Anime and Manga - It's time for you to finish what you've started and watch JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders

InsaneCommander

These clips make me sad, because in capable hands the premise could make for a really entertaining anime.

Spoiler

I watched the original Love Live! and that was less offensive than the two minutes posted here. Including boob rubbing.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

54 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Gorth, are there any animes that you've tried which you just didn't much care for? I know that the chances of me liking something you're enjoying are not particularly high, but I figure that we might be able to find some common ground if I try something you didn't like and would actively recommend against. If we can't enjoy something together, I think we should at least hate something together.

I started on a number of animes, but realised already 15 minutes in of the first episode it wasn't "my kind" of stuff. Saving myself a lot of pain (I think), I only pursue those that really catch my interest at first sight so to speak. Life's too short (especially when you're old) to force yourself to watch something that doesn't immediately interest you. That usually only happen if something comes recommended with the disclaimer that it starts slow/boring/uninteresting whatever. I do watch a lot of youtube trailers before deciding on giving something a chance. Doesn't mean I hit the best animes around, just a good chance of watching something I would enjoy for several episodes.

Edit: It's not I've watched a lot of anime the last 12 months... Tensura Nikki and Dropkick my Devil iirc. both of which I enjoyed tremendously. There was a third one, whose name completely escapes my brain at the moment, but it may or may not have been withing the last 12 months (one where a bartender is a judge in the afterlife, forcing deceased souls to play games to decide whether they get reincarnation or oblivion)

Edit2: I remember watching Blood-C which started as a very interesting mystery and completely let me down towards the end. Elfen Lied and Ergo Proxy, both of which I thoroughly enjoyed

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Yeah, I can certainly relate - I can give up on shows/movies within literally a minute flat if I have a definitive "I don't like this" impression. It doesn't help that I tend to be willing to give weird/obscure stuff a chance in the hopes of finding gems among the rough, but sometimes you just know immediately that it's not going to work for you. So I'll start skipping ahead to make sure...yep, I'm out. We all dis/like what we dis/like, and there's no help for it.

33 minutes ago, majestic said:

These clips make me sad, because in capable hands the premise could make for a really entertaining anime.

Hide contents

I watched the original Love Live! and that was less offensive than the two minutes posted here. Including boob rubbing.

You know, now that you mention it, it could've been great fun to see wackier concepts like Tomo-chan Is a Girl if they were made more with the sensibilities/stylisms of 80s/90s anime. It's a ridiculous concept, but most animes are, so that's not really anything new. The issue is that I open the video and immediately experience the show being the most...you know, present day over-the-top anime/tropey that it can be. Something like Yawara is pretty asinine in terms of concept/premise, but I can sit and enjoy that because the style is simply more my thing even if I still have some issues with it, and thinking how the same could theoretically be applied here with Tomo-chan...oh well. Instead, a huge percentage of 80s/90s anime was incredibly lame-brained and repetitive concepts, chief among them all the terrible shonen. Ick.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

3 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

If we can't enjoy something together, I think we should at least hate something together.

2 hours ago, Gorth said:

It's not I've watched a lot of anime the last 12 months

The answer is in the thread title, JOOOOOOOOOOOOJOOOOOOOO!

You will either love it or hate it, and if you love it we can execute the JoJo Instrumentality Project in this thread and communicate solely through "ora", "muda", and the occasional "wrrryyyyyyyyy".

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

3 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

You know, now that you mention it, it could've been great fun to see wackier concepts like Tomo-chan Is a Girl if they were made more with the sensibilities/stylisms of 80s/90s anime. It's a ridiculous concept, but most animes are, so that's not really anything new. The issue is that I open the video and immediately experience the show being the most...you know, present day over-the-top anime/tropey that it can be. Something like Yawara is pretty asinine in terms of concept/premise, but I can sit and enjoy that because the style is simply more my thing even if I still have some issues with it, and thinking how the same could theoretically be applied here with Tomo-chan...oh well. Instead, a huge percentage of 80s/90s anime was incredibly lame-brained and repetitive concepts, chief among them all the terrible shonen. Ick.

I didn't even have that far back in mind when I made that concept, because those times are never coming back unless someone comes up with an anime design AI tool that manages to somewhat successfully make modern animation look like hand drawn and hand colored, i.e. something you put in enough parameters and your hand drawn outlines and it puts out 80ies/90ies style anime that looks the part.

I thought about something like handing this to the team that made K-On! and Tamako Market, just with a little note that it should not contain any over the top fanservice moments or sexual assault. That would at least instill a level of artistry, even without proper aesthetics. Tamako Market's concept, outside of the silliness with the talking bird, revolves around a boy and a girl being best friends, feeldings that grow into more on one side (although in Tamako Market, it is the boy, not the girl) at first.

It is pretty similar, and while it wasn't as good as I hoped it would be, it was still good enough to like it. Hell, I'd have loved the movie, if not for the ass-grabbing (that apparently is also part of Tomo-chan is a girl, because we're back in the 60ies and Charlie on the Enterprise does not understand why he cannot touch Yeoman Rand's butt while every male on the crew keep slapping their asses).

That aside, you're right. There sure would be sillier concepts. I mean we all watched a show about girls putting on make-up to achieve super powers and loved it, even if the concept is... ridiculous. :p

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

7 hours ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

The answer is in the thread title, JOOOOOOOOOOOOJOOOOOOOO!

You will either love it or hate it, and if you love it we can execute the JoJo Instrumentality Project in this thread and communicate solely through "ora", "muda", and the occasional "wrrryyyyyyyyy".

🤣

True. I forgot JoJo (and Dio).... as well as Gleipnir and Fire Force. I even watched a second season of the latter. But I think  these were more than a year ago (if not, then close to a year).

• Gasp! 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

19 minutes ago, Gorth said:

I forgot JoJo (and Dio)

5b2.jpg

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I've watched Rising of the Shield Hero a couple of times, but today was the first time I actually heard this in the background;

I'm immensely surprised to hear Swedish in an anime 😄

• Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

6 hours ago, Azdeus said:

I've watched Rising of the Shield Hero a couple of times, but today was the first time I actually heard this in the background;

I'm immensely surprised to hear Swedish in an anime 😄

there were a lot half german gibberish in those sawano song

Tomo-Chan is a Girl 1-3

This anime in a nutshell: Jun touches Tomo somewhere he shouldn’t and she punches him.

I should have counted how many times she punches him. I guess it was at least five times in the first three episodes.

Based on the rain scene, Jun is well aware that Tomo is a girl. I guess it would be too embarrassing to acknowledge it and deal with everything inappropriate he has done so far.

Funny that Jun also thought the guy in karate class was a girl. And “cotton candy girl” thought Tomo was a guy. What a mess. 😂

Misuzu is definitely going to have a lot of fun. And she could have waited another day for Tomo to wear a longer skirt before taking her shorts away.:p

• Haha 1

sign.jpg

4 hours ago, InsaneCommander said:
Carol is actually a genius.

Carol is easy to underestimate... she may not win the math competition, but her social intelligence is through the roof

Also... 2 minutes, two punches 😝

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, InsaneCommander said:

But when they go to the beach it’s a different matter.

I looked it up, so the others in the thread won't have to. Ah, how I suffer for others, what a selfless act. Tomo who apparently passes as a boy increases her bust size to DD in swimwear. Classic. I guess she gets her bikini top from the same manufacturer that made Haruka's dress in Sailor Moon Eternal.

Edited by majestic
  • Haha 2

Watching In/spectre, the name intrigued me, sounded like some detective stuff with spirits, which could be fun. It hasn't been a dissapointment so far, but I'm not exactly blown away either, but I've laughed atleast twice, so there's that!

• Hmmm 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Have I mentioned how much Makoto kills in Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon? I did? Oh... well, then I'll just repeat myself. Makoto is awesome, and Kunzite is just glorious. I already said that too? Oh...

The series is a damned sight better than the manga and Crystal/Eternal, although that is not a very high bar to clear.

• Gasp! 1

52 minutes ago, majestic said:

I looked it up, so the others in the thread won't have to. Ah, how I suffer for others, what a selfless act. Tomo who apparently passes as a boy increases her bust size to DD in swimwear. Classic. I guess she gets her bikini top from the same manufacturer that made Haruka's dress in Sailor Moon Eternal.

Since you are interested, here is the other scene I mentioned, when Musuza took Tomo's shorts but didn't wait for her to wear longer skirts:

• Haha 2

sign.jpg

Tomo sounded familiar, so I looked it up and she is in fact the Villainess who is Taming the Final Boss. Unfortunately Jun is just the guy in JoJo who used Kraft Work  and got shot by Mista.

5 hours ago, majestic said:

At least modern anime is consistent with American TV, where high school students look like adults in their late 20s. Because when I googled Tomo-chan is a Girl!?!?!?!?!, I was treated to an ad for a body pillow and a picture of Tomo-chan's boob enhancing bikini (made by Wiseman/Death Phantom for all potential BLACK LADY knock-offs) along with shirtless Jun,  who is a jacked himbo on the path to becoming a gym god.

Edited by PK htiw klaw eriF
  • Gasp! 2

11 hours ago, InsaneCommander said:

Since you are interested, here is the other scene I mentioned, when Musuza took Tomo's shorts but didn't wait for her to wear longer skirts:

It really is sort of funny how certain shows can inadvertently improve or worsen one's opinion of other series. Love Live!, while pretty bad in my opinion, was made even worse by realizing that what was actually nice about the series was lifted from K-On!, a series the creator of Love Live! also wrote for. Recently I started a really leisurely rewatch of Star Trek: Voyager, and it is so much better than it was in my memory because even the mediocre or bad episodes are still leaps and bounds ahead of everything in nuTrek.

Tomo-chan Is a Girl makes Tamako Market look like the epitome of artistry, warts and all. The animation, content, scene-setting - literally everything. One of two more of these clips and I'll forgive Tamako touching Midori's ass to see if ass-shaped mochi might be a good idea for their mochi shop.

Edited by majestic

3 hours ago, majestic said:

Tomo-chan Is a Girl makes Tamako Market look like the epitome of artistry, warts and all. The animation, content, scene-setting - literally everything. One of two more of these clips and I'll forgive Tamako touching Midori's ass to see if ass-shaped mochi might be a good idea for their mochi shop.

It's an anime for a twitter manga, I think you are expecting far too much from it. The manga was made to work as a one page = one chapter format. Also it pretty much embraces all the usual tropes.

Edited by Sarex

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

I'm disappointed with the new anime season. Couldn't find a single one with a bizarre or weird name to mock here.😠 And once again I don't see many I'd be interested in watching. Probably only the second season of the new Gundam and the Konosuba spin-off.

9 hours ago, majestic said:

One of two more of these clips and I'll forgive Tamako touching Midori's ass to see if ass-shaped mochi might be a good idea for their mochi shop.

Touching? Jun slapped Tomo's ass right in the first episode. Go ahead and forgive the poor girl.

16 hours ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

Tomo sounded familiar, so I looked it up and she is in fact the Villainess who is Taming the Final Boss. Unfortunately Jun is just the guy in JoJo who used Kraft Work  and got shot by Mista.

Misuzu sounded familiar, but I'd never have imagined where I heard her before: two childish characters and with completely different voices, Filo from The Rising of the Shield Hero and Millim from That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime.

16 hours ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

At least modern anime is consistent with American TV, where high school students look like adults in their late 20s. Because when I googled Tomo-chan is a Girl!?!?!?!?!, I was treated to an ad for a body pillow and a picture of Tomo-chan's boob enhancing bikini (made by Wiseman/Death Phantom for all potential BLACK LADY knock-offs) along with shirtless Jun,  who is a jacked himbo on the path to becoming a gym god.

I'm glad I never saw that. Kind of unrelated, but after trying to find Buddy Daddies and Tomo-chan gifs basically without any success I started to appreciate how easy it is for Spy x Family.

Edited by InsaneCommander

sign.jpg

On 3/19/2023 at 10:12 AM, uuuhhii said:

there were a lot half german gibberish in those sawano song

There's no half german gibberish here though, it's actual proper Swedish, with very poetic lyrics that are immensly suitable for the Naofumi and Raphtalias relationship.

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1