What You've Done Today - Keep Dreaming...

Raithe

The nice weather went away and it's back to rain and wind.  😄

I once painted my parent's bedrooms and all of the yard's planter boxes (they spanned the entire yard fencing) for extra money as a kid. I have hated house painting ever since and have never done it myself again.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I am kvetching on the weather here.

I've had about 3 and a half days of weather good enough to do priming and painting in over the last two months. I thought it had turned a corner last week, but now we're back to a serious cold snap due to icy winds from Siberia. So I have scattered pieces of Mando armour waiting to be properly done that I can't because we keep sinking below 10 Centigrade temps and that causes the paint to go funky.

And of course my budget was on the spray cans that I can't use inside the house. I've been nibbling away on the small accessories, because I can nip outside, spray and then put them back in the house instead of the garage, without the house getting fumed up. Which I can't do with the significantly larger armour pieces. >_<

Still. I do now have some shiny.

My DT-10 heavy blaster "clean" and assembled  (now I need to give thought to how I'm going to approach weathering it):

U6O2iid.jpg

O6MkP1j.jpg

• Like 5

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

The last couple weeks I've been trying to get into a regular routine at the pool, and today I started to see decent gains in my swim times. I always feel good after the workout, but getting up at 4:30, getting to the pool at 5, and swimming for 45 minutes is not the easiest schedule to keep. It doesn't help that it is super cold, windy, and rainy right now and it is an outdoor pool. At least it is heated, so once I get out of my car, there is a lot of motivation to get into the water ASAP.

I have a half ironman in Morro Bay in May, so I really need to stick with the schedule for the next couple months.

• Like 2

My sister and her fiancé are planning a trip to a beach resort in Colombia for both the families later this year. With this in mind, it would behoove me to know at least some Spanish. Hence, I am starting to learn Spanish via the Duolingo app, on account of it being free and me being a cheapskate.

• Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

On 2/28/2023 at 1:25 PM, Raithe said:

I am kvetching on the weather here.

I've had about 3 and a half days of weather good enough to do priming and painting in over the last two months. I thought it had turned a corner last week, but now we're back to a serious cold snap due to icy winds from Siberia. So I have scattered pieces of Mando armour waiting to be properly done that I can't because we keep sinking below 10 Centigrade temps and that causes the paint to go funky.

And of course my budget was on the spray cans that I can't use inside the house. I've been nibbling away on the small accessories, because I can nip outside, spray and then put them back in the house instead of the garage, without the house getting fumed up. Which I can't do with the significantly larger armour pieces. >_<

Still. I do now have some shiny.

My DT-10 heavy blaster "clean" and assembled  (now I need to give thought to how I'm going to approach weathering it):

am knowing britain has laws 'bout replica weapons being displayed public. am also recalling a few o' the original sw prop weapons were real pistols or whatever with added doodads. have a friend who does this kinda thing and we were shocked when we picked up his han solo blaster and we realized just how heavy it were. reason for the heft were 'cause there were a real mauser underneath the extra bits. 

am wondering if you ever get forced to make a weapon look less realistic just so it won't be confiscated or worse.

unrelated, am remembering at least one o' the original movie lightsabre hilts were, at its core, a flash attachment for a camera, the kinda camera which no longer exists in 2023. is no doubt a bit more difficult to make "authentic" replicas (weird phrase) o' a few items nowadays. try and follow the original prop designer plans is gonna be improbable and not just 'cause a real mauser is likely verboten in britain.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Just left the doctors office 15 minutes ago. According to his test and the lab results from blood tests taken last week, I’m a perfectly healthy 30 year old… 🤔

I’m beginning to think my birth certificate has a typo 😂

Just kidding, I’m in (surprisingly) good health for my age and I appreciate being so

• Like 4

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

9 hours ago, Gromnir said:

am wondering if you ever get forced to make a weapon look less realistic just so it won't be confiscated or worse.

Different Cons have different regulations for cosplay weapons, so it's always worth while keeping an eye on those.

Weapon checks are part of security going into most Conventions these days as well, they quite often will fix something like an orange zip tie on a trigger guard or barrel once they've checked it.  Similarly for cosplay "blades" or other things.

Bows tend to require unstringed as a thing.

Quite a lot of prop guns will come with a bright red / orange cap that can click onto the end of the barrel so that's another 'obvious' visual sign it's not real.

Funny thing about the original Star Wars prop guns was that due to budget, they had to hire the WW2 guns they used as a basic form. Then they could only do certain changes that could be removed afterwards.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Another snowstorm in, so guess that's my weekend plans  - shoveling. More annoying will be the difficulty in getting around to do groceries and such, mostly due to idiots that think snow tires are a luxury or unnecessary combined with their GTA level driving skills.

• Sad 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

• Gorth locked this topic

More deeds done this way...

:skull:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein