normally a nothingburger, but this fan was attached to an 18' ceiling with a 5' down rod, which turned this job into a somethingburger. I have 6' of scaffolding, and I borrowed another 12'...and then I sent my buddy up to the top to connect the wiring. I dont mess with anything I cant reach from a 6' ladder. :lol: Its done and looks great. 60" wingspan, LED lighting (so I shouldnt have to climb up there to change bulbs) and apparently its "smart" if I download their app.

Over the last few months I've been putting together what I call the **** Went Sideways And Now We're Royally ****ed Survival Kit and it's mostly assembled. The kit includes:

* Pistol
* Rifle
* Lots of ammo
* Axe
* Folding saw
* Multitool
* Big 'ol backpack
* Tent
* Sleeping bag
* First aid kit
* Flashlight
* Lots of batteries
* A case (50) of disposable lighters
* 18 lbs of rice
* 20 lbs of dried beans
* Case (24) of bottled water

I should probably get at least 1 more case of water. I should get an atlas too, we're so reliant on GPS these days, but what if GPS ain't an option? I have one in the truck at work, but I should have one at the house too.

Also, welcome back @Guard Dog

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Thanks for checking in @Guard Dog and I hope your health continues to improve.

I am spending the day at @Gromnir's alma matter for a field hockey tournament. It has been raining all day, but I still got a nice run in through the hills. My daughter's team is getting killed on the field though. Cal Berkeley is a beautiful campus even in the rain.

25 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

That is something I will add to the kit, though I will still keep the bottled water because I'm not assuming that I have to GTFO, just planning for if I have to GTFO. It could be a situation like the the chemical spill in Ohio where I can remain in my home but tap water is not safe to drink. Even then, a filtration system is useful because bottled water will run out eventually.

There's still stuff to add to the kit, things I haven't even thought of yet, but at least I have a solid base in place so if **** goes down tomorrow I'm not completely SOL. 

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Good to see you again @Guard Dog... I suppose that is what happens when you move from warm to arctic climates 😝

Just kidding, whatever it is, get well soon 👍

Edit: I'll even light a candle for you and pray to Nurgle *) for your health ☣️

jwkMWt6.jpg

*) Nurgle may have additional terms and conditions to be revealed to you at a later date

• Haha 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Great to hear from you again, @Guard Dog and hope the journey to good health continues positively!

@Keyrock Are there any zombie-apoc food storage options that aren't mega carb? I guess I could live on pickled/canned veggies and soups for a few years...

5 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

@Keyrock Are there any zombie-apoc food storage options that aren't mega carb? I guess I could live on pickled/canned veggies and soups for a few years...

In terms of amount of calories per volume and weight it's really hard to beat uncooked rice and dried beans. You can get all sorts of canned goods and they'll last a good number of years, but they're going to take up a lot more space. If I'm in a zombie apocalypse, I'm probably not going to be too worried about sticking to keto.:p

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

6 hours ago, Keyrock said:

If I'm in a zombie apocalypse, I'm probably not going to be too worried about sticking to keto

Fair point.
Although I think with zero medical insulin access, if I ate almost nothing but rice and beans 2-3 times a day for a year, even if not a coma I would at least be pretty sick. Low carb is the only reason I don't "need" med. insulin. Still, maybe if I just ate once a day. Gotta keep the weight down enough to escape zombies, anyway.  :shifty:

@Keyrock Just fyi: Heart Water - Does Bottled Water Go Bad?: Water Expiration Dates (drinkheartwater.com)

@Gorth I have the same second from the bottom USB drive and I hate the thumb slide.

@LadyCrimson In case you havent notice, recently insulin was capped at $35 / dose (or is it bottle?). Finally.