Never actually played a Monk before...gonna do it now: does Tuotlio's Palm work with a melee weapon in the Main Hand?

Basically I have never played the Monk Class despire hundreds of hours in the game and I have heard good things about the Forbidden Fist+Trickser; I want to use the Magistrate's Cudgel in the main hand and Tuotilo's Palm in the off; does the main hand have to be unarmed or can it a weapon?

Yes, you can use it with a weapon in your main hand or just your fist. It counts as an unarmed strike so it benefits from Transcendent Suffering, which makes it the best shield in the game if you're a monk, since bashing shields otherwise do not scale with damage, ACC or PEN, and thus quickly become mediocre weapons. It also benefits from BOTH the weapon and shield and dual wielding talents, so it's worth taking both. For a monk, you'll definitely want the Balanced Shield upgrade, since it gives you a great boost to defenses based on the number of wounds you have. As for the other upgrade, it's up to you, but if you play on PotD difficulty you'll want the bonus to ACC.