Random video game news... RNG says "Nope"

Azdeus

On 2/1/2023 at 10:52 AM, Sarex said:

Looks at my graphics card...

I wonder if the Intel ARC - which supposedly has greatly improved with some driver updates and lowered their MSRP - would run that at 1080 ok. At any rate - yeah, here comes the upping of game req, at least fancy graphic titles. The game does look interesting, I'll be curious re: reviews etc.

Other news: I cannot tell if the Amazon-buys-Tombraider is actually true (regardless how much it cost them) or just unconfirmed rumor. I am picturing them trying to make a new Tombraider TV series or film franchise, which makes me :lol:  Well, who knows. Maybe they'd have more success with that IP.

Edit: now I'm reading rumor that they rented use of the IP vs. outright bought it out.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

1 hour ago, LadyCrimson said:

Other news: I cannot tell if the Amazon-buys-Tombraider is actually true (regardless how much it cost them) or just unconfirmed rumor. I am picturing them trying to make a new Tombraider TV series or film franchise, which makes me :lol:  Well, who knows. Maybe they'd have more success with that IP.

Crystal Dynamics was supposed to be working with Amazon for next Tomb Raider game so it is possible.  If it true, than it would be a good deal for Embracer who bought who bunch of Squares IP for half of that. I am happy to sell Tomb Raider to Amazon hell, if it helps fund new Dues Ex 😛

11 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

I wonder if the Intel ARC - which supposedly has greatly improved with some driver updates and lowered their MSRP - would run that at 1080 ok. At any rate - yeah, here comes the upping of game req, at least fancy graphic titles. The game does look interesting, I'll be curious re: reviews etc.

Edit: now I'm reading rumor that they rented use of the IP vs. outright bought it out.

The ARC suffers from ludicrous price syndrome(tm) in Yurop. The A750 and A770 cost almost the same, which is right around the cost of a RTX 3060 12 GB, and yeah, that makes it a lot less appealing. Should still be good for 1080p gaming for a while though. Could certainly do worse, and an A750 anywhere near MSRP would be a really nice option for the price range.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Today Steam disabled the command line option to use their old login window, which I was using because the new one always defaults the "Remember Me" checkbox. Ugh, I know it's only one click but I'm inevitably going to forget to click it one day, and I have to go through the unnecessary rigmarole of logging out (which is harder than it should be) just to get it to forget me. And after all these years it still lacks the ability to make the X button completely quit the application. Eventually the other clients are going to catch up not by virtue of improving themselves, but just by waiting for Steam to get worse.

• Sad 2

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

1 hour ago, Humanoid said:

Today Steam disabled the command line option to use their old login window, which I was using because the new one always defaults the "Remember Me" checkbox. Ugh, I know it's only one click but I'm inevitably going to forget to click it one day, and I have to go through the unnecessary rigmarole of logging out (which is harder than it should be) just to get it to forget me. And after all these years it still lacks the ability to make the X button completely quit the application. Eventually the other clients are going to catch up not by virtue of improving themselves, but just by waiting for Steam to get worse.

Not likely, since they all do the same thing, hiding in the tray and in background processes and such. Anyway, wouldn't it be easier to just disable it from auto-starting up? Unless you're using a shared PC or something...

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

19 hours ago, Wormerine said:

Crystal Dynamics was supposed to be working with Amazon for next Tomb Raider game so it is possible.  If it true, than it would be a good deal for Embracer who bought who bunch of Squares IP for half of that. I am happy to sell Tomb Raider to Amazon hell, if it helps fund new Dues Ex 😛

AFAIK they're still making another Tomb Raider game, which is great because they were on a good trajectory. I very much disliked the 2013 (kill Russians, lather, rinse, repeat) reboot, I liked Rise (holy crap, a puzzle or two that isn't insultingly easy!) and I really really liked Shadow (This one felt like a legit Tomb Raider game, they even had a couple of puzzles that took me some time to figure out). If they continue down that path then the 4th game will be downright amazing.:dancing:

• Thanks 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

6 hours ago, Keyrock said:

I very much disliked the 2013 (kill Russians, lather, rinse, repeat) reboot, I liked Rise (holy crap, a puzzle or two that isn't insultingly easy!) and I really really liked Shadow (This one felt like a legit Tomb Raider game, they even had a couple of puzzles that took me some time to figure out).

I am pretty much in the same boat, however, Shadow wasn't developed by Crystal Dynamics but Eidos Montreal (Deus Ex, Guardians of the Galaxy). As such, I don't hope that Crystal Dynamics will change the trajectory of the series, but yeah Rise was decent anyway.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Not likely, since they all do the same thing, hiding in the tray and in background processes and such. Anyway, wouldn't it be easier to just disable it from auto-starting up? Unless you're using a shared PC or something...

GOG and Epic can both be set to quit the application instead of minimising to tray in the settings. Not sure about Origin since I don't remember the last time I used it.

And this isn't about auto start-up, as I don't do that. I'm perfectly fine with launching manually and typing my password every time and don't want that workflow to change.

• Like 4

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

2 hours ago, Humanoid said:

GOG and Epic can both be set to quit the application instead of minimising to tray in the settings. Not sure about Origin since I don't remember the last time I used it.

And this isn't about auto start-up, as I don't do that. I'm perfectly fine with launching manually and typing my password every time and don't want that workflow to change.

I did know GOG worked differently, but I have zero experience with Epic's launcher, so that's neat. Not that I'm likely to ever use it, since at this point the only reason I use even Steam is for Steam Friends...

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

The 2013 and post-2013 Tomb raiders were far better than the post-Core ones before that with those sidekicks that wouldn't keep their piehole shut for three seconds.

Edited by HoonDing
Core not Cryo

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

1 hour ago, HoonDing said:

The 2013 and post-2013 Tomb raiders were far better than the post-Cryo ones before that with those sidekicks that wouldn't keep their piehole shut for three seconds.

I'd say Rise and Shadow were better than anything after Tomb Raider 3. 2 and 3 were the high water mark in the OG series for me; after 3 the series took a nose dive, though I did kind of like Underworld, the last game before the reboot. I thought it was a halfway decent return to form, even if the story was COMPLETELY off the rails by then.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/dragon-age-inquisition-horses-sprinting-lie-creative-director-john-epler/

“When you ‘sprint’ on a horse in DAI(,) it doesn’t really do much because (Frostbite) couldn’t stream in levels fast enough, so we just added speed lines and changed the camera so it felt faster,” explained Epler.

• Haha 3
  • Hmmm 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

6 hours ago, HoonDing said:

The 2013 and post-2013 Tomb raiders were far better than the post-Core ones before that with those sidekicks that wouldn't keep their piehole shut for three seconds.

I actually quite like Anniverary (not so much the other two). I was a teen when I played those, and gameplay taste when it comes to action games have been rather undeveloped. I tried to replay Legend couple years ago, and was shocked how poorly it played.

From original games I really liked Tomb Raider1&2 only, and 4th was ok.

However, the first "tomb raider" game I played, and one I have the most fond memories of was Indiana Jones and The Infernal Machine.

19 hours ago, Raithe said:

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/dragon-age-inquisition-horses-sprinting-lie-creative-director-john-epler/

“When you ‘sprint’ on a horse in DAI(,) it doesn’t really do much because (Frostbite) couldn’t stream in levels fast enough, so we just added speed lines and changed the camera so it felt faster,” explained Epler.

I'm pretty sure I already knew this from doing that stupid horse racing mission. I walked it once and raced it once and got the same time.

• Haha 1

On 2/4/2023 at 2:35 AM, MrBrown said:

My bugbear with Steam is  you can't remove Big Picture -mode from menus, so I occasionally click on it and then get annoyed I have to find out how to close it.

Big Picture in menus? I'm not sure what that means. I have anything Steam Overlay unchecked, I see nothing about Big Picture Mode anywhere. 😛 

But today I noticed that for some reason Steam client had decided to duplicate all my game sorting categories. Two "RPG", two "RTS", and so on. Don't know how long it was like that before I noticed. I was a little afraid if I deleted one they would both delete, so I renamed one of them ... that registered fine, so I deleted the renamed one. Seemingly fixed. Weird tho. The last couple client updates I've noticed little weird things, like new boxes when games launch that didn't exist before, new reminders/popups re: "you can change launch options here via this gear icon!" and ... then they stopped again. Feels like they are having a personality crisis.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts