Random video game news... RNG says "Nope"

Azdeus

16 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

I know that I and the few people that I know who were interested in Midnight Suns lost all interest when it was revealed that it uses a card-based battle system. I don't know if it was as offputting for everyone else but I'd imagine that it probably cost them more than a few sales.

I feel guilty for not picking it up, but the Marvel angle just held nothing for me. I usually try and pick up these good turn based games ASAP. I even bought Chaos Gate at full price, and I knew I'd struggle with the setting in that one. 

It is getting great reviews, for the most part, but I also have to be somewhat careful with my gaming budget.

1 hour ago, Hurlshort said:

I feel guilty for not picking it up, but the Marvel angle just held nothing for me. I usually try and pick up these good turn based games ASAP. I even bought Chaos Gate at full price, and I knew I'd struggle with the setting in that one. 

It is getting great reviews, for the most part, but I also have to be somewhat careful with my gaming budget.

I read some of the reviews and the critics seemed to almost all love it but the player reviews were all over the place. In most of the mixed reviews I read, most players liked the combat, at least initially, but didn't like the rest of the game.

Free games updated 3/4/21

I didn't even know it used cards, just the superhero angle turned me off as soon as it was announced.

To an extent it felt like Firaxis becoming just yet another 2K studio since it didn't seem like something a studio making independent decisions would take on. Maybe I'm being too cynical or elitist but I can't imagine a weird superhero mash-up game being someone's - anyone's - passion project.

I didn't realise the 10 year anniversary of the XCOM revival quietly passed in the last half-year. I hope I'm not being too revisionist in saying it remains the last Firaxis game I unconditionally enjoyed. In that sense I suppose I wouldn't have been particularly gung-ho about their future prospects, especially if 2K is indeed putting their foot down to a greater degree, and if moving away from Firaxis means greater creative freedom then I'd very much like to see what his next project is.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

6 hours ago, Hurlshort said:

I'm more worried about the bombing of Midnight Suns affecting Xcom 3, but this does seem to be another cause for concern. 

MS has so little to do with XCOM formula that it really shouldn’t have an impact. 

5 hours ago, ShadySands said:

I know that I and the few people that I know who were interested in Midnight Suns lost all interest when it was revealed that it uses a card-based battle system.

That did give me pause, though Firaxis doing third-person “hand-out and-talk-to-heroes” was an even bigger red flag. 

Played couple hours - disturbingly little gameplay so far. Combat has potential, though it is difficult to say how it develops. It’s far more casual - and I mean in in terms of handholding and complete lack of tension, rather than complexity. There is cool stuff there - it’s a hybrid of card game but positioning and “board” does come into consideration, so it actually feels quite natural to play as a computer game. 

Surprisingly I don’t mind writing. It is stilted, and corny but so far it is not without charm. But there is too much of it, keeping me away from being able to actually play the game. 

In all it is decent - at least it’s quite one of a kind. I am not sure if I will be convinced to make a purchase once the free weekend is finished. One day, but probably not now. 

oh and it runs like ass - or rather it runs fine, until it briefly doesn’t. So far every mission summary happens at 2FPS per second. Texture loading, geometry popping in, sudden frame dips when skills are activated.

• Like 1

Still no firm release date beyond an estimated "a few months" but certainly by year's end:

Brings to mind a certain Calvin and Hobbes strip that would certainly have caught a ton of flak if released today

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 3
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1326470/Sons_Of_The_Forest/

I have some  exciting news, the Forest 2 has been released and its receiving some excellent feedback like the first one. Forest 1 was the best horror survival game I have ever played, so I will definitely be getting this one 

Here is a classic gameplay video and the type of thing I would accidently do :lol:

• Haha 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Outer Worlds (Obsidian alrigtish FPRPG, not the best game of all times Outer Wilds) is getting makeover next week. Apparently it won't be a free upgrade for those who own base game and both DLCs, so it is a bit of a bummer. It will be $60 and reduced price for existing owner - how reduced, I do not know.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

makeover? whats that? seriously obsidian, I am already accepting we are doing remasters of old games, but OW is not even what? 4 years old? WTH?

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

That looks like something I could do to Outer Worlds myself with Reshade, if I cared enough to play the game again (it's a good game but not memorable enough to warrant a replay).

I can't wait for the day when devs release a "remaster" a week after initial release. 

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Sounds like the edgelord in Hatred.

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

2 hours ago, Wormerine said:

Outer Worlds (Obsidian alrigtish FPRPG, not the best game of all times Outer Wilds) is getting makeover next week. Apparently it won't be a free upgrade for those who own base game and both DLCs, so it is a bit of a bummer. It will be $60 and reduced price for existing owner - how reduced, I do not know.

outer world graphic was decent with some stiff animation 

not sure why obsidian make a new edition

but the moon helmet with moving mouth is nice

1 hour ago, Chilloutman said:

makeover? whats that? seriously obsidian, I am already accepting we are doing remasters of old games, but OW is not even what? 4 years old? WTH?

It's a remaster for PS5 and XBOX X/S (and PC while they are at it)

Edited by Wormerine
  • Thanks 1

Barotrauma was a ton of fun just messing about for a few months when it first came out. It's hard to find a game with that same feel now. Just running around, accusing the workers of sabotaging until the real saboteur does something, then everyone struggles to be the last to die.

I can't fathom playing it seriously.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

am a fan o' previous harebrained games. we would not watch a paradox presentation, but if there is harebrained specific info presented, am gonna search after the fact. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

19 hours ago, Wormerine said:

I loved the game and I am happy to see that Obsidian are not going to worsen its performance or force me to download the content I cannot use. Considering that they did mess up the critical path in PoEII in one of the last updates, seeing that this is optional and, to be completely safe, paid is a relief.
Which also reminds me that I wanted to replay both of them (PoEII before the "Ultimate" update, of course).

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Tale said:

Barotrauma was a ton of fun just messing about for a few months when it first came out. It's hard to find a game with that same feel now. Just running around, accusing the workers of sabotaging until the real saboteur does something, then everyone struggles to be the last to die.

I can't fathom playing it seriously.

Never played it like that, always played it seriously, as co-op, no saboteurs.