Has anyone tried using the spell Miasma of Dull-Mindedness on an Orlan Wizard with extraordinarily high will?

Based on some calculations, it should be possible with the right equipment to make it a guaranteed miss and thus self-trigger Defiant Resolve. This assumes that the Spellward amulet/starlit garb spell defense bonus works on our own spells, too, of course.

Also, the wiki states that Defiant Resolve’s duration is unaffected by INT; is this true?

• Like 1

No idea about the duration and I never tried that out, but that should work. Defiant Resolve also triggers on non-misses. It triggers every time your will gets attacked, no matter miss/graze/hit or crit. That's why it is so very good against dragons (who do a will attack every few secs with their fear aura).

So even if your spell isn't 100% missing your own character it would still be a viable approach I think.

I just thought about Dazzling Lights being the safer (and cheaper) option - and I thought it did friendly fire, too... but the wiki says it's foe only? But I really thought it was not. Hm... 🤔

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Maybe because it’s not Foe Only in Deadfire?

I was thinking of maxing will with 18 INT and 20 RES (or 19, 19 if you prefer a bit longer durations over 1 deflection), putting 14 in MIG and CON, dumping Dex and having 9 PER. With the equipment Bat**** Crazy Druid has except for hat and belt (and a ring of deflection instead of bramble ring), which would be replaced with Company Captain’s Cap and Belt of the Royal Deadfire Cannoneer, we can reach an 13% chance of the spell grazing the wild Orlan. Use little savior, and all you need is +8 will to get immunity. Maybe rest in a place in the keep that gives a bonus to RES or INT and use a consumable that increases  will, or use Llengrath’s Safeguard…

oh yeah; I would also wield steadfast.

Edited by hansvedic

Dazzling Lights does friendly fire in Deadfire - maybe that's why I remember it incorrectly for PoE...

If it's not a solo char: Holy Power and Crowns for the Faithful should be your friends. ;)

Funny thing: once you triggered Defiant Resolve you will be over the threshold for q00% misses because of Defiant Resolve itself. :)
Contemplating if there's some spellbinding gear that targets will and that you could use on yourself - but so far nothin comes to mind. Redfield for example has an aura that constantly attacks Will (like a Dragon) - but I know no way to turn it against oneself.  

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

24 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

Dazzling Lights does friendly fire in Deadfire - maybe that's why I remember it incorrectly for PoE...

If it's not a solo char: Holy Power and Crowns for the Faithful should be your friends. ;)

Funny thing: once you triggered Defiant Resolve you will be over the threshold for q00% misses because of Defiant Resolve itself. :)
Contemplating if there's some spellbinding gear that targets will and that you could use on yourself - but so far nothin comes to mind. Redfield for example has an aura that constantly attacks Will (like a Dragon) - but I know no way to turn it against oneself.  

For a solo character, could use Good Friend crossbow for Holy Power spellbind!

EDIT: this would allow for different headgear if one doesn’t wish to use the company captain’s cap. Still, the immunities on that cap are nice.

Edited by hansvedic
  • Like 1

Another nice thing about this build idea is that we only need 2 pieces of equipment to boost every stat except PER: the cap and the belt. Add in a PER enchant on your armor and you’ve got boosts to all stats. Then add in rings of protection and deflection, the gloves of speed, and maybe a preservation enchant, and you’ve got quite a defensive powerhouse.

Don’t forget arcane veil and wall of draining, of course!

EDIT: and llengrath’s displaced image, too, for reflex.

Edited by hansvedic
  • Like 1