1.0.4 update Technical issue: slower running speed

Had the same issues today, seems like it has to do with the new natural explorer rework of higher speed but disabled during combat. Seems like it makes you go from +50%spd to -50% spd instead of neutralize the buff to 0% 

• Like 2

Same here... they totally messed the game up... as soon as I damage any creature in the game, from that point on, forever... I run or walk at a snail's pace.... its about a 500% difference in speed for me (I timed it).  The new patch screwed me up so bad, that I can run across a bridge I built in only 5 seconds before I damage a bug.  But once I attack anything in the game, now it takes me 25 seconds to cross that same bridge.... that is a 500% slow down in speed.  What am I supposed to do for the rest of the game?  Avoid all combat?  What is the point of the game anymore?  I can't do anything unless I want to spend hours just slow-moving everywhere.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mikala Morgan said:

After the update “1.0.4”, whenever I go to kill an enemy, my run cycle goes from fast to walking speed and my walking speed even slower. It only fixes itself when I close out the entire game. If I don’t hit any enemies, I’m fine. 

This same situation happens to me when I unequip the mutation. Even happens underwater in the Koi Pond. Please fix this ASAP.

• Like 1

after getting this same problem I took off natural explorer entirely, saved and closed out of the game, loaded back in and I'm still slow as absolute molasses. put the mutation back on and no change to my speed. I'm so freaking slow it's miserable. please fix. this is the opposite of fun. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, morgoniustwonk said:

Same here... they totally messed the game up... as soon as I damage any creature in the game, from that point on, forever... I run or walk at a snail's pace.... its about a 500% difference in speed for me (I timed it).  The new patch screwed me up so bad, that I can run across a bridge I built in only 5 seconds before I damage a bug.  But once I attack anything in the game, now it takes me 25 seconds to cross that same bridge.... that is a 500% slow down in speed.  What am I supposed to do for the rest of the game?  Avoid all combat?  What is the point of the game anymore?  I can't do anything unless I want to spend hours just slow-moving everywhere.

Yes, exactly! I had to sadly make my game become “custom” and play on “god mode” so I won’t die from not being able to hit anything. It’s almost un-playable. This might become a deal breaker for me if this doesn’t get fixed soon..

30 minutes ago, everyoneelse said:

after getting this same problem I took off natural explorer entirely, saved and closed out of the game, loaded back in and I'm still slow as absolute molasses. put the mutation back on and no change to my speed. I'm so freaking slow it's miserable. please fix. this is the opposite of fun. 

So it only works if you have “natural explorer” on? 😯 I don’t like that, I really like my other mutations.

Same issue - PC Steam.  

My save prior to the update had Natural Explorer enabled.  I didnt notice any run speed issues prior to combat, killed a weevil right after loading, and turning off natural explorer, the run speed is extremely slow.  With the mutation on, run speed seems about normal run speed should be with no buff.  

Killed a bunch of weevils and it was extremely slow.  Tried loading the save on a couple different PCs, but the issue was the same.

I ended up killing a few more mobs (something that I couldnt 1 shot like a weevil), killed a red soldier ant, and then the run speed seemed to fix itself again.  Seems like being out of combat does not register on mobs that you can 1 shot or kill too quickly.

Once the run speed seemed to be corrected, I went back and killed a weevil and it was super slow again. 

Not sure I can edit my previous comment, but I tried to extend a weevil fight by just punching it, letting the fight go on for over 5-ish seconds... doesnt seem to be a timed thing.  I seem to get the same affect where my run speed slows down if I try to fight a bug that tries to disengage from me (like weevils and aphids, have not tried tadpoles or boatman).  I can reliably fix the slow run speed (with Natural Explorer on) by killing a bug that will fight back.

My sprint is at walking speed at start, before I even get to kill anything. Way too slow! Intolerable. Ruined the game at the worst time. Just got to the most interesting part of the story, made it under the shed. So upsetting. I want to carry on but I can’t. Won’t be playing until it’s fixed. Nope! Not at this speed. FIX IT, Obsidian! Please! 

Same for me. I hit any non aggressive creatures and I am a snail unless I leave the biome or an aggressive creature agros onto me. Honestly so tired of the game getting ruined more and more with each ”patch”. I am just going to put Grounded away for a while until I forget how fun it used to be before all the patch nerfs... 

PC - gamepass version

There seems to be a temp fix ingame that my friend discovered. If you unequip the natual explorer mutation and then go into combat, it should reset your movement modifiers once the combat ends. It sucks to not be able to reliably use the mutation rn, since it seems soooo good when it's working, but at least if this works y'all can circumvent the issue. Just unequip nat. explorer, fight a mob, and wait for combat to end.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2022 at 10:01 PM, manekdala said:

There seems to be a temp fix ingame that my friend discovered. If you unequip the natual explorer mutation and then go into combat, it should reset your movement modifiers once the combat ends. It sucks to not be able to reliably use the mutation rn, since it seems soooo good when it's working, but at least if this works y'all can circumvent the issue. Just unequip nat. explorer, fight a mob, and wait for combat to end.

Same happening to me, even restarting the application and then starting a new game after it happened didn’t fix the issue so wondering did it write something wrong to an ini somewhere? It seemed to initially trigger when I killed a weevil near the kid case in my normal game and no combo of equipping the mutation, unequipping, getting in combat with other creatures or like I said a new save file solved it.

-Hello

The team is aware of the issue regarding the Natural Explorer mutation, and it will be fixed in an upcoming patch. I apologize for the frustration that this has caused, and please feel free to submit a support ticket if you're still running into this or any other issue when the patch is available. 

We also have an Issue Tracker with the most common reported community issues. 

Obsidian Support

Thanks for your patience while we work to resolve this and other issues!