Ukraine Conflict - Continues

Malcador

54 minutes ago, Gorth said:

I'm fairly sure the Tricolore predates the Russian flag by more than a century... I don't remember the details, but I think the Russian flag used to have a lot of yellow in when it was The Russian Empire, like yellow with a black Czarist/Imperial Eagle on it

Yes, remarkable I am seeing people not noticing that a French company with V in its name would do something like this.  The black, white and yellow one is from Imperial Russia, which I think some cranks still fly

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

Yes, remarkable I am seeing people not noticing that a French company with V in its name would do something like this.  The black, white and yellow one is from Imperial Russia, which I think some cranks still fly

The one I was thinking about (from around 1850)...

Russia - Imperial Tsar – The Flag Shop Ltd

The Tricolore dates back to 1794 or thereabouts.

So yeah, I suspect someone got a bit too sensitive and started looking for patterns where none are (or none are put intentionally in place).

Edit: Doesn't mean that there couldn't be more behind the story than just a French company using French colours. Sometimes there is more behind a story than obvious click bait.

I just remembered the yellow Russian flags from history books featuring paintings of battles from the Napoleonic wars. Iirc it kept the yellow colours with various combinations of white and black added to it up until 1917 after which it was mostly red. Disclaimer: Sometimes battle standards are different from national flags (e.g. the Confederate States of America)

• Thanks 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

6 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

Ah yes. You can tell people who are deeply committed to western liberal values, democracy, freedom of speech etc and are implacably opposed to extremist ideologies like nazism immediately by... their desire to fire people they disagree with into the sun. Ho hum.

I was about to make the same point myself. Some of the terminology has been unfortunate indeed. Wanting to fire people into the sun or calling for them to be thrown into the trash doesn't actually differentiate you from the very people you are talking about. So I would be more careful, surely.

This phenomenon, by the way, is nicely exemplified by the current polarization in the US politics. There is little if any interest in trying to reach any kind of consensus, and there isn't much proper debate to speak of, there's just vitriol on both sides. And the interesting thing about that is that both sides appear identical in their unbridled hatred towards the other. If I were there and had to vote, I would vote for Democrats, but many of them look just as infantile and rage-engorged as many of the Republicans. There's just no difference. This is very sad.

Edited by xzar_monty

48 minutes ago, xzar_monty said:

There is little if any interest in trying to reach any kind of consensus

Bro, I would agree with you if it were possible to talk to the other side. It was tried, for years, and now I'm very tired of it. As I said earlier, you give a little finger, they take the whole hand. So at this point, yeah, into the sun they go. Also I'm not even talking about americans, this is a problem around here as well.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

1 minute ago, Lexx said:

Bro, I would agree with you if it were possible to talk to the other side, but they clearly don't have our best interest on their mind. As I said earlier, you give a little finger, they take the whole hand. So at this point, yeah, into the sun they go. Also I'm not even talking about americans, this is a problem around here as well.

There are a few questions here.

1) It is indeed true that it is not possible to talk constructively with some people, conspiracy theorists being an excellent example. Whatever you say to a paranoid person can and will be interpreted in such a way as to reinforce the paranoia. I don't know of any good solution to this.

2) From the fact that it's not possible to talk the other side, it does not follow that "into the sun they go". This kind of thinking is itself problematic and quite naive, too, in my opinion. Interestingly, this kind of either-or approach seems to be very common, but it's quite often just bad thinking.

3) When you think that you are perfectly in the right about a certain group of people, it is good to keep in mind that that group of people almost certainly thinks they are perfectly in the right about you or the world-view you represent. That's a bit of a problem, isn't it? Not much chance of things changing with that kind of thinking.

4) Martin Luther King's approach in the American South provides a good example of what can be done even in the direst of circumstances. And yes, I know how it ended with him. I am no orator nor much of a peace-maker, but there's an inspiring example of how to meet someone you regard as your enemy. Nelson Mandela might be another, simply in the sense that there have actually been people who have not resorted to vitriol and have consequently managed to accomplish some rather good things.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Gorth said:

A slow news day when the only occurrence of the word Ukraine on the BBC front page is in an article on rehabilitation of wounded soldiers and Al Jazeeras main story is the growing love affair between Russia and China.

Strange considering so much is happening right now.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

5 hours ago, Malcador said:

The black, white and yellow one is from Imperial Russia, which I think some cranks still fly

LDPR types love the Imperial Flag. So yeah, can't get much more crank-y.

Which is ironic, because their own party's flag makes them look like Ukrainian larpers.

14 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Would have thought the POW getting executed would have been all over the news.

https://www.idnes.cz/zpravy/zahranicni/valka-na-ukrajine-poprava-zajatce-tymofij-sadura-bachmut.A230307_131251_zahranicni_tbr

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

8 hours ago, Gorth said:

The one I was thinking about (from around 1850)...

Russia - Imperial Tsar – The Flag Shop Ltd

The Tricolore dates back to 1794 or thereabouts.

So yeah, I suspect someone got a bit too sensitive and started looking for patterns where none are (or none are put intentionally in place).

Edit: Doesn't mean that there couldn't be more behind the story than just a French company using French colours. Sometimes there is more behind a story than obvious click bait.

I just remembered the yellow Russian flags from history books featuring paintings of battles from the Napoleonic wars. Iirc it kept the yellow colours with various combinations of white and black added to it up until 1917 after which it was mostly red. Disclaimer: Sometimes battle standards are different from national flags (e.g. the Confederate States of America)

Ah yes. Reminds me to go back to my EU4 game and annex Kiev. 😛

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/07/us/politics/nord-stream-pipeline-sabotage-ukraine.html

A new twist to things, although sketchy.

Another article related in German -https://www.zeit.de/zustimmung?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.zeit.de%2Fpolitik%2Fausland%2F2023-03%2Fnordstream-2-ukraine-anschlag

Must be a raised eyebrow in Germany.

Edited by Malcador

15 hours ago, xzar_monty said:

I was about to make the same point myself. Some of the terminology has been unfortunate indeed. Wanting to fire people into the sun or calling for them to be thrown into the trash doesn't actually differentiate you from the very people you are talking about. So I would be more careful, surely.

This phenomenon, by the way, is nicely exemplified by the current polarization in the US politics. There is little if any interest in trying to reach any kind of consensus, and there isn't much proper debate to speak of, there's just vitriol on both sides. And the interesting thing about that is that both sides appear identical in their unbridled hatred towards the other. If I were there and had to vote, I would vote for Democrats, but many of them look just as infantile and rage-engorged as many of the Republicans. There's just no difference. This is very sad.

I do not consider people openly advocating for Ukrainian genocide as people having different oppinion, nor do I consider people oplenly advocating for holocaust or calling all muslims ISIS, as people having different oppinion. They are the scum, and should be dealt with accordingly. And I can’t imagine any circumstances, under which I would ever be interested in any discussion with such people. 🤷‍♂️

Of course shooting them into the Sun is meant as a rhetoric hyperbole.

Oh @Lexx, if you consider central EU countries as the West as well 😛 , some of us have problems with left-wing extreminsts, and it’s not “them pronouns folks”, they are people like Blaha, who preaches Marxism-Leninism everywhere he walks, while endorsing his fans ideas to gang rape our president and journalists 🤷‍♂️

• Thanks 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Guys... lets move the general politics discussion to the general politics thread...

(going to move some posts)

Edit: I think the bulk of stuff not related to Ukraine and/or Russia is moved to the politics thread now

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

5 hours ago, Gorth said:

Guys... lets move the general politics discussion to the general politics thread...

(going to move some posts)

Edit: I think the bulk of stuff not related to Ukraine and/or Russia is moved to the politics thread now

I dunno that stuff was more interesting than this thread usually is

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Not a high bar sadly.

We're not quite yet to r/UkrainianConflict level of crap, at least 😛

• Hmmm 1

4 minutes ago, Malcador said:

We're not quite yet to r/UkrainianConflict level of crap, at least 😛

Be the change you want to see.

• Confused 1
  • Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

1 hour ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

Be the change you want to see.

Suicide it is then

• Gasp! 1

1 hour ago, xzar_monty said:

Its absolutely appalling but what do we expect from the  authoritarian and dystopian reality that Putin has created 

And people on Codex argue that Putin is simply trying to  " preserve white Christian culture " and doing " Gods work " :lol:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

On 3/7/2023 at 4:48 PM, Malcador said:

Looks like that story is quickly falling apart now. Stuff doesn't add up, it's also suspicious that the boat was returned, not cleaned, and they apparently found explosive residue on a table inside. How convenient.

Oh, and apparently that big sailing(?) boat was docked in a harbor with only like 1m of water depth.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

5 hours ago, Lexx said:

Looks like that story is quickly falling apart now. Stuff doesn't add up, it's also suspicious that the boat was returned, not cleaned, and they apparently found explosive residue on a table inside. How convenient.

Oh, and apparently that big sailing(?) boat was docked in a harbor with only like 1m of water depth.

As I said is sketch, not seeing anything new on it other than Western folk denying it and saying it's obviously Russians, etc.  But incompetence isn't all that uncommon, theory is these aren't government agents after all.  Read someone denying it as "if it were pro-Ukrainian it would have be done without these flaws", because I guess the side you're pulling for provides some innate competency.

Guess we should wait for Sweden's report, though.

Edited by Malcador

Hehe, even Lavrov has stated, that the Ukrainian lead to Nordstream sabotage is bull**** 😅

https://t.me/bbbreaking/150102

Puting the tinfoil hat up, this resembles typical Russian psyop, to blame the western media as incompetent liars, in the case that someone finds out, that the sabotage was really the work of Russia 🙈

• Like 2

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours