Random video game news... RNG says "Nope"

Azdeus

On 1/22/2023 at 2:38 PM, Hurlshort said:

Just another bad JA game...

Wait, they have Ian Currie? Am I feeling a glimmer of hope? 

Ian Currie is a game changer. He created JA2. After Sir-Tech closed down, he ended up going over to Turbine and worked on Lord of the Rings Online for over a decade. Those are the two games I consistently go back to over the years. So maybe this new JA has a chance of being great. 

It needs to allow the creation of mods if they want this thing to survive.

/Edit: Apparently it runs on Unity. So basically there will be a big hype on release and then it will slowly be forgotten and people keep playing JA2 1.13 instead.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

6 hours ago, MrBrown said:

Good for him.  Shame to see rank and yank is still being done these days

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

7 minutes ago, Wormerine said:

Mimimi's project Süßkartoffel has been revealed. Looks very much like their previous titles, though according to earlier interviews and gameplay video it will be more open, than their previous titles:

Undead pirate Commandos? Yes, please. Mimimi hasn't done me wrong yet. They've pretty much singlehandedly revived the real-time stealth tactics genre.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

On 1/25/2023 at 12:06 AM, Keyrock said:

"Mac Walters, lead writer on Mass Effect 2 and 3 as well as creative director on Mass Effect: Andromeda"... do you *really* want that on your resume (not as bad as having Anthem on it, I know)? 🤔

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

13 hours ago, kanisatha said:

Beautiful! Complete cave from WotC.

Is there such a thing as a will wallet saving throw?

• Haha 5

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

On 1/24/2023 at 5:09 PM, MrBrown said:

Good thing we live in a capitalist world, where employee hard work and initiative is rewarded, so we get a constant supply of cheap, high quality games... /sarcasm

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Gorth said:

"Mac Walters, lead writer on Mass Effect 2 and 3 as well as creative director on Mass Effect: Andromeda"... do you *really* want that on your resume (not as bad as having Anthem on it, I know)? 🤔

ME2 was awesome, so that's a positive, ME3 and MEA, not so much.🤭

Regardless of what I think of his track record, having a production director leave in the middle of production is never a good thing. It's like switching a director in the middle of filming a movie. Movies where that happens more often than not wind up being a mess.

• Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

3 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Good thing we live in a capitalist world, where employee hard work and initiative is rewarded, so we get a constant supply of cheap, high quality games... /sarcasm

We actually do get that, just not from AAA studios. Really good and reasonably priced games get released all the time, they come from AA and indie studios. I'll list some recent-ish examples:

Neon White - $25 

Hades - $25

Vampire Survivors - $5

• Like 4

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

14 hours ago, Keyrock said:

The actual writing in ME2 was pretty good, but story progress wise... dunno, it's kind of like going on a balanced diet and having one meal consist of chocolate cake. Of course everyone likes that meal. The problem comes when you have to design the next meal and find you have to stuff a load of nutrition in to it but a minimum of calories. Of course ME3 did manage to, uh, overcook the brussels sprouts so to speak anyway, but if ME2 had done its narrative job better they could have been deliciously pan fried in butter instead of boiled.

Whether that's any reflection on Walters though, who knows. I'd suspect the decision to put just about the only piece of actual plot advancement in ME3 behind a dlc at least was a management decision to get people to buy dlc.

On 1/25/2023 at 3:20 AM, Wormerine said:

Mimimi's project Süßkartoffel has been revealed. Looks very much like their previous titles, though according to earlier interviews and gameplay video it will be more open, than their previous titles:

Heh, Project "Sweet Potato" 😝

No idea what these guys normally do/did, but those trailers looked like a fun game (I liked the humour) 😎

On 1/29/2023 at 2:10 PM, Keyrock said:

Regardless of what I think of his track record, having a production director leave in the middle of production is never a good thing. It's like switching a director in the middle of filming a movie. Movies where that happens more often than not wind up being a mess.

ME is weird... ME1 had the most fun combat, ME2 the most fun companions and ME3 the most fun DLC (I had a blast joining the party on the Citadel)

I think ME3 suffers the most from the story that is going on in the background. "Oh no, the earth is in grave danger and about to be destroyed, we have to hurry! ... But first let me visit that place there to do those side quests."

• Like 3

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I'd say that ME3 lacked the player's agency regarding the MC (the whole Earth thing - none of the backgrounds would see it as anything more than a prison, but especially the PTSD dreams; I'd be more sympathetic if it was a pyjak the MC accidentally ran over in the first game) and the Cerberus plotline was somehow odd (Kai Leng and the BBG's long monologue at the end; the latter was thematically justifiable but nonetheless irritating). I somehow disliked the insinuation that the uncontrolled military "doing what needs to be done at any cost" is an anyhow good thing, but it might be the logical continuation from the first game and the Spectres. Would prefer to be able to swap Hackett for anything else or at least purposefully disconnect mid-call, though.
Structurally and in terms of pacing, ME3 seemed fine, the gameplay had not changed much from ME2, most of the story lines got some conclusion. Some side quests were timed and it was reasonable to complete them (e.g. so the opponents don't gain resources).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hawke64 said:

I somehow disliked the insinuation that the uncontrolled military "doing what needs to be done at any cost" is an anyhow good thing

To me, this kind of stuff always feels like propaganda. Hate it in every game. Reminds me of The Division right now, where there are secret sleeper agents who will be activated in an emergency and of course they only do good. Please, we all know that if such a thing exists in real, it's always 110% some fascist crap.

/Edit: Had to edit my post multiple times because it always gave me some error message. Did some try&error and found out that it won't let me write sleeper agents in "" - Makes no sense to me. Conspiracy much? 😄

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Gorth said:

Heh, Project "Sweet Potato" 😝

No idea what these guys normally do/did, but those trailers looked like a fun game (I liked the humour) 😎

Oh man. Yes. Mimimi is a german Independent Studio that in recent years carved it's own nieche making Commando inspired titles. They appeared without nowhere with a really solid demo for Shadow Tactics: Blades of Shogun, that was "like Desperados but in Edo Japan". Interestingly enough the project almost killed the studio, as they went all in on the project - and came dangerously close to shutting down. Smart and clean interpretation of the forgotten genre, with some decent story:

With how well they did the formula THQ Nordic hired them to do sequel to Desperados - they IP they were a holder off. Desp3 is pretty much a more polished version of Shadow Tactics, mostly using the same character kits and enemy archetypes with one new addition (which seems to be a jumping point to more fantastical Shadow Gambit).

Both titles are very handcrafted in nature, with pre-determined mission order and pre-determined party compositions, so Shadow Gambits ambition seems to be to expand the underlying systemic sandbox those games have going for them. If they look like something you would like, I would recommend giving them a go. They are both excellent real-time tactics. Desp3 is a more polished of the two, with some welcome QoL improvemenets, but I personally prefered the vibe of SHadow Tactics - the M-Rated nature of Desp3 felt a bit off to me. There is also standalone expansion to Shadow Tactics - Aiko's choice, but it is a short DLC mission pack best played after original game. It is standalone, as it's been actually developed after Desp3 before going all deep on project Süßkartoffel,  and team didn't want to mess with the old game, but it is best thought of as a minor DLC to the original - similar to the one Desp3 got.

Edited by Wormerine
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4