Random video game news... RNG says "Nope"

Azdeus

https://www.techpowerup.com/305609/gsc-game-world-to-show-s-t-a-l-k-e-r-2-at-gdc-2023#comments

S.T.A.L.K.E.R  2 is going to be released and its looks excellent, S.T.A.L.K.E.R 1 was overall my best post-apocalyptic game ever. Even better than METRO by a little bit

So I will definitely be getting this :thumbsup:

• Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

4 hours ago, BruceVC said:

https://www.techpowerup.com/305609/gsc-game-world-to-show-s-t-a-l-k-e-r-2-at-gdc-2023#comments

S.T.A.L.K.E.R  2 is going to be released and its looks excellent, S.T.A.L.K.E.R 1 was overall my best post-apocalyptic game ever. Even better than METRO by a little bit

Really excited, and really anxious about this one at the same time...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Wormerine said:

Starfield got release date: September 6th, 2023

On June 11th there will be "Starfield Direct" showcasing the game in detail, so we will learn what it is, and if there is anything worth looking forward to.

16 times the detail!

Jokes aside, I really hope this turns well. I have been giving Bethesda a lot of **** for well over a decade, but I would really love to see them make another game on the level of Morrowind.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

48 minutes ago, Raithe said:

I don't quite see what point he is trying to make - it seems more like a wishful thinking. Witcher3 was a massive success. If another cinematic RPG comes a long of the similar quality, wouldn't it be a massive success as well? Andromeda and Cyberpunk mistake, from what I understand, was that instead of being a "bioware-style" RPG they dreamed much bigger and didn't manage to reach that. He also mentions Baldur's Gate3 ignoring the fact it is a cinematic BioWare-style RPG. We will see how it will turn out, as it tries to marry Larian's systemic sandbox with a crap ton of cutscenes - might very well fall into Andromeda/Cyberpunk trap of trying to do too many things at the same time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raithe said:

Thank you for sharing the article.
I strongly detest TW3 and agree that cut-scenes and VA are a resource sink, but it does not mean that the cut-scene-heavy RPGs and action-adventures with light RPG elements (such an inventory system) are going anywhere. I just would prefer to stop calling TW3 and, for example, Assassin's Creed, RPGs. They are not, otherwise Half-Life is and we are role-playing Gordon Freeman.
Also, Larian's D&D game has a lot of cut-scenes, and the MC auto-comments OOC and without the player's input, so it is quite "cinematic". Fortunately, as far as I can tell, there is enough freedom to roleplay and develop the player's character.

• Like 2

and

so a harebrained shadowrun style (not shadowrun rules 'course) game but in an indiana jones setting as inspired by the incredibles aesthetic?

am cautious optimistic.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 4

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

6 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

and

so a harebrained shadowrun style (not shadowrun rules 'course) game but in an indiana jones setting as inspired by the incredibles aesthetic?

am cautious optimistic.

HA! Good Fun!

Not a huge fan of the art style (mainly the characters, the environments look fine), but otherwise I'm pretty excited for this. Battletech was kinda meh, but the Shadowrun games were terrific, hence I have faith in HBS.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

8 hours ago, BruceVC said:

I remember playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl when it came out (although it was about 20 years after the disaster, it was somehow still "fresh in the memory")

Loved the game. Was a bit on the hard side I remember. Used a cheat mod to beat the game eventually (immune to radiation and enemy bullets), getting a bit frustrated and impatient towards the end. Just wanted to see at least one of the endings :blush:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

57 minutes ago, Wormerine said:

I don't quite see what point he is trying to make..

That describes about 90% of games journalism opinion pieces about as succinctly as it's possible to do. I don't think I've ever seen a sub profession as consistently unable to articulate their thoughts well- or alternatively, not having any meaningful thoughts to impart.

In this case it's... pretty well written. His central premise though as expressed in the article title is certainly not supported by the evidence as presented, and is outright sensationalist in nature.

(OTOH, discussion successfully generated and views successfully got, and ultimately that makes for a successful article)

Andromeda and Cyberpunk mistake, from what I understand, was that instead of being a "bioware-style" RPG they dreamed much bigger and didn't manage to reach that.

Andromeda at least had a heap of organisational issues due to poor oversight and leadership of a new studio trying to make a massive game on an engine that wasn't designed for what they were doing*. And whatever people say of C2077 it was a massive financial success, just not as massive as a bubble market- literally literally valuing CDPR more than Ubisoft on ludicrous projected sales of one game ffs- expected. Plus as was mentioned in the article it was saddled with some really dumb management decisions too, like support for previous gen consoles.

*either ordered to or strongly suggested that they use it by EA management, too.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Zoraptor said:

Andromeda at least had a heap of organisational issues due to poor oversight and leadership of a new studio trying to make a massive game on an engine that wasn't designed for what they were doing*.

Sounds similar to a certain Bioware SW MMO... except it was Bioware executives making the call as they hadn't been acquired by EA at the time.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

8 hours ago, Wormerine said:

Starfield got release date: September 6th, 2023

On June 11th there will be "Starfield Direct" showcasing the game in detail, so we will learn what it is, and if there is anything worth looking forward to.

I  predict this is going to be a great game. And Wormie you know the " BruceVC game prediction radar" is never wrong, they have done extensive analysis on the Internet and its been unequivocally confirmed its always accurate

But remember its best to wait 6-8 months before playing Starfield, just to  get the initial updates and fixes out and for the first mods to be released :thumbsup:

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

12 hours ago, Hurlshort said:

Cyberpunk is great and apparently has continued to sell well. It was just buggy when it came out. 

Wasn't even that bad compared to games that keep getting passes, like anything and everything Bethesda Game Studios puts out.

Imho the main issue was that they released it on previous gen consoles, once that became clear the meme-train just left station and kept on choo-choo-ing.

10 hours ago, Gorth said:

I remember playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl when it came out (although it was about 20 years after the disaster, it was somehow still "fresh in the memory")

Loved the game. Was a bit on the hard side I remember. Used a cheat mod to beat the game eventually (immune to radiation and enemy bullets), getting a bit frustrated and impatient towards the end. Just wanted to see at least one of the endings :blush:

For radiation, a combination of the correct artifacts combined with good gear is how I remember dealing with that.
The last few areas were really rough I recall, with enemies with rocket launchers and snipers galore. Comparatively the NPP wasn't that bad, heh.

All in all SoC (S.T.A.L.K.E.R. in general, really) was pretty (euro)yank.

For one, it was kinda unfinished, most annoying example was that your gear would wear out, but there was no way to repair it...meaning you'd have to save up the best gear for the hardest locations, and often lug around multiple sets of things so you could toss the broken ones (only to find out the AI is actually smart enough to recognize that your almost-broken armour was better than their stuff so they started wearing it, making your life more difficult 🤣)

The second issue was the difficulty slider. The game actually gets easier on harder difficulties as it increases damage to both the player as well as the enemy pretty much equally, so clearing out locations stealthily becomes a lot more viable all of a sudden as you can now one-hit enemies much earlier in the game (but conversely, if you get caught out, yer toast)...

And then there was the little issue that you only get access to the real fun toys once past the point of no return. But that's, iirc, an issue all three games suffer to an extent.

Aaaand, now I want to start another SoC playthrough, with a repair mod ;)

Last time I tried I used an addon that should have fixed some of the major issues (like repair), but retaining the original game's balance, while upgrading the graphics, but it also stealthily nerfed early parts of the game (which I explicitly did not want, eg. the first group of bandits didn't have shotguns any more, making that mission so much easier than it used to be it wasn't even fun)

• Like 6

20 hours ago, Raithe said:

I played Witcher 3 and BG3, but my experience with many RPG is limited, cause I always dip my toes and don't play single game for too long

What cinematic Bioware-style RPG is and how would that be different from game where you got cinematic or voice acting. Because Genshin Impact has high quality voice acting and cutscenes. It's just animated. They improved their game 1 year ago, too.

So I had no idea The Last of US is finally coming to PC soon. This makes me debate with myself whether I want to buy it, when I already know the story (YT videos and watching someone play it, but a long time ago), plus it's not typically the gameplay style/genre I'd play.

...still, especially after watching the TV series, I sorta wonder what it would be like to play it vs. watch it.
...I'm sure they're counting on the TV series to boost sales. >.>

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

1 hour ago, LadyCrimson said:

So I had no idea The Last of US is finally coming to PC soon. This makes me debate with myself whether I want to buy it, when I already know the story (YT videos and watching someone play it,

I am in the same boat - I watched Uncharted4 and Last of Us playthroughs when they released. I will be probably hunting for a deep sale somewhere down the line. I wasn’t under an impression that I am missing anything by not playing those games.