Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous, Part 6

bugarup

am gonna suggest people focus too much on the wrong content. flurry polearms for sohei is indeed nice, but it only happens at level eleven. the most difficult part o' the game is early, when you don't have many powers or abilities. so armed with metaknowledge, build experience, the right gear and an ideal supporting party, by the time you hit level twelveish, chances are you are no longer struggling. 

'course even w/o flurry, sohei is gonna be the current win choice for monks. from start o' game, level one, sohei gets you get a horse, martial weapon proficiency and access to spirited charge. 'cause 'o changes regarding spears and charging, at level one you are gonna do 3x damage on a charge... if you choose spirited charge. you are gonna choose spirited charge level one. play as a human and you should have cleaving finish by level three. a sohei with spirited charge and armed with a longspear finnean is laughing at early game content.

crpg axiom: most powerful ≠ most fun. rule o' kool should always win... unless you are playing unfair difficulty wotr. sohei might be most strongk but is it most fun? dunno.

@ShadySands for the through the ashes content we had a half orc wildland shaman with a leopard. also had a sacred huntsmaster with a leopard. were two leopards and a horse in our party so we kept our naming convention straightforward: leopard 1; leopard 2; horse. not our most creative moment. 

leopard were our first animal companion with our angel sacred huntsmaster. gritty kitty.

regardless, we wanna play a half orc wildland shaman as a main at some point in the future, 'cause is a stacked archetype. would likely choose a dog. maybe name God even if is a bit sacrilegious. wildland shaman is a serious stacked archetype. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

• 2 weeks later...

"AoE spells and items didn't affect the enemies if you rested before the battle for Defender's Heart – fixed;"

we mentioned this bug earlier. the thing is, the bug also disabled enemy aoe. dretch stinking clouds, which nowadays the demons spam merciless during the defender's heart battle, were similar ineffective pre patch. overall am thinking the bug made the tavern defense easier.

the star rattle l00t chest being "fixed" is also maybe not such a fantabulous result as the chest is now providing goggles o' undeniable truth, which you no doubt acquired a couple islands earlier. no longer is the chest providing a broken trickster mask... which admitted were kinda broken given the level it is likely acquired. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

1 minute ago, Sarex said:

So is it out of the game or do you get it elsewhere?

no idea. am only certain that if you play treasure isles dlc as a side quest to the main game, then the star rattle rewards post patch is the undeniable truth goggles. 

have not tested where the dlc is played as separate from the main campaign and am not having run through the entirety o' the chase and prey portions o' the dlc to be knowing what other l00t changes may have been implemented.

HA! Good Fun!

• 2 weeks later...

have personal been waiting to play beyond early act 2 as we hoped to see a few bugs addressed in a patch.

new patch

better than nothing

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

Looks like several new archetypes and a few spells may be in the pipeline, with a good amount of association with the undead or shadows. Also an "android companion". Let's hope Owlcat's Commander Data isn't as bad as NuTrek's evil Brent Spiner.

Looking at the archetypes and I think Shadowcaster and Weretouched will be top-tier, Ghost Rider and Reanimator are wildcards, Tortured Crusader and Tandem Executioner are downgrades. We'll just have to wait and see when/if they are implemented.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

insofar as shadowcaster, am suspicious owlcat has finally fixed shadow spells as the dcs are often wrong and elemental damage is counted strange... and sr is also implemented different than one would expect if pathfinder is the basis. however, the profane and untyped intelligence boosts is making shadowcaster worthy o' consideration.

the ghost rider sounds kewl, and that may be enough, but it sacrifices the cavalier charge abilities which multiply damage and expand crit range, so is functional a decrease in power.

were-touched looks weaker than manticore or fey-form, but that don't make it bad as those two is kinda silly op at the moment. shifters is strong and the were archetype seems like a solid addition to the shifter list o' archetypes.

tortured crusader would be okie dokie if the game had more non evil foes. lack o' a mount hurts. lack o' mark of justice means we likely want another paladin in the party in addition to the tortured crusader.

dark lurker and reanimator look kinda meh, but might be thematic interesting enough to try. 

regardless, @ShadySands should be happy as these archetypes all have a gothic kinda theme, no? suggests the next dlc might involve vampires, werewolves and similar fare. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

have finally played a new wotr game deep enough to do all o' act ii with the new companion as well as the act iii ulbrig specific content. 

quick observations:

- the new content is owlcat ordinary which means if you enjoyed wotr, then you will possible grumble 'bout narrative shortcomings or bugs related to the dlc, but such is no worse than the bulk o' what has been previous released. however, a few o' the quests is kinda haphazard and ill-defined; you may feel the need to check your journal to be sure a couple quests is finished, or not. 

- the only act iii content other than crusade management we completed before exploring gundrun were greengates and the molten scar which had us reach level 11 by a handful o' xp. after completing the act iii ulbrig quests am ~3/4 to level 12; is a fair amount o' content available on decent sized maps. there is more happening in currantglen and gundrun than we expected. the dlc is not just 'bout the shifter class with a wotr companion tacked on for good measure. ulbrig and his relevant maps result in considerable more content than other wotr companions, for better or worse. 

- is a few munchkin bait l00t items considering the level o' the content. is multiple +6 enhancement gear pieces and those items have bonuses beyond the enhancement.

-the crusade upgrades from ulbrig provide your army with new military units but have only accessed infantry and archers 'cause as am having stated, am early in act iii. even so our new default infantry unit is the ulbrig specific houndmasters.

- am highly recommending upgrading the phylactery of stevanius (ring) with the convert to force damage option before tackling gundrun.

Spoiler

the maps are fugly not only with swarms but also incorporeal undead. you will be able acquire multiple swarmbane clasps which not surprising allow you to damage swarms. however, depending on your party configuration, the incorporeal undead may be a serious nuisance. 

- a merchant in gundrun sells multiple weapons and items which target lycanthropes. am not yet having encountered lycanthropes, so...

regardless, am gonna repeat am pleasant surprised by the amount o' new content provided by the dlc. 

HA! Good Fun!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kanisatha said:

am I missing something?

there is an option on ulbrig's ability menu titled wild shape (return). green color so it stands out.

HA! Good Fun!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gromnir said:

there is an option on ulbrig's ability menu titled wild shape (return). green color so it stands out.

HA! Good Fun!

Huh. I'm pretty sure it's not there in my game. I'm going to check right now.

Edit: Found it! I guess because I only checked those Ability menu items when he's in his normal form and not when shifted, I missed seeing it. :)

Thanks!

Edited by kanisatha
  • Like 1

More data mining.

Android companion looks to be limited to the Through the Ashes sequel and is an Int-based Bard. There's also reference to "shards", which look to be limited to the DLC.

Archetypes continue to be more sp00ky with cannibal Barbarians, daemon Shamans (Owlbrew original), hag Bloodragers, dual-cursed Oracle, heretical Clerics, and a geomancer Sorcerer (owlbrew Original). Handful of new spells as well.

Edited by PK htiw klaw eriF
  • Thanks 1
  • Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

For the benefit of those who have not found our talking about this game across six whole topics engaging enough:

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

My biggest d'oh moment so far: was in the Ineluctable Prison, got hit by a Curse of Idiocy and happened to have no one and no item with me for removing it. Luckily the sufferer was Regill who doesn't need a brain anyway, but it was annoying, I have to say. And poor preparation on my part.

• 3 weeks later...

I have now done two different mythic playthroughs, Azata and Trickster, and I must say Azata was about a hundred times better. The Trickster storyline seems so forced, and most notably, it's just not funny. I quite liked some of the Trickster mythic abilities, but as far as the written content... nah. Just poor.

14 minutes ago, xzar_monty said:

I have now done two different mythic playthroughs, Azata and Trickster, and I must say Azata was about a hundred times better. The Trickster storyline seems so forced, and most notably, it's just not funny. I quite liked some of the Trickster mythic abilities, but as far as the written content... nah. Just poor.

trickster are for powergaming

would be fun if there are more chance to turn enemy into furniture or something

instead all trickster get is making a drunk king

got around to act v portion o' the ulbrig dlc. there is less act v content for ulbrig compared to act iii. act v gundrun does offer players a few meaningful choices which is hardly surprising 'cause is the end o' the ulbrig content. 

am having played wotr a few times and am a completionist. as such our level twenty party with the bestest gear wasn't particular overwhelmed (or even whelmed) by the final ulbrig battle(s). the concluding confrontation o' the dlc content is a bit gimmicky but am doubting it provides much challenge for seasoned players. is ez to be dismissive o' the ulbrig end content but am needing recall the dlc must be fun for more casual players as well as level twenty munchkins with end-game gear. is gonna be near impossible to balance 'tween most players and the more hardcore psychos such as Gromnir. 

overall there is a fair bit o' content provided via the ulbrig dlc, more than we had anticipated. the dlc offers a new companion with a new class, but is also numerous quests and a couple new areas populated by characters which contribute noteworthy amounts o' dialog. "more" hardly = good, but we were pleasant surprised by the value we received from the dlc.

no lycanthropes. as we mentioned earlier, there is a merchant in gundrun who sells gear with bonuses when facing lycanthropes. relevant for future content?

HA! Good Fun!

Dang it, I need to dust off my Lich run again. Got sidetracked by table top wargaming (yeah, that real life stuff involving playing with real, live people 😁)

I had just finished building a nice ziggurat, exploring the basement, but no obscene rituals taking place down there (yet)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

• 1 month later...

Resuming my pt (this time for real🙂). I went with Lan and Wenduag to visit Savamelehk and entered a certain archmage’s tower. He took a message to Galfrey, who answered with mere silence. Later I took Ember to meet with Nocticula and the Hand freaked out for no reason (I wonder how bad it would have been if I had accepted the power).

Also booked a trip with Nocticula Airlines and it was a completed disaster. First the ship crashed on the opposite direction I was supposed to go. Then Arue rolled a 2 on a Stealth check against Dagon pirates. My mc killed the enemy captain, but we run out of supplies and failed at hunting (the crew was eaten) because the game decided that this time the skill check would not be done by one of the companions. Apparently, that solved the problem because we resumed our trip and there was no more mention of supplies. How many people died hunting? Was the crew so over numbered?🤔

• Gasp! 1

sign.jpg