The All Things Political Topic - Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you

Elerond

30 minutes ago, Hurlshort said:

I'm currently reading Trevor Noah's biography and I'm guessing SA isn't as perfect as some people portray it here. Granted it is probably fine if you meet certain pigment criteria.

am also gonna note poison blow darts is more o' a south america and se asia thing. the notorious curare poison is plant-based (moonseed?) but the "poison dart" frogs which is likely what inspired the earlier quip, is south american indigenous. in any event, if poison dartings is the concern, then am thinking brazil or philippines health care should be the target for research.

just doing our part to cliff clavin  a dose o' reality into the otherwise asinine.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

7 hours ago, Gromnir said:

am also gonna note poison blow darts is more o' a south america and se asia thing. the notorious curare poison is plant-based (moonseed?) but the "poison dart" frogs which is likely what inspired the earlier quip, is south american indigenous. in any event, if poison dartings is the concern, then am thinking brazil or philippines health care should be the target for research.

just doing our part to cliff clavin  a dose o' reality into the otherwise asinine.

HA! Good Fun!

Poison arrows, not darts,  are still used by pygmies in African countries like CAR (Central African Republic ) in hunting

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/articles/hunting-with-pygmies-in-the-central-african-republic

@Gfted1 but  you dont have to worry about this in SA. All our hunting is with  guns or some  professional hunters use longbows and crossbows 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

So good news for the country of Georgia which is looking to join the EU\West. There parliament had proposed a very unpopular " foreign agents bill " which was heavily criticized by groups like Amnesty International and most people in Georgia. It reminded  me of  the typical Russian style authoritarian control of freedom speech and a free media

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2023/03/georgia-foreign-agents-bill-tramples-on-rights-restricting-freedom-of-expression-and-association/

Anyway after several days of protest the Georgian government has reversed its decision to try to implement this bill. A small but important victory for another former Soviet state thats has aspirations to join the EU

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/09/world/europe/georgia-protests-russia.html

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

8 hours ago, BruceVC said:

...but  you dont have to worry about this in SA. All our hunting is with  guns or some  professional hunters use longbows and crossbows 

I know its not the case in SA, but whenever I think if Africa, my mind instantly conjures the image of being on the African Queen, riding down some river, dense jungle to either side, was that a rustling in the bushes!?, suddenly darts are whistling through the air crossing the deck from both sides!, arrows and spears make a thud as they stick into the deckhouse!, in the distance...an ever present sound of drums. Fade to black.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

I know its not the case in SA, but whenever I think if Africa, my mind instantly conjures the image of being on the African Queen, riding down some river, dense jungle to either side, was that a rustling in the bushes!?, suddenly darts are whistling through the air crossing the deck from both sides!, arrows and spears make a thud as they stick into the deckhouse!, in the distance...an ever present sound of drums. Fade to black.

...maybe ya jus' watched Jumanji waaaaaaaaaayyyy too many times, amigo....??...🤣

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

Edited by Sargallath Abraxium

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

“Yeah, I’m crazy,” Bourne told The Daily Beast. “Crazy like a fox.”

"Bourne, who makes what she calls “cactus art” using glitter and Swarovski crystals, might seem like an unlikely person to plunge the most-watched cable network in the country into an embarrassing, expensive lawsuit."

the terrible reality is stories such as this won't make a bit o' difference. the emails from the fox opinion and news hosts admitting their lies won't change hearts and minds anymore than any o' the dozens o' previous stories which did undermine the credibility o' fox and the trump campaign. post 2016 we increasing shifted towards an us v. them dynamic such that it is impossible to admit wrongs 'cause doing so is traitorous or even apocalyptic. 

got nothing.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

4 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Maybe riding the Jungle Cruise attraction at Disneyland in the early 70's left an indelible impression on my wee mind. :lol:

...it's a small World, after all...🤣

7 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Dang you! Now that theme song has earwormed me!

...hehehe...jus' crank up some Sabbath, amigo...always works fer me when I gets that kinda shyte stuck in me ol' noggin'...Supernaut always comes through fer me...hehehe...🤪

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/iran-saudi-arabia-agree-resume-ties-re-open-embassies-iranian-state-media-2023-03-10/

This an interesting and potentially significant development for the ME and the various proxy wars in the ME due to the Shia vs Sunni conflict between Iran and Saudi Arabia 

And also now people can stop asking the illogical   question " but why doesnt the West  care about Yemen like it cares about Ukraine " because now maybe the countries responsible for that war can end it.

Its early days with these peace talks but lets see how it progresses 

John Milton 

3 hours ago, BruceVC said:

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/iran-saudi-arabia-agree-resume-ties-re-open-embassies-iranian-state-media-2023-03-10/

This an interesting and potentially significant development for the ME and the various proxy wars in the ME due to the Shia vs Sunni conflict between Iran and Saudi Arabia 

And also now people can stop asking the illogical   question " but why doesnt the West  care about Yemen like it cares about Ukraine " because now maybe the countries responsible for that war can end it.

Its early days with these peace talks but lets see how it progresses 

Interesting... so the Saudi's and the Ayatollahs may have decided they have common enemy it's worth uniting against?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, Gorth said:

Interesting... so the Saudi's and the Ayatollahs may have decided they have common enemy it's worth uniting against?

Its not about a common enemy because if you look at Iran and Saudi Arabia they each have different alliances, enemies  and friendships globally but I do think its about the future of the ME and the numerous  conflicts created by Shia vs Sunni sectarian tensions. But of course its early days but its a progressive move for the ME

Interesting China played a role, never thought I would see that but the Chinese are also looking at there own future economically and what works for them

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

3 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Its not about a common enemy because if you look at Iran and Saudi Arabia they each have different alliances, enemies  and friendships globally but I do think its about the future of the ME and the numerous  conflicts created by Shia vs Sunni sectarian tensions. But of course its early days but its a progressive move for the ME

Interesting China played a role, never thought I would see that but the Chinese are also looking at there own future economically and what works for them

Fun thought experiment... name a country that both China, Iran and Saudi Arabia hates

• Hmmm 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

59 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Fun thought experiment... name a country that both China, Iran and Saudi Arabia hates

I guess you mean the US? But its more nuanced than that

The Iranian hardliners hate the US. China and the US are inextricably connected in trade but you generally  find more anti-China sentiment from the US than anti -US sentiment from China. And much of the anti-China sentiment can be justified but some of it is grandstanding like Trump blaming China for the spread of the virus within US which was unfair because of the nature of the  virus 

But Saudi Arabia doesnt hate the US, they have a long and historical "friendship " going back decades. Mohammed bin Salman didnt like the criticism he received over the killing of the journalist and Im not sure how happy he is over oil price caps on Russian oil but I dont think that translates to a real dislike of the US

I really think  this new and ostensible friendship with Iran is more about the ME for both countries  and the real problems that exist because of the Shia vs Sunni conflict

And of course we will see how things change as time goes on?

John Milton 

2 hours ago, Gorth said:

Sweden. 😎

• Haha 3

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

1 hour ago, Azdeus said:

Sweden. 😎

perhaps is a handful o' poles still twisted up 'bout the treaty of altmark, but am trying with difficulty to imagine legit examples o' modern swedish hate outside indigenous peoples. am suspecting your national ketchup fetish evokes more pity and curiosity than anger. the concocted indignity o' turkey as an excuse to keep sweden outta nato don't feel real, but perhaps am wrong.

have never purchased an ikea product but the near universal pop culture knowledge that assembling the swedish furniture ordinary results in frustration might qualify as hate. maybe? is the chinese, iranians and saudis known for purchasing ikea products?

is the olympic curling and cross country skiing competition cutthroat enough to inspire hate? 

so other than the sámi, and a few inebriated kanadian curling fans, am not sure who genuine hates sweden, but am admitted uneducated on such matters.

converse, everybody hates norway, yes? 

HA! Good Fun!

• Haha 2

On a slight tangent from politics, but on the slice of "stand your ground" law down in Florida...

https://www.local10.com/news/local/2023/03/10/charges-dropped-against-man-arrested-for-road-rage-shooting-on-i-95/

In June 2021, Eric Popper got into a road rage incident and fired his gun at someone. The Miami-Dade State Attorney's Office just dropped the charges against him. In a "Stand Your Ground" state, you can lose your temper and fire your gun for no reason, or at least that seems to be the suggestion some people are aiming for...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

4 hours ago, Raithe said:

On a slight tangent from politics, but on the slice of "stand your ground" law down in Florida...

https://www.local10.com/news/local/2023/03/10/charges-dropped-against-man-arrested-for-road-rage-shooting-on-i-95/

In June 2021, Eric Popper got into a road rage incident and fired his gun at someone. The Miami-Dade State Attorney's Office just dropped the charges against him. In a "Stand Your Ground" state, you can lose your temper and fire your gun for no reason, or at least that seems to be the suggestion some people are aiming for...

we mentioned this with the rittenhouse case, but there is a viscous circle o' stoopid the gun rights folks refuse to acknowledge. because americans is so well armed, every cop traffic stop is creating a reasonable fear for cops 'cause the occupant o' the car reaching under his seat for his driver's license might just as well be reaching for a gun. we pointed out how if rittenhouse had been killed 'stead o' being the killer, those who killed him woulda' benefited from the same self defense case law. some folks reflexive rage whenever there is a cops shooting o' an unarmed individual, but the law protects all american morons and not just cops. is so ez to show the possibility o' fear in any conflict, and because the possibility any american you meet has a concealed weapon, with a beyond a reasonable doubt standard benefitting a criminal defendant, americans will continue shooting each other with the full protection o' the law... presumably 'cause some folks think firearms possession makes 'em more safe contrary to any statistical evaluation o' such claims.

again, americans want guns to feel safe. however, because potential everybody has firearms, there is always a reasonable apprehension o' lethal violence during any tense altercation, particular when those conflicts happen at night. we want guns to feal safe, but the fact any american might have a handgun on her person means we is all reasonably afraid. is mind numbing stoopid, but is no good way to fix the problem. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

On 3/11/2023 at 2:22 PM, Gromnir said:

perhaps is a handful o' poles still twisted up 'bout the treaty of altmark, but am trying with difficulty to imagine legit examples o' modern swedish hate outside indigenous peoples. am suspecting your national ketchup fetish evokes more pity and curiosity than anger. the concocted indignity o' turkey as an excuse to keep sweden outta nato don't feel real, but perhaps am wrong.

have never purchased an ikea product but the near universal pop culture knowledge that assembling the swedish furniture ordinary results in frustration might qualify as hate. maybe? is the chinese, iranians and saudis known for purchasing ikea products?

is the olympic curling and cross country skiing competition cutthroat enough to inspire hate? 

so other than the sámi, and a few inebriated kanadian curling fans, am not sure who genuine hates sweden, but am admitted uneducated on such matters.

converse, everybody hates norway, yes? 

HA! Good Fun!

We don't have any laws that prohibit us from burning religious books, and people tend to use that right to protest against Islam (Usually a person of Danish and Swedish citizenship that does it). There are alot of flag burnings and stuff like that, the ME was pretty angry a couple of months ago. Theres also an conspiracy going on about Swedish Social Services kidnapping/forcefully taking muslim babies and selling them to Swedish foster homes. As for China, we also gave Gui Minhai, that we're trying to get back home from being kidnapped from Thailand, and we keep airing critical TV shows about China and such.

Sámi have more than a little right to be pissed at us, we continue to **** them over. But we're not good enough at sports to foster any amount of hate 😄

Funny thing, in the 70's or something like that, Norway offered Sweden a cut from their oil in exchange for stakes in Volvo. We said no. Big oof. We don't hate Norway, we jealous. >_<

• Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

for the fox viewers

btw, if you think you were only lied to 'bout january 6, you are being embarrassing naïve. summer 2020 protests and covid coverage?

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

Not politics per se, yet... the results of the inflation fueled interest rate raises. An interesting take on why major banks have started failing (again) for lay people like me :geek:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Not politics per se, yet... the results of the inflation fueled interest rate raises. An interesting take on why major banks have started failing (again) for lay people like me :geek:

is worse than the video makes seem 'cause while is not same bailouts as 2008, the bank deregulation which arguable caused the US version o' the 2008 crisis were all so quick forgotten and repeated. is more than likely bank deregulation is a root cause o' the current problem. dodd-frank were only passed in 2010 for chrissakes and yet in recent years we saw a return to clinton era bank deregulation? were hamstringing dodd-frank a mass hysteria event? perhaps legislators all suffer from momento kinda brain damage? is not as if we are talking 'bout a hundred years elapsing and all those who suffered the previous stoopid is dead and buried. again, dodd-frank became law in july o' 2010. unless everybody in washington and the banking industry ages via dog years, am not seeing the excuse for the kinda stoopid we saw and called out in 2018 when Congress knee-capped dodd-frank. 

Gromnir is a fiscal conservative and even we saw how brobdingnagian myopic were the bank dereg efforts.

btw, in spite o' the hyper partisan nature o' US politics at the moment, more than a few democrats in the house and senate voted in favor o' the 2018 amendment. thanks to manchin and more than a dozen other democrats, the amendment to dodd-frank were safely filibuster proof. 

aside, is a whole lotta reasons to justifiable dislike elizabeth warren, but she called this. listen up to 1:30... after which she talks 'bout mortgage issues which is all too likely an inevitable future problem related to banks.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?442521-7/senator-warren-banking-bill

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

Yeah, a long part about the inherent discrimination in the financial policies, but she summed up my own thoughts pretty well in the first couple of minutes. "Nobody went to jail", which is where they all went wrong. All those bank CEO's, executives and members of Board of Directors that just got their sorry asses bailed out (at tax payers expense, and it's mostly the poor who pay tax in this world) and a handsome bonus for a job well done instead of 10 years behind bars.

Edit: Never mind the complete unwillingness to learn any lessons from an even very recent past. Makes you wonder what kind of lobbying it takes to make those who otherwise had the power to stop them, just ignore the issues and sometimes even help facilitate them. A college spot for your third kid?

• Like 1