The All Things Political Topic - Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you

Elerond

18 minutes ago, Pidesco said:

Did you read the thread she wrote? Did you even take a look at the sources?

Of course not, I stopped referencing  Twitter after you guys convinced me its nothing but a cesspool of bots and Musks right-wing ideology. I do take advice

The sooner Twitter dies the better  :p

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

8 minutes ago, Pidesco said:

Did you read the thread she wrote? Did you even take a look at the sources?

Why ask questions you already know the answer to?

A reply to that thread illustrates quite a bit.

The forced birthers have a long history of assassination and terrorism, even going as far to blow a doctor's head off in a church. Yet these clowns try to make pro-choice folks as the real drivers of violence, despite evidence to the contrary. These folks are either malicious liars or incredibly ignorant.

3 minutes ago, majestic said:

Surly Twitter is only a good source when it confirms my bias ?

You naughty :biggrin:

But to break out of the parody and speak honestly, that is pretty much how such folks operate. When a media personality claims that schools are putting out litter boxes for students who identify as cats because someone showed her a video, it gets picked up and believed by several media figures and politicians despite not holding up to basic scrutiny*. When a data scientist explains how right-wing terrorism is more violent (to people, not property), it gets disbelieved by the same folks who bought into catkin children because "what about aunt teeefuh".

*fun fact, the instances of litter boxes in schools is to accommodate children needing to relieve themselves during a school lockdown in the event of a shooter.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

In other news not related to the eternal (and always deserved) mocking of one particular Obsidian forums resident (additionally recommended and appreciated by yours truly), House Republicans officially have 220 seats, likely to climb up to 221 after professional glue-sniffer Lauren Boebert escapes with her "safe" Republican district by just a few hundred votes.

...I only provide an update because I said it would be 220, while @Pidesco said it would be 219 or less and that we should bet on it. Sadly, I did not take him up on it, although I should've given that I was pretty confident it was going to be at least 220.

• Hmmm 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Just now, Bartimaeus said:

In other news not related to the eternal (and always deserved) mocking of one particular Obsidian forums resident (additionally recommended and appreciated by yours truly), House Republicans officially have 220 seats, likely to climb up to 221 after professional glue-sniffer Lauren Boebert escapes with her "safe" Republican district by just a few hundred votes.

...I only provide an update because I said it would be 220, while @Pidesco said it would be 219 or less and that we should bet on it. Sadly, I did not take him up on it, although I should've given that I was pretty confident it was going to be at least 220.

We can blame Cuomo for losing 4-6 seats in New York tbh.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

More severe gerrymandering from redistricting in a few states (and in a few cases, courts saying they're illegal but allowing them to use them anyways because of the "well, it's too close to the election to change it now" excuse or whatever) combined with bad Florida and New York turnout plus a few other just genuinely really close calls did Democrats in for the House. Warnock will probably take Georgia and make a 51-49 Democrat Senate, but in two years they'll probably lose a seat or two while we re-elect Joe Biden with who knows what happening to the House, and so nothing too much will happen on a federal level for probably the next six years...but at least the government won't be proverbially completely on fire, I suppose.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

8 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Aw, damn. It was so close, though. A couple of seats including Boebert's fell by the slimmest of margins. Still, I guess I escaped a costly loss on a bet.

• Sad 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Just now, Pidesco said:

Aw, damn. It was so close, though. A couple of seats including Boebert's fell by the slimmest of margins. Still, I guess I escaped a costly loss on a bet.

Yeah, I would've been very gladly wrong if Boebert had lost. And there were a few seats lost by about half a percentage point that some thought had a chance of going the other way...alas.

26 minutes ago, Make a contract with KP said:

The forced birthers have a long history of assassination and terrorism, even going as far to blow a doctor's head off in a church. Yet these clowns try to make pro-choice folks as the real drivers of violence, despite evidence to the contrary. These folks are either malicious liars or incredibly ignorant.

Their must simply be a way to add all abortions to left wing violence . We can all agree that is murder and countable ?

27 minutes ago, Make a contract with KP said:

*fun fact, the instances of litter boxes in schools is to accommodate children needing to relieve themselves during a school lockdown in the event of a shooter.

That sounds preposterous do you have a link for that ? 

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

14 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

I still hope that Biden won't run again but the problem with that is that the Dem's bench is looking kinda light.

I don't have any strong feelings either way, to be honest. What is a different Democrat that can win the nomination (i.e. not a progressive firebrand like Bernie Sanders) going to accomplish that Biden isn't/hasn't tried to? I'd like for him to be a touch more progressive as well as forceful in his pursuit of a few particular issues, but the way he has played his very limited hand has been competent, he himself has generally stayed out of the limelight (thank the merciful stars), the government has been dumpster fire-free...given that a Democrat-controlled Congress to this point hasn't really supported much in the way of progressive initiatives or reforms already, is there really even a point? Maybe, I don't know, but he doesn't really seem like he's been "the issue", so to speak.

Edited by Bartimaeus

14 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

More severe gerrymandering from redistricting in a few states (and in a few cases, courts saying they're illegal but allowing them to use them anyways because of the "well, it's too close to the election to change it now" excuse or whatever) combined with bad Florida and New York turnout plus a few other just genuinely really close calls did Democrats in for the House. Warnock will probably take Georgia and make a 51-49 Democrat Senate, but in two years they'll probably lose a seat or two while we re-elect Joe Biden with who knows what happening to the House, and so nothing too much will happen on a federal level for probably the next six years...but at least the government won't be proverbially completely on fire, I suppose.

Yeah, I think Wisconsin is especially bad where over half the state voted for Democrats but they only have 30% of seats. Though I could be confusing national reps with local there. Regardless, it's clearly unequal.

The big takeaway is that most people are very turned off by the culture war being waged by Republicans and by Trump. While Trump may get dumped (we can excuse a coup, but draw the line at losing a midterm), I think the GOP donors are mostly coastal elites who live in blue cities and are obsessed with culture war stuff so I doubt they're going to drop the panics they've been pushing very easily. This is probably a boon for Democrats in electoral terms, but a very dangerous thing for regular people who don't want to be gunned down. RIP Club Q.

New York was a combination of (failed) gerrymandering and a fake crime wave promoted by the media. I'm not too sure what to think about Florida, my gut tells me Democrats went to close to the center there by getting a former republican and a cop to run, which is likely to not to appeal to more leftwing folks while centrists and right-leaning folks already have Rhonda Sanctimonious and Little Marco to vote for.

8 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

I still hope that Biden won't run again but the problem with that is that the Dem's bench is looking kinda light.

Who else would run? Bernie is done at this point and I think AOC is too young. At this point I don't see Biden not running or anyone to replace him.

3 minutes ago, majestic said:

Their must simply be a way to add all abortions to left wing violence . We can all agree that is murder and countable ?

Well if we figure that every dollar of propery damage is worth 10-100 lives, then breaking several windows is worse than the Holocaust. Antifa confirmed for the real nazis.

4 minutes ago, majestic said:

That sounds preposterous do you have a link for that ? 

Yes.

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/misinformation/urban-myth-litter-boxes-schools-became-gop-talking-point-rcna51439

The Jefferson County school district disputed Ganahl’s claims and said its dress code prohibits costumes at school. The district — where Columbine High School is located — has been stocking classrooms with small amounts of cat litter since 2017, but as part of “go buckets” that contain emergency supplies in case students are locked in a classroom during a shooting. The buckets also contain candy for diabetic students, a map of the school, flashlights, wet wipes and first aid items.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

Its a real problem for the Dems, Im surprised they cant find or  unite  behind one single credible candidate outside of Biden

Biden did his job beating Trump in 2020 and he has done well in other things but I dont want him running in 2024. His age is a problem and very few Dem politicians are prepared to say that publically 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

1 minute ago, Make a contract with KP said:

Yeah, I think Wisconsin is especially bad where over half the state voted for Democrats but they only have 30% of seats. Though I could be confusing national reps with local there. Regardless, it's clearly unequal.

Federally, it's 6-2 for House seats in Wisconsin...but what I've heard is that the real filth is in the state legislative, where Republicans very nearly have a "can override the governor"-proof supermajority (but not quite - enjoy your annoying Democrat governor, attorney general, and secretary of state), which wouldn't seem to make a lot of sense with the vote distribution, but I have not personally dove into it to actually confirm it.

12 minutes ago, Make a contract with KP said:

The big takeaway is that most people are very turned off by the culture war being waged by Republicans and by Trump. While Trump may get dumped (we can excuse a coup, but draw the line at losing a midterm), I think the GOP donors are mostly coastal elites who live in blue cities and are obsessed with culture war stuff so I doubt they're going to drop the panics they've been pushing very easily. This is probably a boon for Democrats in electoral terms, but a very dangerous thing for regular people who don't want to be gunned down. RIP Club Q.

New York was a combination of (failed) gerrymandering and a fake crime wave promoted by the media. I'm not too sure what to think about Florida, my gut tells me Democrats went to close to the center there by getting a former republican and a cop to run, which is likely to not to appeal to more leftwing folks while centrists and right-leaning folks already have Rhonda Sanctimonious and Little Marco to vote for.

Yeah, for reasons mentioned before, I'm not super inclined to make any big conclusions about this election, because 2018 looked like such a vehement rejection of the entirety of Trumpism, and then two years later, he was millimeters away from being re-elected...time will tell.

I just love the nickname Rhonda Sanctimonious... but he didn't back away from the culture war stuff either so I don't think the election was a repudiation of that. 

As far as Biden, I dunno, I never really liked the guy and he seemed not to understand the political realities of the election in which he was running. I think now he gets that the today's Republican party isn't the one he was used to working with and he has progressed on a few issues but I'm concerned about his age, because he doesn't seem as sharp and the fact that he's better outside of the spotlight, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but you also never know what rambling nonsense may fall out of his mouth when he starts speaking. As far as replacements go AOC is never going to be it unless the country changes somewhat drastically, Bernie's year was 2016, dunno about Mayor Pete and Kamala either... hence my complaint about the Dem's bench. 

I haven't given it a lot of thought, kinda just thinking "out loud."

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

22 minutes ago, Hurlshort said:

It is a shame that Kamala Harris hasn't been able to capitalize on her postion. Pete Buttigieg, maybe?

Both Trump and Biden are way too old, but I know that won't stop Trumpsters.

But if we talking about the impact of age Biden is much more ...older

Trump also shouldnt be running but he has his wits and senses about him. Im not sure about his physical health but his mental health doesnt seem impaired at all 

John Milton 

1 hour ago, Hurlshort said:

It is a shame that Kamala Harris hasn't been able to capitalize on her postion. Pete Buttigieg, maybe?

Harris has been plagued by bad press and getting VP assignments that she doesn't want and may hurt her more than help her in the future. No idea what's going on with Mayor Pete but I found something about him off-putting back when he was running for prez. I think Harris' approval is around the same or lower than Biden's but no idea about Buttigieg.

Free games updated 3/4/21

4 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Federally, it's 6-2 for House seats in Wisconsin...but what I've heard is that the real filth is in the state legislative, where Republicans very nearly have a "can override the governor"-proof supermajority (but not quite - enjoy your annoying Democrat governor, attorney general, and secretary of state), which wouldn't seem to make a lot of sense with the vote distribution, but I have not personally dove into it to actually confirm it.

The tl;dr that I've heard is that Wisconsin is hopelessly gerrymandered to the point it's essentially held hostage. Which does track with Republicans generally.

4 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Yeah, for reasons mentioned before, I'm not super inclined to make any big conclusions about this election, because 2018 looked like such a vehement rejection of the entirety of Trumpism, and then two years later, he was millimeters away from being re-elected...time will tell.

Trump almost getting reelected in 2020 is more to the stupidity intricacy of the election than anything. He's a strange figure in that he's an unpopular populist, having never won the popular vote and having half the country despise him. I'd like to say that the coup hurt him, but I honestly doubt it. If anything that helped secure his base.

4 hours ago, ShadySands said:

I just love the nickname Rhonda Sanctimonious... but he didn't back away from the culture war stuff either so I don't think the election was a repudiation of that. 

Rhonda Sanctimonious is a great name, no doubt there.

Florida and New York were the outliers this year. I'd like to say that his opponent being a moderate Republican probably helped him out, but Florida is crazy so who really knows?

9 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Its a real problem for the Dems, Im surprised they cant find or  unite  behind one single credible candidate outside of Biden

Biden did his job beating Trump in 2020 and he has done well in other things but I dont want him running in 2024. His age is a problem and very few Dem politicians are prepared to say that publically 

Bernie Sanders 2024!!! 🇺🇸

Edit: Eventually enough people are going to get tired of the current system and want to move on to the twenty first century... a Democrat party stuck in a 1960AD way of thinking and a Republican party evolved as far as a 1960BC way of thinking.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

From local news in the fight between the people and the corporations...

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2022/nov/23/police-investigating-suspicious-fire-at-home-of-friendlyjordies

Famous (in Australia) critic of NSW right wing politicians (and Scott Morrison) as well as of too powerful corporations was the target of an attempted assassination....

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, Chairchucker said:

Friendly Jordies kinda sucks tbh.

Anyway here's a very normal Coloradan speaking about how relieved he is that his child, who murdered people in a gay bar, is not gay.

It helps make you believe certain "character traits" are genetically determined 😖

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chairchucker said:

Friendly Jordies kinda sucks tbh.

Anyway here's a very normal Coloradan speaking about how relieved he is that his child, who murdered people in a gay bar, is not gay.

Father of the year material.

• Like 1