Random video game news... RNG says "Nope"

Azdeus

5 hours ago, Hurlshort said:

I never understood the appeal in the first place. I didn't read the books or watch the movies and think, "Man, I really want to be this gross creature that lives under a mountain."

It is much more interesting to me than running as an Aragorn-knockoff and slaughtering orcs in Shadow games. Gollum is an interesting character with a unique skill. With a strong vision and direction it could make for an interesting, narrative experience. Not an easy sell, even if pulled well, that’s for sure. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Wormerine said:

It is much more interesting to me than running as an Aragorn-knockoff and slaughtering orcs in Shadow games. Gollum is an interesting character with a unique skill. With a strong vision and direction it could make for an interesting, narrative experience. Not an easy sell, even if pulled well, that’s for sure. 

If I'm not mistaken, there was a stealth game about a goblin assassin in an orc fortress? I've seen it several times on Steam front page, but haven't played. Probably, not quite like Gollum in terms of story, though.

Also, a Stardew Valley-like game in the Shire or a competitive fighting game about the Mordor orcs would be curious to see. I think, there were several action-adventure and RTS games in the setting and an MMO RPG.

Edited by Hawke64

10 hours ago, Wormerine said:

I agree, I think Gollum is a way more interesting character than any member of the fellowship. If done right, a Gollum game could be a great stealth game.

@Hawke64I believe you're thinking of Styx.

• Thanks 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

7 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

I agree, I think Gollum is a way more interesting character than any member of the fellowship. If done right, a Gollum game could be a great stealth game.

@Hawke64I believe you're thinking of Styx.

Thank you, yes. I've looked it up, and there are 2 games (and a turn-based tactical prequel) with Very Positive ratings on Steam.

3 hours ago, Hawke64 said:

If I'm not mistaken, there was a stealth game about a goblin assassin in an orc fortress? I've seen it several times on Steam front page, but haven't played. Probably, not quite like Gollum in terms of story, though.

Styx, yes. Those are honestly one of the better stealthem-ups I played in many years, but they have their shortcomings. They are still a powerfantasy, and that's something a Gollum game should avoid I think. Probably the closest comparison to what I would want a Gollum game to be would be Hellblade - not in terms of individual systems but overall concept. A narratively driven adventure focusing on mind state of the protagonist, with gameplay elements serving as narrative medium, rather than entertaining game systems in themselves.

• Like 1

Homeworld3 has been delayed to February 2024. Good, that gives me a bit of time to finally finish Deserts of Kharak, and do a full playthrough of Homeworld 1&2. For a games I have enjoyed a lot so far, I can't seem to get things rolling.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/homeworld-3-has-been-delayed-to-february-2024

Eilte Dangerous folks are making a Warhammer RTS:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/elite-dangerous-devs-are-making-new-warhammer-rts-age-of-sigmar-realms-of-ruin

• Sad 1

pff age of sigmar - who cares

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

1 hour ago, Wormerine said:

Homeworld3 has been delayed to February 2024. Good, that gives me a bit of time to finally finish Deserts of Kharak, and do a full playthrough of Homeworld 1&2. For a games I have enjoyed a lot so far, I can't seem to get things rolling.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/homeworld-3-has-been-delayed-to-february-2024

Eilte Dangerous folks are making a Warhammer RTS:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/elite-dangerous-devs-are-making-new-warhammer-rts-age-of-sigmar-realms-of-ruin

Noooooooo

it was the biggest hopefull on my STEAM wishlist. 

• Sad 1

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

https://www.gamewatcher.com/news/daedalic-entertainment-has-another-lord-of-the-rings-game-in-development

Personally, I thought a game about Gollum was a lousy idea. He's not relatable, likable, there's no story potential unless you want to retell the LotR story, he's got no skill set that would make for variance in a game.

Haven't played any LotR game either, so can't compare. :p

Watched some gameplay of the Gollum game and... was baffled how bad it looks. Not even talking about the graphics.. the actual gameplay looks really bland and basic. There's so many stealth games they could have stolen ideas from, but instead they did... this. Unbelievable. Makes me wonder if this is the first game made by the development team.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Why PS5? Just buy on PC instead. 😄 (it's not PS5 exclusive) I'm really interested in this, since MGS3 is awesome. But I'm scared of what they will do with it without Kojima around.

/Edit: Also I can't unsee that angry bandana.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

17 minutes ago, Lexx said:

Why PS5? Just buy on PC instead. 😄 (it's not PS5 exclusive) I'm really interested in this, since MGS3 is awesome. But I'm scared of what they will do with it without Kojima around.

/Edit: Also I can't unsee that angry bandana.

I could swear I read somewhere it was PS5 exclusive. Well, good to know.

sign.jpg

1 hour ago, InsaneCommander said:

This almost makes me want a PS5. It was one of my favorite games when it was released.

I heard it’s good so I would be all up for good port/remake. 

However, it is Konami, and as far as I know we don’t even know who is working on that exactly, aside from some internal people. I won’t get my hopes up. 

17 hours ago, Lexx said:

Why PS5? Just buy on PC instead. 😄 (it's not PS5 exclusive)

Given the quality of PC ports lately, just get it on PC is dubious advice, unfortunately.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I've only heard of two duds from "lately". No idea what engine this is going to run on, but MGS5 and such were running great on PC.

This looks like my jam:

It's currently in early access. Once fully released, I may scoop this up.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Welcome to my death machine, interloper.

I'm glad to hear that the remake is really faithful to the original. The last thing I wanted was for Nightdive to streamline  Citadel Station and make it easier to traverse. I'm glad they kept it labyrinthine.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Ah, Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart got steam page and releases in 8 weeks. Did I miss the announcement?

Cool. I wonder how well will PCs handle the rift gimmick. It seems like a feature tailor made for PS5 uber SSD system.

• Like 1

D4 getting good reviews, it seems.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Hey @BruceVC if you would like to support SA developer, the new STASIS game has been released today 😛

https://www.gog.com/en/news/release_stasis_bone_totem_with_a_special_offer

• Like 2

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Watch out guyz tho Playstation ports to PC are now uncertain at best, and you need 16 GB of video memory in games that should run very comfortably with 8 GB video memory.  I mean yeah it's better than a few years ago where Sony ports were largely off limits, but it's still rocky territory.

Another thing.  There is something very wrong with Bethesda.  I joined the official 'Starfield' Discord server to discuss the game and the moderators literally deleted all of my comments because I was inquiring about the Microsoft acquisition and the actual mechanics of the game and how everything ties together.  Something struck me as very "Cult-like" about the whole thing, where critical thinking and discussion is verboten in regards to the Dear Game and Dear Company that makes it.  Cults are bad kids, mmmkay?