Random video game news... RNG says "Nope"

Azdeus

19 hours ago, Sarex said:

Despite it neither being isometric nor having a silent protagonist (i.e. less resources would be wasted on decreasing roleplay options in an RPG), it sounds generally fine. Console-orientated controls handle tactical combat poorly either way, and a hub has been around for some time. While the game originally seems to have MP elements, at least it is single-player now, and hopefully single-player only.

• Like 3

https://the-secret-of-darkwoods.vercel.app/

Here is an upcoming CYOA game, it reminds me of the Fighting Fantasy PC games

The developer is active on Codex and Im very interested in it :sorcerer:

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

On 2/6/2023 at 1:57 PM, Wormerine said:

Huh, Hogwarts Legacy doesn’t suck? I didn’t expect that… 😱 

Wow, what a brilliant  review. HL looks incredible. The combat is complex and I love the open world and activities 🥂

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Yeah, a lot of decent to good reviews of Hogwarts had me thinking I'd try to d/l and fire up the game for and hour, to at least see how it performs on my now "outdated" (haha) rig (in 4k I mean), as long as there wasn't a flood of PC-early-access reports of terrible performance issues etc. I was guessing/hoping with no RT/settings fiddling I'd still be in the realm of 50-60 fps most of the time.

So I logged on a bit ago and apparently no one who bought the early-access pre-order can access. It won't unpack/start/play. Seems to be a general problem all over the world, not sure if it's 100% or 80% or whatever. Anyway ... it has nothing to do with gameplay itself but hahaha, that won't leave a good impression. Not sure what the problem/whose "fault" it is.

Edit: looks like at least some people can access/play it fine. It could be mostly people who didn't buy directly from Steam, and/or something to do with preloading or not preloading.....hmm..

EditEdit: seems like unpacking is working for people now. I just started downloading because I was curious if it would start for me but I guess it will now. I'll test performance a bit on a few resolutions I guess, then wait for the Day1 patch.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

• Like 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

5 hours ago, Malcador said:

Same. It needs some work and definitely optimization, but there's potential here.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Everspace 2 will move out of early access in April. Before that, on February 20th, the price will go up by 10$/€. If you're at all interested in the game, now is the time to buy at a discount. Gamepass subscribers need not bother buying as it will be available on Gamepass. :p

In the interest of fairness and for everyone who has not played the first game and doesn't know, this is not a space simulation, it is an arcade shooter. It's not as hard as the first Everspace and no longer has the permadeath/rogue-lite mechanics but it doesn't pull any punches either. You can play the game with a joystick and in first person/c-o-c-kpit view, but you will be making things harder on yourself. KB + M in 3rd person is the way to go.

Back when I played the alpha and parts of the early access the game wasn't as much fun as the first one, but I'm notoriously bad at dealing with a more open world approach. I see a reputation to grind, I do that, even if moving on in the story and to other systems generates quests that yield more reputation... *sigh* The developers said they expect players to spend around thirty hours playing the game. I'm already at thirty hours, and I'm not even out of the second system. Final release is going to have six, with more maybe added in an expansion.

Optimization on the earlier builds was pretty bad, but apparently it's gotten to the point where it is playable at 1080p in medium settings with a GTX 970 level card. Way, way back I had to turn everything down to minimum to even get it to play semi-smoothly on a GTX 970.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

1.0 and Steam release on February 28th. Played and highly enjoyed the demo*.

Somewhat amusing to me that there's a segment of players who for whatever reason consider the WEGO as a personal insult and insist that it's not a "true" turn-based system.

*Remember when those were a thing in PC gaming?

• Like 3
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Not exactly news, but RockPaperShotgun has been covering noteworthy independent games about magic this week.
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/celebrate-magical-games-of-witchcraft-and-wizardry-with-magic-week-on-rps
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/the-last-spells-magic-ruined-the-world-and-im-so-here-for-it
Considering the volume and quality of the new releases on Steam, it is most welcome.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Agiel said:

1.0 and Steam release on February 28th. Played and highly enjoyed the demo*.

Somewhat amusing to me that there's a segment of players who for whatever reason consider the WEGO as a personal insult and insist that it's not a "true" turn-based system.

*Remember when those were a thing in PC gaming?

Laser Squad Nemesis is the only game I remember enjoying that had that asynchronous turn based format. It makes a lot of sense in multiplayer, but I'm not sure it has the same feel of control over the battlefield as a traditional turn based game.

• Thanks 1

The Combat Mission games are probably the most high-profile series using WeGo from what I've seen, though I'm told that the latest Battlestar Galactica also uses it. Hopefully we see more games using it going forwards.

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Jake Solomon has left Firaxis. I wonder what it means for the future of XCOM3, but as Firaxis has been succesfully iterating on each Civ installement with a different lead I am not too worried about it. Worth remembering that Enemy Within was developed without Jake's input and was excellent.

edit. Midnight Suns has a free weekend on steam.

Edited by Wormerine
  • Hmmm 1

31 minutes ago, Hurlshort said:

I'm more worried about the bombing of Midnight Suns affecting Xcom 3, but this does seem to be another cause for concern. 

That being said, 23 years is a great run and I'm glad he rejuvenated the Xcom brand. 

I know that I and the few people that I know who were interested in Midnight Suns lost all interest when it was revealed that it uses a card-based battle system. I don't know if it was as offputting for everyone else but I'd imagine that it probably cost them more than a few sales.

Free games updated 3/4/21