Cinema and Movie Thread: flickering images

Chairchucker

5 hours ago, Keyrock said:

Challenge of 5 Gauntlets (2018) - I'm back for another film from Pennsylvanian schlock auteur Len Kabasinski.

New profile picture when, Keyrock? You've been on this current Rubberface dude, like, forever! 

15 hours ago, bugarup said:

New profile picture when, Keyrock?

eS5naWY.gif

New picture now!

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Peter & Wendy (1911). Well...this is a book and not a movie, but they're making a movie of it, and Disney's animated Peter Pan is a very crude adaptation of it as well. I actually quite enjoyed it. Peter Pan himself is a somewhat dark and tragic figure, and the book ends with everyone but him rapidly aging or outright dying of old age while he continues on with his adventures, forever refusing to return but very momentarily from his childish fantasies. He's quite awful and really more some kind of antihero by many measures, yet I found myself empathizing with his intransigence towards growing up nevertheless. But that makes sense - even when I was still a child, I never wanted to grow up, and that certainly still holds today. Life as an adult is a complicated and uncertain cosmic nightmare full of perpetually growing anxiety and suffering, what's there to like about it? I'd go back to the simple perspective of a child in a heartbeat, even if it meant being forever trapped in silly dreams as well...though I hope I wouldn't grow to be nearly so callous as Peter Pan.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Just a shame that you can never trust any of those reviews. :p

Watched Doctor Sleep. Good movie. A lot better than I expected it to be.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Luther: Fallen Sun (2023) - A feature length police procedural with Gollum as a serial killer using internet magic. Ok if you're into that sort of thing and/or liked the series.

Citizen Kane (1941) - It has been a long time and the talk about it here me want to see it again. It's definitely dated, from the way women are portrayed to the way the sets look, but the archetype of Kane seems to reoccur both irl and in fiction enough that it feels relevant enough, even if we ignore the massive impact it has had on cinema as an art form. I wish more current films were made in black and white, there was something disturbing about the way the darkness framed faces that I would like to see in more films but seems to get lost in color.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

cameo and hard light pioneered in kane is not just a black and white thing.

hardly an isolated example.

edit: the first godfather film is homage to kane in terms o' lighting techniques. is worth watching godfather and kane together... at least for film nerds. 

literal first scene of godfather

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

1 hour ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

Luther: Fallen Sun (2023) - A feature length police procedural with Gollum as a serial killer using internet magic. Ok if you're into that sort of thing and/or liked the series.

I tried to get in to the series a couple of days ago, but I am so fed up with the detective formula that I could not get past the first episode.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

1 hour ago, Gromnir said:

cameo and hard light pioneered in kane is not just a black and white thing.

hardly an isolated example.

edit: the first godfather film is homage to kane in terms o' lighting techniques. is worth watching godfather and kane together... at least for film nerds. 

literal first scene of godfather

HA! Good Fun!

It's not only in b&w and those are phenomenal scenes, but I'm thinking more of how the lack of color makes it feel like.... seeing shadows projected on a wall is the best I can describe it as.

silhouette.jpg?resize=2880,1800

There's something eerie about the above that I don't find Apocalypse Now doing quite the same, partly because the faces in Citizen Kane aren't lit and partly because the different perspective. Marlon Brando in Apocalypse Now evokes a more personal feeling from me because of the perspective makes you feel in the middle of his conversation with Martin Sheen. Comparatively I feel more removed from the reporters, more voyeuristic and outside of their world.

It has been far too long since I've seen The Godfather.

43 minutes ago, Sarex said:

I tried to get in to the series a couple of days ago, but I am so fed up with the detective formula that I could not get past the first episode.

I think I watched the first season, maybe two? It's been a while and my memory is bad. The person I watched it with was a bigger fan than I was and enjoyed it.

Recently I enjoyed Three Pines, which is a detective series, but the feel is much different than how I remember Luther.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Watched the Luther movie as well. It was OK, rather contrived but probably better than anything from the series itself post S2. Which isn't saying that much, to be fair.

Did kind of laugh at the ending ending though.

Spoiler

While Idris Elba may never be the first British African American (sic) James Bond John Luther --> off brand 007 anyway. Sensible given the amount of silly action sequences in Fallen Sun that would be far more at home in Bond.

Curse of the Wolf (2006) - One of Len Kabasinski's earliest movies. This is the tale of Dakota, a werewolf who has figured out a way to keep her werewolfism in control via veterinary medication. She desires to lead a normal life but other werewolves, her pack-mates, I guess, won't leave her be. There are bar fights, shootouts, plenty of boobs, the works. Len hadn't come to rely on terrible digital effects much at this point, so there are less than a handful of them and no green screen AFAIK. 75% of the time he does a good job of using darkness and/or smoke/fog to obscure the costumes, however there are close up shots of the masks in clear lighting where it's hilariously obvious that they are rubber. The story is as threadbare as threadbare gets, only serving the purpose of giving an excuse for fight scenes. The acting is atrocious, as expected. On the plus side, the title theme is every bit as great as RLM purported it to be. In fact, there's a ton of music in this movie, mostly heavy metal, but there are some other tracks as well. The quality of the music is... uneven. Also, the sound quality, while nowhere near as bad as in some of his other movies, left something to be desired. While you could always hear the dialogue and the sound levels were more or less consistent, there were a number of scenes with significant background noise that would have greatly benefited from ADR.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Cool Hand Luke (1967). What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Spoiler

Well, I wouldn't have expected to care one iota for a manly prison drama film (that turned out to be a lot more thoughtful, loving, and emotional than it first appeared), but sometimes that 100% on RT and acclaim as one of the greatest films of all time is actually worth something. Very enjoyable.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

I did not watch the Oscars, but I guess Everywhere...All At Once won Best Picture and Michelle Yeoh won Best Actress. Good for her, happier about her win then the Best Picture thing.

Naatu Naatu won Best Song which also pleases me, although the Academy's dance rendition of the piece was "meh."

The Oscar's ratings went up a bit this time ... it was the 3rd worst in its history instead of 2nd worst.  :shifty:

• Gasp! 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Ewa Wants to Sleep (1958). Girl arrives in new town one day before her school opens and wanders about trying to find somewhere that will take her in for the night, causing a very strange chain reaction of mistaken identities between citizens, criminals, and policemen to ensue.

1oy6br.jpg

It's a 1958 Polish comedy that I selected purely on the basis of the poster. Polish comedies sure are...different. Eh, it could've turned out a lot worse.

Edited by Bartimaeus

Yeah, I have a fondness for Polish posters. They go pretty hard with very creative concept pieces.

Edited by Bartimaeus

12 minutes ago, majestic said:

I'm pretty sure polish posters were a topic before. :p

Almost certainly it was, and there's a 99% chance I participated in said topic. I don't care, any chance I get to rep some cool, old, hand painted posters I will. Everything today is all digitally slapped together, and some of the posters are kinda cool, but they just don't have that hand drawn magic of old movie posters.

70s-sci-fi-film-posters-7.jpg

westworld-1525888843.jpg?crop=1xw:1xh;ce

barbarella-1968-003-poster-00m-y8y-1000x

Side-note: I should watch Westworld (1973) again.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I don't need it to be hand-painted (particularly given how samey ye posters of olde were anyways, as imitators would imitate imitators), but the fact that digital art can be made so much easier and with fewer limitations makes it all the more bewildering that the vast majority of movie posters are simply lazy publicity photos of the stars slapped together with nary thought or feeling put towards its creation. It's the style of poster Hollywood currently desires for its movies, but hopefully it'll someday soon fall in favor of more creative endeavours.

The%20Panic%20in%20Needle%20Park%20(Pola

Cudzoziemka%20(Poland%20-%20B1).jpg

bahia-md-web.jpg

decalogue-3-md-web.jpg

alien-md-web.jpg

The only problem with a great/fun high concept poster is that often times, the movies to whom they belong to will markedly fall short of the expectations set by the poster... That last one here is Alien, of all things - not exactly a perfect stylistic fit if you ask me, :p.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 3

Oh, I love Alien, it's one of my favorite movies of all time, but seeing that poster...well, the film wouldn't be exactly how I'd expect it looking at that, to say the least, :p. Still, a fun piece. Crazy concept pieces like those pictured above have a way of making me...you know, actually excited to try out a film, which is certainly a novel idea.

Edited by Bartimaeus

At least we seem to be mostly past the phase where every movie poster was at a Dutch angle for no ****ing reason whatsoever.

priest-poster-hollywood-movie-2011-3d+%2

3pPZ9JhNz3VMmASVir5SMHvTDUU.jpg

armored_poster.jpg

:x

Edited by Keyrock
  • Haha 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Return to Neverland (2002). 3D animation was a mistake. I mean, this is mostly fine enough 2D animation (although a bit blunt in its detail and shading a lot of the time like most digital animation of the early 2000s), but the parts that look bad look really bad. Ya ain't never seen bad 3D animation 'til you've seen a giant 3D pirate ship flying alongside 3D WW2 bombers in front of a 3D Big Ben in all its ugliness and floatiness. Anyways, interesting film. Well, it'd be even more interesting if it hadn't been so...Disney-fied, but I suppose the only reason it can exist in the first place is because Hook wasn't killed and the Lost Boys didn't disband at the end of the original film like was supposed to happen as per the book (and never mind all the other framing differences, like Peter Pan coming across as a brave and mostly considerate boy hero in these movies, as opposed to a bit of a narcissistic dunderhead like in the book). Nevertheless, there's something thematically powerful in the idea of taking a war-traumatized kid like Jane...

Peter%20Pan%20II,%20Return%20to%20Neverl

...whose childhood, sense of imagination, and love for life has been thoroughly crushed, and then dropping her into the silly and carefree Neverland. Interestingly, Peter and the other Lost Boys are disgusted by Jane - they know an adult when they see one, as it were. And a point is made of the fact that no how much pixie dust they try to drown her in, she cannot fly. This all would've probably been put to a lot better use if it had been explored in a book...by the original author, as opposed to Disney, who instead made a mostly silly movie with only hints of something more thoughtful out of it (and who made arguably even worse books for the series after that). However, from what I understand, it may be a little difficult for the original author to write that book even if he was interested in the idea, seeing as he's been dead for...oh, I suppose a little more than eighty years now. Ah, well, I suppose that's the way it goes. Still, not as bad as the reviews had me expecting.

Edited by Bartimaeus

The Matrix: Resurrections (2021)

Somehow, Neo and Trinity have returned.

The movie goes hard in parodying the idea of milking a franchise for all it's worth, which is probably the best part of it. It's certainly not game changing like the original Matrix and it's not as odious as some other sci-fi reboots, it's mediocre. Hopefully this is the end of the Matrix.

• Like 1