Should a 2D Concept Artist Learn 3D Softwares to Proficiency?

RaniiDaki

Hi I am an aspiring Concept Artist who is currently a Student at an Art School. I was wondering if anybody had any tips to boost a concept art portfolio or Resume? I am currently learning Blender for my environments. 

Is it seen as beneficial for 2d concept artists to also learn 3d softwares to help with their concept but in general to also be proficient at it for Resume and getting hired. If so, is being proficient in Blender good or should you as a concept artist know another programmes?

I believe the industry today asks so much of artists and I only want what is best for my portfolio and Resume, would love to hear from people! Thanks!

In a word... Yes. 🤔
Normap_Map_zpsd3ed272e.gif
Knowing how to create concept work in a 3d package (even minimally) will allow you the benefits of the tools it offers, used both directly and indirectly in your designs. Just the simulated lighting alone is valuable. Blender's compositor is very powerful, and I use it quite often for rendering 2d composite images from 2d images on planes. 

Having the capability to work in 3D should speed up some designs, and make others simply—possible.

Clip Studio has the ability to import (and actually use) 3D model data, and comes with 3D model maquettes for composing illustrations. I often import my work from Blender.

Spoiler

Blender Model
scorp40.pngRig.jpg

From Blender into Clip Studio:

Scorptron.gif

Edited by Gizmo
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Gizmo said:

In a word... Yes. 🤔
Normap_Map_zpsd3ed272e.gif
Knowing how to create concept work in a 3d package (even minimally) will allow you the benefits of the tools it offers, used both directly and indirectly in your designs. Just the simulated lighting alone is valuable. Blender's compositor is very powerful, and I use it quite often for rendering 2d composite images from 2d images on planes. 

Having the capability to work in 3D should speed up some designs, and make others simply—possible.

Clip Studio has the ability to import (and actually use) 3D model data, and comes with 3D model maquettes for composing illustrations. I often import my work from Blender.

Hide contents

Blender Model
scorp40.pngRig.jpg

From Blender into Clip Studio:
Scorptron.gif.a15dcf7e698b86b6040b8e9692f908e6.gif

This is really helpful! Thank yous so much! and If I may ask what is your Social media account/website so I may view your work? I am very interested in your knowledge on the subject!

Don't have any. shrug.gif 
It shocks people sometimes, but I've never needed, wanted, nor had any desire to maintain, check, or constantly update one. None.
I can say the same for having an online gallery page. I run a webhost, but I've no personal pages of my own.

Blender modeling examples: (But with placeholder textures)
https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1702

Spoiler

This is a mod for Fallout 3, from before New Vegas released.

Spoiler

Same mod, later version for New Vegas:

Spoiler

I made this soon after InXile released a development screenshot of Bard's Tale 4:

encounter_loop_small.png

BT4_Mockup.gifYou could call this a concept mock-up.

*This is their screenshot:

Spoiler

original.jpg

You might also very much like Rebelle:
https://www.escapemotions.com/blog/rebelle-6-released-packed-full-of-awesome-new-features  

Edited by Gizmo