Cinema and Movie Thread: flickering images

Chairchucker

My friend claims that Kevin is great in Mr Brooks, a movie I haven't seen and probably won't.

I hear he's also great in Yellowstone.

I had a look at his filmography and I don't think there's any movies in there I feel heaps strongly about, but I liked the baseball ones but that's probs mostly because I like baseball. I didn't hate Waterworld the way many seemed to, though.

Edited by Chairchucker

Crank (2006) - Jason Statham is a hitman, he got injected with a poison and the only way to slow the poison down is to keep adrenaline pumping. Completely over the top wonderful action schlock. This movie is so cartoonishly ridiculous that it goes from great to going too far but then keeps going and comes all the way back around to being awesome. It's 86 minutes of madness and it's fantastic.

• Like 5

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

1 hour ago, Keyrock said:

Crank (2006) - Jason Statham is a hitman, he got injected with a poison and the only way to slow the poison down is to keep adrenaline pumping. Completely over the top wonderful action schlock. This movie is so cartoonishly ridiculous that it goes from great to going too far but then keeps going and comes all the way back around to being awesome. It's 86 minutes of madness and it's fantastic.

I believe that was peak Statham.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Hurlshort said:

I believe that was peak Statham.

I'm inclined to agree with you. I consider the best movie Statham had a major role in to be Snatch, but that movie was great because of a big cast of colorful characters, whereas he is absolutely the driving force of Crank. I'm watching the sequel next.:dancing:

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Sort of disappointed it's not set in the game, showing the trials of a person whose accomplishments vanish in a second.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Crank 2: High Voltage (2009) - This follows the standard sequel formula to a tee, make essentially the same movie as the first just make it bigger. If you liked Crank, and why wouldn't you, then you'll almost certainly like Crank 2. This movie is even more over the top and ridiculous than the first. It's basically live action Wile E Coyote. I might actually like this better than the first. It's just a really fun ridiculous action schlock romp with slick cinematography and that distinct late 90s to late 00s style. To think of it, Crank 2 is one of the best examples of the late 90s to late 00s style, the only movie I can think of that exemplifies that style better is Run Lola Run

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Oxy-morons (2010) - some based on a true story flick about a small time crime family imploding. Not particularly memorable.

Beast (2022) - Idris Elba fights a cgi lion and bonds with his daughters.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Throne of Blood (1957) - Macbeth in feudal Japan. It's glorious, between the extensive use of fog and black and white photography it felt very dreamlike.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Saw some oddball movie that was surprisingly entertaining. Spontaneous (I think from 2020). Part teenage romance, part comedy, lots of exploding teenagers 😁

• Haha 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

11 minutes ago, kirottu said:

"If you have a problem with me, you talk to my boss" 😂

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

4 hours ago, Gorth said:

"If you have a problem with me, you talk to my boss" 😂

can't help but recall a line from the tv show wonderfalls. wound up penguin is the episode title.

priest: i don't know what you're after here, but i don't do exorcisms. they're violent and dangerous and... stupid.

almost twenty years since it aired? sheesh. am pretty sure we memorized the line correct, but it has been almost two decades and our elephantine memory is limited to visual as 'posed to auditory.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The Iceman Cometh (1989) - An utterly bizarre mashup of Hong Kong cinema. This movie starts out like a kung fu movie from a decade earlier taking place during the last days of the Ming Dynasty. The main protagonist and antagonist are brothers in the royal guard with the older brother being a psychopathic rapist and murderer. They fight and seemingly both die then both somehow wind up in "modern" (1989) times. Then we get a wacky fish out of water tale as our protagonist Zheng is taken advantage of by a prostitute. His evil older brother Feng San has acclimated to modern times faster than him and is still his murderous and raping self. Stuff only gets crazier from there.

This movie wound up being a lot more comedy and less martial arts than I anticipated, and I think it's for the best. There's still a decent bit of kung fu action, especially at the beginning and end, but a lot of the movie is carried by strong comedic performances from Polly, the prostitute, and Feng San, the antagonist. For his part, Zheng , the protagonist plays a great fish out of water, then the straight man once he figures out how things work in modern times. That said, the prostitute Polly and evil older brother Feng San really drive this rather fun wacky action comedy. The ending makes no sense but given how weird the movie is overall, who cares.

Side note: Top quality work from the fine folks at Vinegar Syndrome, as usual, on this beautiful 2K blu-ray.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

On 2/18/2023 at 9:50 PM, Keyrock said:

Crank 2: High Voltage (2009) - This follows the standard sequel formula to a tee, make essentially the same movie as the first just make it bigger. If you liked Crank, and why wouldn't you, then you'll almost certainly like Crank 2. This movie is even more over the top and ridiculous than the first. It's basically live action Wile E Coyote. I might actually like this better than the first. It's just a really fun ridiculous action schlock romp with slick cinematography and that distinct late 90s to late 00s style. To think of it, Crank 2 is one of the best examples of the late 90s to late 00s style, the only movie I can think of that exemplifies that style better is Run Lola Run

Have you seen Shoot 'em up?

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

8 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

No.

It's got Monica Bellucci in it.

The rest is in the title.

Clive Owens and Paul Giamatti are also in there if Monica isn't convincing enough. :p

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Babylon (2022). It's made by the same director as the J.K. Simmons-starring Whiplash.

z0gb73.jpg

It is nominally a film about Hollywood in the 20s-30s and a fictionalized account of three characters at different stages of their life during the shift from the silents to the talkies. It's an incredibly self-indulgent celebration of the glory of Hollywood in pretty much all the ways I was hoping it wouldn't be while paying some only marginally effective criticism to how the industry chews up and spits people out at the same time. It's not the worst thing I've ever seen by any means, but it was a little difficult for me to believe that the director of Whiplash made this. I don't think I really care for Margot Robbie, though I'm still probably going to watch her I, Tonya at some point, and if I don't like her in that, that'll probably be it.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

7 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

It's an incredibly self-indulgent celebration of the glory of Hollywood 

That sounds like prime Oscar-bait. There's nothing Hollywood loves more than fellating each other about how wonderful Hollywood is.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

1 hour ago, Keyrock said:

That sounds like prime Oscar-bait. There's nothing Hollywood loves more than fellating each other about how wonderful Hollywood is.

mulhollandbox.png

8 hours ago, Keyrock said:

Interestingly...

It was a box-office bomb, grossing under $62 million against a production budget of $78–80 million.[6] The film received five nominations at the 80th Golden Globe Awards (including Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy, winning Best Original Score), nine nominations at the 28th Critics' Choice Awards (including Best Picture), three nominations at the 76th British Academy Film Awards, and three nominations at the 95th Academy Awards.

Tough to win awards when you bomb, but I guess you can still earn a lot of nominations. This was pretty much the opposite of the type of story I would've liked to have seen during this time period, so it was a pretty tough scene for me.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.