Obituary thread

Gfted1

16 hours ago, ShadySands said:

My grandma and Richard Belzer. Not saying they're related but I'm not ruling anything out either.

Condolences on your loss.

2 hours ago, Raithe said:

A big favorite of mine. Love the 999 stuff, but liked most of his work that I've encountered.

• Thanks 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, Amentep said:

That guy was a monster!

Literally 😁

Rest in Peace

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Just Fontaine

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Georgina Beyer, the world's first openly transsexual MP. Prior to that was mayor of a pretty conservative rural town.

Instrumental while in parliament to establishing civil unions and getting our prostitution laws out of the stone age- a law that was expected to fail by a decent margin. Gave a fantastic speech that changed a lot of people's minds and was good enough to get an abstention out of the only muslim MP (it passed by one vote, via that abstention). 

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

Gordon E. Moore

You might say...

Moore's Law is dead.

I'll show myself out.:blush:

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

59 minutes ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

Why'd they let him off so easy?

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

16 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Why'd they let him off so easy?

Lately The Onion is doing a lot of headline and picture only articles.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

5 hours ago, xzar_monty said:

Ryūichi Sakamoto.

Popular music doesn't get much better than Forbidden Colours, his collaboration with David Sylvian.

Not terribly familiar with his work...except that he was the main composer of 1987 film The Wings of Honneamise, whose oddball synth soundtrack I am fond of. Song you linked was great minus me predictably hating the vocals, whom I presume is this David Sylvian.

5 hours ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

Lately The Onion is doing a lot of headline and picture only articles.

I meant why did they execute him - obviously, that's way too kind, :shrugz:.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Gasp! 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

18 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I meant why did they execute him - obviously, that's way too kind, :shrugz:.

For reasons I can't say without getting a visit from the feds.

2 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Not terribly familiar with his work...except that he was the main composer of 1987 film The Wings of Honneamise, whose oddball synth soundtrack I am fond of. Song you linked was great minus me predictably hating the vocals, whom I presume is this David Sylvian.

curious, we mentioned another film score by sakamoto not long ago

hesitate to mention, but thomas dolby and sakamoto were collaborators, which always had us wondering...

ff to 2:53 if you don't feel the need to indulge almost four minutes o' quintessential 80's pop.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

25 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

curious, we mentioned another film score by sakamoto not long ago

Confession: I did not listen to this when you posted it. Probably because I was not at all familiar with the film and had no idea what the heck you were talking about when you posted it, particularly seeing as that I am a Bowie-less person. This is so much better without the vocals, I am sorry that I didn't.

Generally speaking, I usually remember the names of most musicians/artists when they're actually in my music library.

explorer_21ejSsVJZ2.png

When you're the one that manually puts in all the metadata for your own music library, you tend to remember the names better. I cannot guarantee that I'll remember anyone who is not in my music library, :p.

25 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

ff to 2:53 if you don't feel the need to indulge almost four minutes o' quintessential 80's pop.

It's well before my time, but at least "quintessential 80s pop" doesn't make me want to die like the 2000s, 2010s, and 2020s did/do.

Edited by Bartimaeus

...Bob Miller, better known as Bushwhacker Butch...😢

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

• 2 weeks later...